Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

new jacket what to buy

Poster: A snowHead
As it say's i am in the market for a new jacket. i know the north face free thinker is great but cost is a bit high. Which other jackets are as good that you could recommend. I did fancy one of thouse stitchless models.

cheers (its getting colder Very Happy )
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
bigtoe, you need to go and try on loads. I always find that some jackets that look great on a hanger feel uncomfortable, or are just wrong for me. Some are stiff and uncomfortable and unyielding. Sometimes the hoods don't sit right. I find that even more true of trousers; goodness knows what shape people some of them are made for! And remember that what you wear underneath is just as important. Pointless buying a highly technical jacket then wearing a cotton T shirt or sweatshirt underneath. My current jacket is Eider - comfortable, high spec and bought in a sale!

A few seasons ago there were some jackets with inflatable inner linings around - you could blow them up when it was cold, and let the air out when it wasn't. Did they take off? (!) I am not aware of seeing any more recently.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I can heartily recommend the Keela Munro. I wore one myself for 4 or 5 seasons and only wore something else last year as I got it as a freebie. Nevertheless, I think I'll go back to a Munro this season or next.
Honestly, I had the jacket first and only arranged the deal with Keela because I rated it so highly.
It's made in Scotland where they know about bad weather and Keela have developed their own, highly effective, breathable fabric so there's no expensive lisencing to pay to people like Gortex. They sell mainly to the rescue services rather than the public and so don't have the fashionable reputation (or price tag) of the sort of products you see in Snow and Rock etc.

Now, this might seem like a hollow recommendation once you realise that we sell Keela product here, but look at the feedback from other snowHeads and that should put a bit of a context on it: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=2698
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
i recently got a Patagonia Stretch Element from www.planetfear.com half price (about £140). worth checking to see if they have any left. it really is excellent. light weight, soft fabric (for a hard shell), good spec but not over-specificied and has welded seams which i think is what you're after when you're taling about stitchless. it would be a decent buy at full retail IMO
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Decide what sort you want, just a shell or insulated etc. I bought a Free Thinker last year and its great really love it even though its a bit pricey. Actually found a seller on FleaBay so the cost was a bit less. Have used and still have numerous jackets but its the one I'll always take now. Its really lightweight and gives plenty of free movement, the offset zip is a good idea too although other manufacturers do this also I beleive. It is a little short so if you want a long jacket this isnt the one. Best thing to do is try on a few jackets in store to determine what want. Remember different manufacturers have different cuts to their clothing and sizing can be a problem too
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I've got a C & A Rodeo jacket circa 1984 if you fancy it, pm me for pics....
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
martski wrote:

Go on post some pics anyway Smile , and if anyone fancies a brand new never worn on the slopes, EVF ( Read C& A ) one piece ski suit make me an offer Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Bones wrote:
martski wrote:

Go on post some pics anyway Smile , and if anyone fancies a brand new never worn on the slopes, EVF ( Read C& A ) one piece ski suit make me an offer Very Happy

That's a very stylish way to mark your 100th post Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
bigtoe, Another vote for Keela I paid £124.91 for mine Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
another vote for the freethinker, its a great jacket, i love mine
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Surely the jacket you need depends on what you want it for? Needs for extended hut to hut touring are completely different to those for someone who skis on-piste, only in sunny weather! As someone coming from a mountaineering background (over 20yrs) before starting to ski I have found that normal piste skiing, in weather good enough for the lifts to run, in the alps, is pretty undemanding of clothing. Virtually every jacket available is adequate weatherproofness-wise, so just get the most comfortable, best fitting one that you like the look of (and can afford!)
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I got one of these in the sales earlier this year.

Looks, feels and fits well. Top quality and a fair bit cheaper than jackets with the word "ski" in front of them.

Mine was black, which is more a very dark grey/slate colour.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mosha Marc,

Looks a very nice jacket to me
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks FenlandSkier, got to do it in style havent you wink
snow conditions
 brian
brian
I got an arcteryx theta ar in the sales in the US this springtime. I've used it hillwalking in the summer and it's a great shell but there's no way I'd pay the UK price for it Shocked
snow conditions
I've bought a few things US..but you need to have them brought over as the duty takes the shine off it. I have gotten caught most times..
That said, you can get some great deals but I'd say the best ones have now gone...and you will only be able to find last years stock and odd sizes.....IME.
snow conditions
Another vote for Keela.
snow report
Arno wrote:
i recently got a Patagonia Stretch Element from www.planetfear.com half price (about £140). worth checking to see if they have any left. it really is excellent. light weight, soft fabric (for a hard shell), good spec but not over-specificied and has welded seams which i think is what you're after when you're taling about stitchless. it would be a decent buy at full retail IMO

Arno this looks just what i am after but it does not mention a snow skirt. is there one. cheers all
snow conditions
bigtoe, no - it does have a loop of fabric which connects the front and the back of the jacket running between your legs which stops the jacket riding up. i think snow skirts are a bit of a waste of time so not an issue for me, but I know some people like them
latest report
admin, you're like the Victor Kiam of ski jackets.
snow report
I just got a arcteryx side winder yesterday seems nice so far Smile but not had chance to wear yet !
snow report
I'm selling 2 jackets in the Buy, Sell, Exchange section, a brand new eVent 66 North Iceland one

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=30106

and a barely used Keela

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=30372

am open to offers on both

Pimping over Wink
ski holidays
The Munro has a snowskirt (which has proved invaluable to me)

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/snowStuff.php?snowThing=munro

Little Angel
latest report
bigtoe, why not pimp it up and go for a Bonfire... ridiculously warm, breathable and waterproof..

http://www.boardwise.com/estorepro/storedetail.asp?productid=143052&brand=Bonfire

The "Strobe" looks a lot better than the photo on this webpage.

I bought a Bonfire Triumph down filled jacket a couple of seasons ago. The quality, warmth, breatability etc etc are outstanding. It kept me warm during achilly season in Canada... although it was way too warm to wear for spring skiing...

I think a lot of skiers might find some absolute gems if they expand their search to include jackets labelled as "Snowboard"... there are some truely awesome garments snowHead
ski holidays
Oh and for those interested.. Bonfire is owned by Salomon
ski holidays
Mrs Trenmold has for years sworn by a Helly Hansen down filled puffy jacket which is very warm as she feels the cold and quite light in weight which I think is essential for skiing / boarding. I have now seen the light and bought a puffy Nike ACG (or something) down filled jacket in the sale at Cotswold Outdoors at Hedge End near Southampton about half price £80 a year or so ago. Personally I am usually warm when skiing but this very warm jacket has zippy vents under the arms for cooling and I find in most conditions I only need a wicking vest and tee or polo shirt underneath and I really love the light weight.

The extra benefit of these down jackets over conventional ski jackets is that you can squeeze the air out of them and roll them up until they fit in a carrier bag so they can go in your luggage and you do not need to wear them on the journey while humping prodigious amounts of luggage around - something I hate about "normal" bulky ski jackets.
snow conditions
So many options..

Just missed out on an american free thinker.

Love the cangbang also the NF sedition 2.

Also a Nike ACG is on the list.

Trouble is i don't want to pay the rip of full price so am looking for deals.

Thanks for all the links, the Changbang may be coming my way,will let you know Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
A man of taste.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
mrtoastie wrote:
Oh and for those interested.. Bonfire is owned by Salomon

And didnt I read somewhere they are owned by Adidas Puzzled

Couple of used Freethinkers on fleabay at the mo Smile
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I think Salomon are owned by Atomic now.
snow conditions
big toe,just rang chesire oaks ealier and they got free thinkers for £228, theyve got a few white ones but there getting more stock end of november if your still intrested
snow report
The Freethinker appears to be popular. So I looked up a review. After reading this one they appear to be fairly similar spec-wise to the Keela Munro.
So why would you pay £228 for a Freethinker jacket rather than under £150 for a Munro?
Genuine question: It's a big difference in price and I'd like to understand the reasoning; what are you getting for the extra £80?
ski holidays
im not saying one is better than the the other, havent a clue as a matter of fact,but just read his post that he likes a freethinker,so i just posted the cheapest iv seen it
snow conditions
 brian
brian
admin, I trust gore-tex's reputation in producing quality fabrics. Don't know enough about Keela's, although I guess enthusiastic reviews over a year or 2 from snowHead s might change that.

The TNF jacket is a bit more contemporary style-wise (although that doesn't matter hugely to me).
latest report
bigtoe, I've got a Degre jacket that I'm thinking of parting with. Only worn on 4 trips. No photos unfortunately, but if you might be interested, I'll photo for you. PM me if interested.
latest report
Cheers for al the help.

To be honest the Free thinker does look a great jacket and yes the look was the main reason for going for it against a lot of others (sad but true). I am sure a lot of others KEELA and others are just as good.

In the end I managed to get a great deal on a NIKE ACG Hybride, from the ebay. Similar in looks i.e consept type style but possibly in my view better colours (although the white Free thinker looks great) Its just the outer shell.

So next question is as I have just got the outer shell should I go hunting for the second layer or just make do with other thin fleece tops ect. I cant really see how a second layer attaches to the jacket any how. I was kind of expecvting to see a 2nd zip for a in/out fleece. But there are no buttons or anything to attach a second layer to.

My last ski jacket had thinsulate insulation in it. I never got cold, but I was on a lot of occasions to far to hot. I thought that with this style of jacket may suit me better as I can now ski with just a tee shirt under and a flleece in a rucksack.

What does the rest of you do.
snow report
Quote:

What does the rest of you do

Avoid anything with a Nike label!
latest report
You might not know how the jacket performs until you try it in earnest.

I have two weights of mid layer, either a MH monkeyman at polartec 200 or a MH velocity softshell which is a cooler layer.
Under these I'll wear a polartec base.

Last year in ALL weathers I never had to put on anything other than a Paklite shell with those layers under neath. The Polartec 200 was a bit warm and I never used the Icebreakers I carried so I have a very good idea of what to wear down to about -15-20.

I have a heavier XCR Shell which didn't get used at all last year and I should sell it. It is such a nice techncal jacket though I can't quite bring myself to do it...

I generarly trust Gore and Polartec fleeces as they do what they say on the tin and I know it works for me

The way I gauge the weather of the day, is that I don't want to heat up too much at resort level walking to the lift. Sweating at this level means you will run too hot at height, IMV.

The thing about all these beathable fabrics is that you do not want to overpower them as they can only dissipate a certain amount of heat before soaking so get a feel for that level of warmth and comfort.

The first couple of go's may be a bit hit and miss
latest report
JT

Chears for the great info,

Had a look at the MH site and do quite fancy a soft shell. The velocity you spoke about or the offwidth jacket.

What do you think about the offwidth its a bout half the price but does not mention wind proof or water repelant qualities. Or are these a normal for soft shells.

I am looking for something to wear on the sunny days that is wind proof with out the hard shell on.

Cheers

By the way RED DAVE you ain't got any taste Smile
snow report
bigtoe wrote:
JT

Chears for the great info,

Had a look at the MH site and do quite fancy a soft shell. The velocity you spoke about or the offwidth jacket.

What do you think about the offwidth its a bout half the price but does not mention wind proof or water repelant qualities. Or are these a normal for soft shells.

I am looking for something to wear on the sunny days that is wind proof with out the hard shell on.

Cheers

By the way RED DAVE you ain't got any taste Smile

Im looking for the same thing wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy