Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Soll Advice

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

Looking for advice on Soll please - 3 adults\2 children (3 and 8 ) traveling 2008.

Any recommendations for:

Accommodation, preferably apartment
Ski School
Kindergarten

I would like the accommodation close to the lifts\ski school given the kids.

Thanks,

BC
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
bcirl07, There are only a few hotels up by the lifts. Try the Schirast (hotel). For apartments best try calling the tourist office or going online... www.soell.at but I reckon you'll only get one in the cente of town which is a bus/walk to the lifts.

Ski School can be a bit of a lottery for kids as it's normally the least qualified instructors who get that gig. I used Schischule Embacher for one of my kids once - the nursery area is very good.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
bcirl07, It's about 6 years since we were in Soll but are some of my recollections anyway. The hotel Tyrol is not too far away from the main part of town, has good rooms and the ski bus stop is at it's front door. The hotels near to the lifts are consequently quite far away from the town and hence the shops, cafes, pubs etc.

The kids enjoyed the Embacher Kindergarten and had no complaints. We found the standard of tuition in Schischule Embacher to be a bit hit and miss and certainly not on a par with the, admittedly much more expensive, Magic In Motion schools we used in France. We had to rescue our kids a couple of times (including one occasion when they still had one of them out on the slopes despite him having lost his ski gloves at lunch in the village; we found them later, so they didn’t try too hard). Some of the instructors teach; others are of the follow me variety. The kids lunch is gruel, so it's best to get them fuelled at breakfast and have a hot chocolate/cake stop at the end of the skiing day.

The ski shop under the cable car provides overnight skis and boots storage which means that you can more easily fight your way onto the ski bus (if your hotel is in the main part of Soll) in the morning and allows you to have a comfortable walk back after the day's skiing (we never managed to catch the ski bus back; it was either missing or full.)
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Went there for the first time last Xmas (our first time skiing) so haven't got much to compare it too but the ski school (Embacher) system seemed a bit chaotic - with skiiers coming and going in and out of different groups and a wide variety of languages in each group - instructors and skiiers.

It was also very busy and the queues for the lifts chaotic. Having said that we enjoyed it but not sure I'd recommend the ski school.

My kids were put in a very disparate group and revolted after day one so got moved next day but without our intervention would have been stuck in wrong group.

Soll itself great - quite a lot of bars and pubs in centre of town so any accomodation there would be noisy.
We stayed in a Neilson Lodge - about 10 mins walk from town and another 10 mins to bottom of ski lifts/school - it was great and good for families but a trek for a 3 year old. Ski bus timetable seemed unpredictable and busy.

There is a garage at bottom of lifts where we kept our skis/boots - which was great but also chaos at beginning/end of day.

Not many hotels actually by lifts - a couple I think but both had bars so not sure I'd choose to stay there with kids (noise issue)

We nevertheless had a great time but having since been to Sweden - 100% better organised and convenient - I'm not sure now how typical Soll is. The lunch issue was hassle too - unless you got in early the restuarants on the slopes packed with long queues - but again for all I know that's the norm!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
bcirl07,

We stayed in the Eggerwirt 2* hotel which was adequate. Had a great time in Soll. Mid March 2005. It dumped snow all week. Never got bored.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
bcirl07, I can recomend my friends apartments. The Manorhaus apartments they are very good but they are at the back of town. Having said that it is only 2 mins walk to the centre of town. You can walk round Soll in about 5 mins.
Ski bus is a joke I normaly get a taxi to gondala about £4 don't tell anyone other wise they will all be doing it. you don't need one on the way home as you can ski to main road and walk from there. or walk down hill from gondala having left your gear in Edinger I think thats the spelling.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy