Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Solden - Reviews please

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm going in mid Jan.
Slightly concerned as I've heard it's the Benidorm of the Alps
Also, what are the lift queues like etc...

Cheers, Wolfie
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think it's Soll that you've heard about - not too many Brit TO's have travelled to Solden in the past, but can't help you out with a review sorry However, there was a pretty good review of Solden on the St Moritz thread somewhere last week!

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 25-10-04 17:03; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Wolfie, Hello Wolfie, welcome to snowHeads.

Are you sure your not confusing the resort with Soldeu, which is a tad on the rowdy side.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Found it - One writer's view of St Moritz further down Resorts, and a posting by Johnfmh, sounds great!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Wolfie,
Welcome to snowHeads - do you ever get people calling you Foxy by mistake? (like Wolfie's girlfriend's mum in Citizen Smith!)
I've only visited Sölden for an afternoon whilst staying up the Ötztal valley in Obergurgl.
The town itself is quite busy with through traffic, and there were lots of shops restaurants and bars/nightclubs. You have to get a cable car to all the skiing (including the Rettenbach Glacier) although you can ski all the way down to the main street in the town.

Also a day trip on the Post Bus up to Obergurgl for a change of scenery would be possible.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for that link IQ and thanks for the welcome from everyone else
Sounds pretty good to me.
I'll let you know how I get on

POWER TO THE PEOPLE - Wolfie Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
IceQueen wrote:
I think it's Soll that you've heard about - not too many Brit TO's have travelled to Solden in the past, but can't help you out with a review sorry However, there was a pretty good review of Solden on the St Moritz thread somewhere last week!

Nope, that's Solden (actually Sölden or Soelden), not Soll or Soldeu. It's loud and raucous, the favoured destination for young Germans and Austrians, good variety of lap dancing clubs and loud bars. Hoch Sölden is apparently much nicer.

That said, I wouldn't worry too much, there's some quite nice restuarants and some quieter bars. The snow record is really good of course and Obergurgl is just up the road.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yes, good loud German Apres Ski . Plenty of Dutch,Scanny's . As previous post goes Lap Dancing , strippers etc . It snot a pretty viallge anymore in daylight but at night its good. If you want to get away from the brits ( St Anton ) and get into the Austro/German Scene ( although on a touristic scale) go for it !
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
stanton wrote:
Yes, good loud German Apres Ski . Plenty of Dutch,Scanny's . As previous post goes Lap Dancing , strippers etc . It snot a pretty viallge anymore in daylight but at night its good. If you want to get away from the brits ( St Anton ) and get into the Austro/German Scene ( although on a touristic scale) go for it !

Hmmm
I wonder how 30 lads and lasses from Northern Ireland will fit into the mix!!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Your have fun im sure !
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Make sure you try the bar in the Salomon Ski Centre on the glacier. The owner has purposefully not gone for the umPaPa music and ski booted hairy german dancers. Its an oasis of calm in Solden, get a seat at the end of the day by the picture window and take the last run home. One of the best views of any bar in the alps (sitting inside).
Beer Himmel (heaven!) in the centre of town can be fun at night, along with a club just down the road (forgotten the name) wher you go down some stairs to get in. If you go in drunk you may get lost because its so big and is like 2 clubs in one! I got chatting to the bar man, he'd been working nights there for 17 years (every night in the winter). Scary.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Cheers Lewis - I'm into chilled out ambient and indie tunes so that could be the place
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Here's that link for anyone interested:

http://www.dcski.com/articles/view_article.php?article_id=133&mode=headlines

I really enjoyed Sölden: the terrain rocks. Lots of high altitude piste with plenty of snow. Also, when conditions are good, you can score major vert. at Sölden. If you want a Zurs type experience, stay at Hochsölden (2,000 meters).

I stayed in the village and had a ball. It's a lively place that competes well with STANTON for apres ski. My wife also loved Solden--very unpretentious but with wonderful terrain. I would definitely return there. snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I go along wit that. St Anton IMHO has gone way down hill in the last 10-12 years with regard to APres Ski. There are many other lpces in Austria with far better like Ischgl,Solden,Saalbach to name a few.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I have to admit to being a Solden fan having been there several times from 1986 onwards (been lots of times in summer as well - it's great walking country). There has been enormous investment in the skiing during that time and there is now (I think) something like 200km of linked piste. Originally, we used to stay in Hochsolden but that has become rather isolated (first the 7.00 pm bus went, then all buses, and now the single chair lift shuts at 4.00pm instead of running till 6.00pm) and the two general shops reduced to one an now to none. With the development, the town of Solden has got very busy and noisy. However, if you want to enjoy the skiing without getting involved with the raucous nightlife, ther are plenty of B&Bs a bit 'up the hill' from Solden that you can book through the tourist office or online. These offer quiet friendly accommodation. There are plenty of restaurants up there among the houses or you can walk down to town (10 to 30 minutes depending on where you are staying). Many of them really are ski in ski out - from my own favourite at Plor, it is about six steps across the car park going out and you can ski directly to the ski room door coming back.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy