Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Recommendations for quiet / uncrowded resorts (Europe)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
skiingsista, you mean apart from the 'send/read messages' facility at the top of the page?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Arosa in Switzerland, gets missed out becasue of its bigger neighbours, not many brits, bottle neck for the first gondola but after that it is fine, more of a wide ski area rather than just vertical top to bottom type ski area if you know what I mean, so the outer pistes are really quiet
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Obergurgl may not be as quiet as Gressoney, but you're hardly likely to be stuck in a queue there. I understand a couple of lifts have been replaced for this season, including the old one-man lift to Hohe Mutt. This will make lift operator in Obergurgl possibly the dullest job in the alps.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Chalky, I think I was just reading about Obergurgl in the Sunday Times as a snow sure resort - can not be that quiet the Very Happy
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I went to Schladming (ski amade) in January. It was ok but I wouldn't say it was quiet.

Haven't been to Obergurgl but it sounds up your street!

www.ifyouski.com/resorts/view/?objectid=340004&template=survey
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
jonflat2 wrote:
I'm trying plan this winters ski hols and am looking for a bit of guidance

What I'm really looking for are resorts that will offer short lift queues and that are uncrowded.

I've done quite a bit of skiing in Norway, which meets these two requirements perfectly - but having never been to the Alps would like to get there this season. However the idea of standing in queues for half the day, having French kids pushing in in front of me would probably drive me mad Evil or Very Mad wink

Me and my GF are intermediate skiers, so aren't fussed about finding really challenging terrain - quite the opposite really. And as it will be just the two of us, the Apres Ski scene isn't so important.

Anyway, if there are any hidden gems out there, I'd love to know.

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

I may be a little biased as we run our own ski operation here but if you are looking for an interesting holiday where you can ski a number of resorts without the normal hassle of long queues then Luchon/Superbagneres here in the heart of the French Pyrenees is well worth a visit. Though the number of English skiers is on the increase the resorts are still very French, and as such with the exception of the French school holidays the slopes are relatively empty.

Our own resort (Superbagneres) has some lovely runs and plenty of off piste and is accessible via the gondola from Luchon which again is only two minutes from our front door. Peyragudes which has a vast domain is only 15 minutes from Luchon and provides long and varied terrain which will suite all levels of skiing ability. And the real gem (though relatively expensive compared to Superbagneres and Peyragudes) is Baqueira Beret across the border in Spain. This really is a high class resort with a massive domain and a modern lift system.

Why come here:

1. Fantastic value for money
2. Few if any queues
3. Luchon is a bustling town with plenty of bars, shops and restaurants to provide lively apres ski
4. The opportunity to ski a number of relatively unknown resorts during your week
5. Flights into PAU or Toulouse with only a 90 minute transfer time
6. Excellent accommodation at Villa Portillon with a great ambiance and wonderful cuisine
7. A knowledgeable host who will help you make the most of your skiing holiday

I did say I am biased however customer feedback to date has been extremely positive.

Good hunting.

Mike

www.peak-times.com[/b]
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Pila.

Ski Crystal or Interski.

Hope you get sorted.

Chris.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
As I only get to ski once a year I tend to research it to death. As is obvious from my post below I particularly look for quite, sophisticated and civilised resorts. For that reason I have chosen Lech for 07/08. As I haven't been there I am reluctant to recommend it but if the reviews are anything to go by I dont think you will go far wrong. Certainly worth considering. Another positive is that because of the altitude they have a longer season than most Alpine resorts. By the way, a friend of mine goes to Obergurgl every year and absolutely loves it, says its stylish, quiet and very snow-sure. The only reason I didn't book it myself was that I wanted the 'authentic' alpine experience and aparently Obergurgl is primarily a ski resort as opposed to a typical year round Austrian village.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=731172#731172.

You will also get more info below:

http://www.lech-zuers.at/xxl/_lang/en/_season/at2/_area/585616/_subArea/585730/index.html

http://www.ifyouski.com/resorts/view/?ObjectID=334004&Template=More

http://www.bergfex.com/lech-ol-zuers/

Good Luck,

Barry O'S.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Val Cenis (preferably staying in Lanslevillard village) is very quiet and very cheap but has some nice skiing. It is smallish but you can make excursions along the valley to the other half dozen small resorts such as Bonneval and Val Frejus if you want more. And if you try the off piste you'll have it to yourself.
Personally I don't like Cortina - it's a big town with bits of skiing around the edge. No alpine charm but handsome as towns go. Lots of people in expensive fur coats.
But I agree with Gressoney - nice quiet skiing but access to more challenging areas, good off piste - charming old village.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:
Lots of people in expensive fur coats.

Absolutely. I have never seen as many fur coats in my life. Gorgeous window shopping. Some nice slopes, too, though I've only scratched the surface. But most definitely not quiet, and the gondolas seemed very crowded, even though it was a quiet period. On the other hand I skied through lunchtime and there was nobody on the slopes; all in the restaurants.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w wrote:
Quote:
Lots of people in expensive fur coats.
Most definitely not quiet, and the gondolas seemed very crowded, even though it was a quiet period. On the other hand I skied through lunchtime and there was nobody on the slopes; all in the restaurants.

Are you talking about Cortina? Not quiet! Yeah the town's busy but the slopes are empty lunchtime or not. When did you go?
This is what it looked like most of the time I was there (mid Jan 2005)

http://img220.imageshack.us/my.php?image=1001025zz4.jpg

I have done the same as Barry, I have booked Lech next year. I'm hoping it's quieter than average.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Lech is a great place to ski but whereas it is not as busy as the really busy resorts and the pistes are not particularly crowded I would not really characterise it as a quiet resort.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi

agree totally with La Thuile in Italy, - uncrowded at half term this year! Les Contamines is also pretty good. Although it was January I have been the first on a couple of pistes at 10.30 am, - quite amazing.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy