Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Colorado - Denver Airport

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Good Afternoon All,
If I go to Cololrado next year and fly into Denver Airport, what is the best way of heading into resorts like Apsen/Breckenridge/Copper Mountain etc...

My friend is doing a season out there and me and three friends are hoping to hire an SUV to head up there in - is this going to be cost effective or are there other ways of getting about?

Thanks
Dan
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
iceman_louis, there are plenty of companies who do transfers, have a look around the Denver Airport site and you'll find them.

We have rented an SUV before, again plenty of car hire companies, is worth booking bigger cars well in advance as they go quickly. All the resorts you mention are an easy drive up the I70 from the airport.

THe only comment I'd make is as to whether you need a car - there is plenty free buses around the resort and unless you're planning on a lot of day trips you won't use the car

If you're pushing the boat out there is always the limo service
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

My friend is doing a season out there and me and three friends are hoping to hire an SUV to head up there in - is this going to be cost effective or are there other ways of getting about?

Yes!

The "rule of thumb" for the US is the break-even point is about 2 people/per week. More than 2 in a group, it's almost always cheaper to hire a car than the cost of transfer. If you're staying for more than a week IN THE SAME RESORT, look into dropping the car off once you get there, and hire another one for the day you leave.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
For four, I would have thought definitely worth it....also, I've found that you can save a lot of money, especially in the US, by booking in advance online and googling around for voucher codes, special offers etc. It really is worth doing the homework because you get a far better deal. Also check with your credit card company in case they already cover you for US car rental insurances as this can save a lot too. If anyone's got an Amex card, they are usually good for this.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
iceman_louis, forget cost effective! SUV is very handy to have at your disposal in any of those resorts (especially Breck). But... Last thing you need is a drive up Interstate 70 in the snow after a trans Atlantic (most likely you'll be heading up the road around the same time you'd normally be going to bed). If the road conditions are good then it's no prob but if it's howling and dumping snow then (a) there'll be loads of accidents and (b) you'll be tired and might be the cause. Alternative is a night in Denver but that'll wipe out the cost effectiveness anyway. If it were me (esp for somewhere as far as Aspen) I'd be tempted to grab the Colorado Mountain Express transfer. You'll find 'em on the web. Worry about the return journey later!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
If you are looking for car rental discount codes, may I recommend www.vacationoutlet.com? It's got codes for Alamo, Enterprise, National, and either Budget or Thrifty, I forget which.

However, the last time I rented an SUV in Denver, I found the cheapest rate with Advantage Rent-a-Car.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If your spending alot of time in Aspen think the following.

Gettng a cheap flight shuttle can be problematic i.e cheap doesnt exit Sad

The problem with renting a car is paying for it while its parked at you Hotel for the whole time your in Aspen.

I normally book one-way hires (NO drop of charges) . You drop off at Aspen Airport and normaly someone from your Hotel will come and pick you up or you can just get the bus into town. This works out reall cheap way of doing it. You can also ask the hire companys if they got any cars they want taking back to Denver. This works out well Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Try 'Colarado Mountain Express', I did and it went like clockwork. Very Happy
I stayed in Frisco and got the free bus to Copper mountain every day.

http://www.coppercolorado.com/gettinghere/groundtravel/index.htm

cc_7up
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
CME are great, just depends where your friend is working. If its in Frisco area i e Vail, Breck, Keystone Copper etc the local bus service is great when you get there. If they are in Aspen local buses are great too, but if you want to travel between the two while you are there ( ie Aspen area and Frisco area ) then you may have to arrange something else as well, as Vail to Aspen is approx 2hr drive !!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
The CM Express door to door shuttle service to all resorts is excellent.

But if you'd like to make a substantial saving it's worth having a look at Greyhound buses website. We used them to travel to/from Vail a couple of years ago and they were much cheaper than the standard door to door shuttle companies.

Only disadvantage is that you are dropped at the bus station in Vail - no big deal as it's central and free buses run from there to all parts of the town.

I think Greyhound may also travel to Frisco and from there you can easily get to lots of resorts.

Another option is to book with CME to the bus terminal in Frisco and make a worthwhile saving - as CME work on the premise that most Americans prefer to be dropped at their hotel door in resort and charge accordingly.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy