Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

A question UN-likely to provoke a strong reaction one way or the other! (lol)

Poster: A snowHead
Timmaah, once did it in Flaine (probably 5th or 6th weekof skiing) to bring video camera from hotel to take sweet pics of our young boys (then!) on slopes. Yes major burn.

Not sure if it would hurt so much now - older but fitter and with better technique (thanks e.g. to easiski and euangoneskiing)
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There's always someone else on the slopes who is not as good as yourself (in level of ability). As for going off on you're own, sometimes I think thats when you improve the most because you don't feel you're holding anyone back and you don't feel like everyone is watching you when you take a few tumbles.You can go over and over the same route if you like and by the time you get back to the bar in the evening then everyone has a story to tell. snowHead
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
slow_eric wrote:
As for going off on you're own, sometimes I think thats when you improve the most because you don't feel you're holding anyone back and you don't feel like everyone is watching you when you take a few tumbles.You can go over and over the same route if you like and by the time you get back to the bar in the evening then everyone has a story to tell. snowHead

Lot of truth in that but I also need to be pushed along every now and then to get me outside of my comfort zone. A good mix of the 2 would be my recipe Very Happy
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:
If I give them a head start then I've set myself the challenge of then beating them to the bottom which makes it more fun for me,

Hmm, well, one of the things which is discouraging is skiing with someone who blasts to the bottom of every slope in front of you. But even worse is someone who waits ages and then flashes past and still gets to the bottom first.... if I am skiing with slower skiers (which I often am, not because I am a great skier, but because I ski with lots of people even more elderly and decrepit than myself) I try to identify some goals to improve my technique; make nice even turns to a favourite track on my MP3 (which I mute when I get to the bottom, by the way) or practice my drills from easiski. At the risk of sounding rather priggish, beating weaker skiers to the bottom of a run isn't the sort of challenge I like to set myself. If I ski with my eldest son, I am happy to have a bit of a race, as we are a similar standard. If I ski with my younger son, however, I don't see him for dust, it just isn't any kind of competition. He's totally out of my league. I do spend a bit of time "nursemaiding" people round the slopes, and as we are here for much of the season it's usually fine, and I enjoy it. But just occasionally having a day on my own, at my own speed, which may be fast or slow, and not having to stop and discuss where to go, or check what anyone else is up to, is very enjoyable. I do much prefer to have music when I am skiing alone - I have a helmet with built in sound. But I know that talking about skiing with music on Snowheads is apt to unleash a torrent of criticism - so forget I said that.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We consider skiing to be a social activity and of late we have always tried to go with friends. Or prior to becoming Les Arcs'ers, stay in catered chalets to meet like-minded PLUs (People Like Us)

But usually once a holiday I will go off on my own, since while I really really do enjoy the social skiing, sometimes you just have to push that little bit harder and longer and steeper to see the art of the possible within your own constraints.

The shortness of breath, working to the edge, the adrenalin of nailing a particularly difficult route at your limit, whatever that may be, is quite a buzz.

And this is the most important bit, not someone else's limits - someone who can be either stronger or weaker than you, but almost certainly not the same as you.

Compromise is great when with friends / partners / companions, but every now and again, you have to find out what YOU can do. And you can only do that alone.

Having said that, IMHO skiing off-piste alone is simply proof-positive of Darwinian theory, and our species' gene pool will grow stronger for it.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I think I'd want to go down a completely new slope with someone about that I knew first - instructor, competent friend etc. Maybe once or twice and then if I felt OK with it I'd be happy to try it myself and would want to do so just to prove to myself I could do it.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Skiing for me is usually a social activity and I ski with other people. Occasionally I will ski alone and find it a bit more tiring as you don't stop for a natter.
Must admit to having done a bit of gentle off piste on my tod in good conditions, I didn't really consider it any more dangerous than hill walking.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I like skiing with others but have done a good bit on my own while the wife and kids do other things. It's nice to be on your own once in a while.

snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Megamum, I'm the same as you. MR HL usually checks out the new runs if they are red or black then "advises" me whether or not I will like them. Once we've done a run together I'm happy to go alone.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Having said that, IMHO skiing off-piste alone is simply proof-positive of Darwinian theory, and our species' gene pool will grow stronger for it.

You mean those who ski off-piste alone and live to have off-springs are great skiers, right? Very Happy
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
abc, I just hope you realise the danger you are putting yourself in. It is your choice and being in a group doesn`t mean accidents won`t happen - it does however mean there is somebody else there to help you out should it be needed.

My brother decided to head to the north of Scotland a couple of years ago by himself .. he only went less than a mile away from the piste but is a very lucky man to still be walking. He went from crud to deep soft powder.. he wasn`t anticipating the change in snow conditions.. got his weight a little forward when his ski`s slowed down abrubtly in the soft stuff.. he cart wheeled and whacked his chin on an icy rock.. this snapped his head backwards. He was lying in the snow for sometime.. nobody new he was there... he eventually picked himself up and found his way to the closest lift station (I should say at this point that his head was flopping about unnaturally). The lifties immediately got the ski patrol.. he was put on a spinal board and an RAF rescue helicopter was scrambled to come and get him. He was flown straight to the spinal unit at Ninewells Hospital where he spent two days lying flat on his back not being allowed to move.. his neck was so swollen they were unable to carry out x-rays / scans satisfactorily. Luckily he has no long term damage.. apart from the occasional very stiff neck.. but he did have to spend 3 months in a neck brace and believe me the swelling around his neck and lower face was not a pretty picture.....

Now if he had been skiing with somebody else when he fell he would not need to move. His skiing buddy could have gone off to raise the alarm. The extra trauma caused by the ski/walk to the lifty station could have been avoided....

Sermon over snowHead
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Megamum wrote:
I think I'd want to go down a completely new slope with someone about that I knew first - instructor, competent friend etc. Maybe once or twice and then if I felt OK with it I'd be happy to try it myself and would want to do so just to prove to myself I could do it.

All depends on how confident you are with your ability really... I for one love exploring new slopes on my own and am never really cautionary when I do them.

As for the speeding thing... some people have that competiveness, others don't. So although you enjoy doing nice technical turns, others enjoy carving down a slope at 50mph and feeling the adrenaline rush.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
mrtoastie wrote:
abc, I just hope you realise the danger you are putting yourself in. It is your choice and being in a group doesn`t mean accidents won`t happen - it does however mean there is somebody else there to help you out should it be needed.

My point, however, is you can be off-piste and still within full view of others, which in my view is SAFER than skiing alone in a whiteout ON PISTE. For one thing, you can easily veer off the piste without even realizing it in a white out. And you can just as easily be seperated from your companion in such conditions.

But, everyone skis on piste regardless conditions. OK, not everyone. Still, nobody is giving any "sermons" about that danger!!!

The real issue isn't off or on piste. The REAL ISSUE is skier "traffic". Skiing alone is perfectly fine as long as there're other skiers around. In that case, you're really not "alone". It's only when you're truely ALONE and noone will come round for hours, that one needs to be extra cautious. Mind you, the same principle applies when one is walking in the remote woods or cycling in isolated tracks. It's got little to do with off piste or not.

There're plenty of off-piste terrain within the "well-traveled" part of the mountain, in between piste, for example, when you're really not alone at all! What would you say about such area?

I maintain it's the skier's judgement (and skill) that determine if he/she will servive to have offspring. And that, is the strength of the gene pool. Not some blanket statement (or worse, regulation) that forbids (or insult) anyone from using their own head.

End of my "anti-sermon". Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
abc, Very Happy

You are right, and of course Darwinism works both ways - if you are good enough or lucky enough to survive, then of course you contribute to the strengthening of the gene pool. Stoopid or unlucky, then its as good a way as any to clear out the weaker members of the race Very Happy Very Happy (and yes, bad luck is a poor trait for an evolving species to be stuck with. Get rid of it I say!!)

The question of traffic is of course key, but only partially.

The lower numbers of those with the competence to ski off-piste will inevitably mean lower traffic volumes - a plus point for off-piste.

But additionally the chances of conditions being more likely to work against you are higher off- than on- piste. (I'd call it self-evident, but I know some pedants on here will be screaming for proof - I say, what's the attraction for the advanced skier if it isn't more challenging to your ability and mountain craft?)

Together these contribute to the likelihood of what would be a minor mishap when skiing as a single, in a patrolled, well- maintained, high-traffic piste, turning into something all together more serious. Or as above with mrtoastie's brother, something serious into something almost catastrophic.

Hey, live life as you will, and each to their own I say. wink

Just don't necessarily expect a mountain rescue team to put themselves at risk because you've not compensated for avoidable risks by taking a mate with you.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
abc,
Quote:

Skiing alone is perfectly fine as long as there're other skiers around.

Totally agreed... however
Quote:

There're plenty of off-piste terrain within the "well-traveled" part of the mountain, in between piste, for example, when you're really not alone at all! What would you say about such area?

Fine as long as someone knows you are there and expects you to pop back out onto the piste. Even areas that are visible from pistes can be dangerous.. lets face it just because you can see the piste doesn`t mean somebody whizzing down the piste is gonna turn round and notice you are in trouble Puzzled

Hallelujah... Praise be to the snow gods.. lets hope there is oodles of off-piste for us to play in during the season snowHead
ski holidays
Quote:

The lower numbers of those with the competence to ski off-piste will inevitably mean lower traffic volumes - a plus point for off-piste.

Agree. Still, the focal point should be skier traffic. Not on or off-piste.

Some off-piste area are within view of piste skiers. Other area are so well traveled it's almost like skiing on-piste. I would go so far to say it's dumb to NOT venture off-piste when you can see it's already lots of skiers out there, and the powder will be gone in a matter of minutes if you wait for your mate who is not an early riser, all because of some inhibition on skiing alone off-piste.

As for condition being more challenging off-piste, I agree to a large degree. However, it's not un-common that many well-traveled piste become extremely icy that it's safer to venture off of it to the better covered terrain (provided one has the skill/experience to safely handle it). This, being a condition I see more often in Europe than in the state. Again, it's my personal opinion one is exposing oneself to more danger by staying on-piste than well off the side of it.

I do find it interesting that many snowheads decry the over-regulation (and the lack of common sense) in their daily life over at the Apres Zone. But turn around and handing out blanket prohibition when it comes to skiing.
latest report
abc wrote:
Quote:

Agree. Still, the focal point should be skier traffic. Not on or off-piste.

But don't forget the US/Europe controlled/non-controlled factor with the off piste - that can make it an entirely different kettle of fish. Having someone with you who is competent, knowledgeable and close-by could save your life in an avalanche situation. But I absolutely agree with you about white-out conditions on-piste

To the OP I would say go for it if you're happy to - just use common sense: ideally avoid deserted pistes (as abc said) and make sure you have a (charged) phone and possibly radio with you i.e. make sure you have a means of getting help
snow report
Quote:

Having someone with you who is competent, knowledgeable and close-by could save your life in an avalanche situation.

Totally agree. Avi terrain is something one has to deal with differently. It's a lot more than just off-piste!

By the time one puts the transceiver and probe into one's backpack, I would hope one stops to think how it'll be used. A transceiver wouldn't be much use if no one is searching, for example. And why carry a probe if not for searching your lost mate? So the avi kit is meant to be used by or with a companion! How would anyone miss that would be a little difficult to understand.

Quote:

But I absolutely agree with you about white-out conditions on-piste

I had it happened before, albeit with happy ending. We were skiing in heavy snow (not a total whiteout, but quite hard to see well). One fellow in our group missed a turn and fell into some soft snow off the side of the piste, which dropped off semi-steeply. So he was not visible from the piste. His skis pop off and lay a couple feet up slope of him. So he had a hard time getting back up in the new snow without his skis.

We got donw to the lift and waited for a while. Realizing he's missing, some of us went back to the top and ski back down the same piste to look for him, to no avail. By the time the "search party" got back down to the same lift, we started to worry and wonder if we should call the ski patrol. But where should we tell the ski patrol to look? Could he had made a wrong turn and ended up in a different lift and was just trying to get back to us? (those were pre-cellphone days)

He turned up while we were still debating what to do, snow still hung from his hat, goggle and beard. Told us what happened.

This year in MSB, I was just on my way to my private lesson, in a white-out. I skiied right off the cat track, landed on the steep side of it TWICE! Fortunately, I landed upright on my skis both times. (well, I was going rather slowly due to the poor visibility...)
snow report
I love skiing alone, and do it often. Best (and most stupid) was two years ago when I hiked back over from La Grave and skied down our side of the mountain 10 days after we'd shut. Of course I was careful, but it was silly - amazing though to be the only person on the whole mountain. snowHead
snow report
I noted the comments above about the possibly of getting lost on a piste in poor visability. Do they actually close pistes if visabilty gets too bad? I've seen the lifts close when its been too windy, but I think everything continued running one day when we had lots of fog.
snow report
Megamum, nope, I've never known them close a piste due to fog. Your skiing improves greatly by skiing in bad visability.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy