Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes Update

Poster: A snowHead
Right, back home after a week in Tignes. Here's the lowdown:-
Snow is firm, very firm or extremely firm, cover on the top part of the glacier is ok as is 3500 but there are a lot of lanes set out on the later. There is some ice showing through on the upper parts.
Champagny again has lots of lanes set and is very hard with a lot of ice and on the left side there are a lot of HOLES appearing. The bottom section is pretty thin and you need to pick up a fair bit of speed to get to the return chair.
Rosolin has large sections of rock showing through on the lift itself and is therefore closed. they hope to have it open by the end of the month. They are trying to add snow with diggers at the moment to build up height.
Although the glacier is certainly a bit scratchy and has definetly receeded from last year, skiing is not that bad.
It would help if it snowed though. I will be back every week now until mid november so will try to keep you all informed Little Angel
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
When did you arrive in Tignes, LZK? We left Sat 6th from the boot camp thingy.. You described the conditions well Sad
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
DaveC, Was there from sunday until today
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
DaveC, what were your thoughts of the boot camp? I'm out on 22nd.

Thanks for the update LARGEZOOKEEPER, the conditions don't sound very good at all Sad

Were the runs with the lanes set on them actually closed to recreational skiers as that is the impression I got when I spoke to the Tourist office yesterday?

If Rosolin is closed, does that mean there is no fun park?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ray Zorro, All lanes set are closed in the morning until training has finished and no, there is no park at the moment
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
LARGEZOOKEEPER, Thanks, was it very busy?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ray Zorro wrote:
DaveC, what were your thoughts of the boot camp? I'm out on 22nd.

Tignes was a bit dead (there were the race trainers, the five of us, the alpaka bar staff + the chalet staff that we saw), pretty much everything closed. Snow wasn't great, drinking was alright, still had a laugh. Didn't particularly get on with Atomic skis myself, they only have Metrons and Nomads (stiff racebred and stiff racebred with an allmountain sticker) - would of been a lot happier on something fatter and funner personally in the conditions.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
LARGEZOOKEEPER, What is Corniche being used for ? There was a mini park there last year, but it has had race lanes on it in other years.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
How does it compare to previous years at this time???

Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
LARGEZOOKEEPER wrote:
Ray Zorro, All lanes set are closed in the morning until training has finished and no, there is no park at the moment

In August there was a large park near the top but there were no lanes either. Toofy Grin
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
edit

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Fri 12-10-07 12:14; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hopefully things have not worsened from this?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
But there were also some nicer bits! (14/08/07)
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Pah softies. Last years PSB taught a lot folks about what REAL ice was. having instruction on proper ice is fantastic for learning to get a proper edge in. A hint of skid and you are off in which ever direction the slope wishes to take you.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The long range GFS forecast shows seasonal temperatures and more unsettled weather from the middle of next week, so hopefully this will mean a bit of a top up on the glacier.
snow report
DaveC, Did you notice if they had any Atomic females ski's?
snow report
boredsurfin wrote:
... Hopefully things have not worsened from this?

If there was a fun park in August, but not now, it sounds like they may have worsened Confused
latest report
Ray Zorro, The Corniche lift at the top is shown as working, that is why I asked what it was being used for.
snow report
Linds wrote:
DaveC, Did you notice if they had any Atomic females ski's?

They did - black (Royal/) Minx's and another one... tequilaslammer might remember what it was.
ski holidays
rjs, sounds like you know the resort much better than me. Which is the Corniche lift - it isn't marked on this map (unless it is the lift that isn't marked Laughing ) http://www.tignes.net/GB_plan-pistes.html
snow conditions
Ray Zorro, The lack of park may be more to do with maximising training lanes rather than conditions. I guess the teams pay big bucks to train in the lanes. (and to have LARGE in attendance as well Toofy Grin )
I imagine the income from recreational skiers is miniscule by comparison Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Ray Zorro, You can see it here. It is the lift above 3500.

You get a clearer idea of the layout if you click on the diagram at the bottom of the page.
latest report
boredsurfin, A lane is only 10 Euro per day. You can cram a lot of racers into a small space compared with recreational skiers.
ski holidays
Everything's crossed for good conditions for those going out soon! snowHead snowHead Where's those snow gods??
ski holidays
rjs, Thanks for that, maybe for €10 the snowHeads going to boot camp could rent a couple each day Laughing
snow report
rjs, There are a few lanes set up and I suppose there is a park if you consider a kicker and a half to be a park!
ski holidays
So any update on conditions?

Looks all right from the webcams and there even seems to be a chance of some snow on Thursday/Friday according to one report I found but it'd be good to hear from anyone who has been there Very Happy
ski holidays
roga, I understand that LARGEZOOKEEPER, is there now for a short visit. I am sure he will update us on his return Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks Ray Zorro - will look out for that Smile
ski holidays
From the webcam and weather forecast it looks as if it's been snowing today snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
boredsurfin wrote:
But there were also some nicer bits! (14/08/07)

Hey I remember that day!!
snow report
So, just got back. Conditions much the same as last week. A huge snowfall of 1,5 cm was reported on wednesday night. It's still well 'ard but skiing is quite pleasant if you like that kind of snow. Back up on Sunday, see some of you next week.
snow conditions
LARGEZOOKEEPER, is Rosolin open yet? Are the training lanes getting down to glacier ice on some of the gates?

Thanks for the update - much appreciated.
snow report
LARGEZOOKEEPER, and to recognise you . . you'll be wearing a puce carnation and a lime green merkin?
snow conditions
Masque, Laughing Laughing

If that does prove to be the case, I hope you'll take photos!
snow report
rob@rar, Rosolin is still closed but they are doing some fairly major work (removing large quantities of rock). Almost all of the lanes have ice showing through.

Masque, and a lime green merkin? You don't know how close you are Cool
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy