Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

AUSTRIA ????? HELP

Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone i am new to this site and have spent a little time reading some of the posts and can see that it is a really freindly site.
Now my question... Can anyone recommend a resort in austria to ski in that is going to have a fair chance of good snow coverage, i know you are not god and cannot predict what type of winter were going to have. I have tried bulgaria and andorra but now would like to try austria, getting a flight into saltzburg in january.
Can any one recommend a good travel agent or place to stay or anything really.
Before you start shouting at me and say you should be looking there! Be gentle this is my first post
regards
andrew

Edited by mod to change case.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
andybabes, Hi, and welcome to snowHeads. I'm sure there will be lots of advice on Austrian resorts, but in the meantime I thought I'd point out that you've left your Caps Lock on. This makes reading your post a bit tricky and can appear that you're shouting Smile
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
kk
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
andybabes, welcome. (what does kk mean?).
A warning: after Bulgaria and Andorra you may find Austria alarmingly expensive.
If you want a good chance of snow try Obergurgl, but then Salzburg would not be the best airport
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
andybabes, welcome to Sndowheads.
Advice wise - if you want snow - pick somewhere high, or with a glacier nearby. However, dont compare altitude across countries as they do get different weather and do have different ground cover wich affects how much snow is required to actually make a good run.
Kaprun/Zell am see are a little pair of viliages with a glacier and close to Salzburg !

(PS, You can edit your post by clicking on the little icon on the right hand side of it. To save retyping - copy&paste it into a word processor, select it all and look for a 'change case' tool on the menus, then paste back) Cool
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
andybabes,

Been to Soll and Zell am See. (Both near Salzburg) Both times had excellent snow in mid march. Did not think it was expensive at all.

Prefer Soll over Zell, although Zell is close to the glacier.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If you have only been on two trips, Obertauern would suit you fine. Close to airport, 1 hour, high enough(1700 metres i think) to garauntee snow and plenty of accomodation. Cheesy apres but good fun.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
andybabes, Welcome to Snowheads! snowHead
All the major Tour Operators (Crystal, Thomson, Inghams etc) do trips to Austrian resorts and one option is to wait until a week or two before your trip to see where the best snow conditions are and then arrange a last minute discounted deal.
However, if you want to book somewhere more in advance (and in January you should hopefully get reasonable snow anyway Toofy Grin ) another option is to book a budget airline eg Easyjet into Salzburg and arrange your accomodation independently. This can be done very easily these days - a very useful website for Austria is here. If you're doing this independent arrangement then of course transfer to the resort also needs to be arranged - there are companies which provide coach transfers, but I usually choose a resort easy to get to by rail.
As others have suggested Zell am See might be a good choice - it's got plenty of pistes for intermediates (with the snow insurance of a glacier at Kaprun), pretty lakeside setting with good apres ski, and its got a straightforward rail connection from Salzburg, see Austrian Railways website OBB
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
andybabes, I live here in Austria in the Ski Amade region. Height really isnt everything, it does not guarantee snow. Last year we had excellent snow coverage and the skiing was open from the beginning of December, unlike other places higher than us in Europe. January you will be fine.

Ski Amade is very beautiful with tree lined skiing. There are busy mountains and quiet mountains depending what you are after. It takes 45 mins down the motorway from Salzburg airport to get to Ski Amade and the transfer is €40 return - bargin. Accommodation is a good price too.

Take a look at www.skiamade.com for more info on the area.

Very Happy
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
andybabes wrote:
Hi everyone i am new to this site and have spent a little time reading some of the posts and can see that it is a really freindly site.
Now my question... Can anyone recommend a resort in austria to ski in that is going to have a fair chance of good snow coverage, i know you are not god and cannot predict what type of winter were going to have. I have tried bulgaria and andorra but now would like to try austria, getting a flight into saltzburg in january.
Can any one recommend a good travel agent or place to stay or anything really.
Before you start shouting at me and say you should be looking there! Be gentle this is my first post
regards
andrew

Edited by mod to change case.

Vet here over 30yrs experience,

Go where your heart wants to take you ..........
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Admittedly Austria does not have the height of resorts in France.
But should the cold air come in from Siberia and the East, it can often make great conditions, especially when the East weather fronts combine with moister wetter air from the West.

Plus colder air means snow cannons can often start earlier and the ground freezes earlier.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
As said by others snow is pretty reliable in many parts of austria. If the natural stuff doesn't come along then places like schladming (ski amade 1hr from salzburg) have pretty impressive snow making capabilities. I know I'd much rather be off piste in knee deep powder but if the manmade stuff keeps some skiing open then that works for me. Schladming claim 3 days of snow making to put down a skiable base for almost 100% runs. see this http://www.planai.at/winter/index_eng_3672_ENG_HTML.htm
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If you are traveling independently, then somewhere like Kaltenbach/Fugen in the Zillertal would be one suggestion.

It is where they took us last year when there was no snow in Neiderau, and there was plenty there. You also from there can get a pass which gives access to the other Zillertal resorts (Zellam Zimmer, Mayrhofen, Hintertux glacier), with a railway (included on the pass) running up and down the valley between resorts.

But I don't think any UK tour ops go there, which is why I say only if going independently. It is also closer to Innsbruck than to Salzburg, although not too far from either.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
andybabes, we have an apartment for rent in Zell Am See if you are interested. There is skiing on the local hill (Schmittenhohe) and also on the glacier at Kaprun if snow isn't so great lower down. We normally have one trip in Jan and one in March (not just to Zell, but all over Austria) and find that normally January is pretty good for snow, last year notwithstanding! Am however not a weather guru so can't comment on what this year will be like!

PM me if you are interested and I will send you our flyer (just doing the website now, only took posession in June).

Otherwise, I agree with Waynos that Schladming has excellent snow-making, the best I have seen.

Happy sliding snowHead
D

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Tue 25-09-07 14:57; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
andybabes,

When in Jan are you planning, unless it's the first week (inc New years day) it should be possible to find accommodation nearer the time.

If booking in advance high resorts such as Obertauern, Kaprun, Obergurgl, Hintertux are more snow secure.

I wouldn't book places like Söll or Kitzbühel (sub 1000m base lifts) in advance but you pays your money, you teeks your chances.

http://www.bergfex.com/sommer/austria/

Austria is however investing heavily in snow cannons for various resorts so (as said by others) if it's low go for the ones with good snow making facilities (e.g. Schladming)
ski holidays
andybabes, We have booked Solden for New Year, which has 2 glaciers, and a party atmosphere. Neilsons (whom we've booked with) and Crystal have holidays in Solden and I believe some of the lesser know TOs go there too. Ischgl would also be good, and is available through Inghams.
latest report
Alastair Pink,
hi thanks for the reply , have you taken last minute deals in the past? do you get discounts? isnt it a bit of a risk?
regards andrew
latest report
andybabes, Personally I haven't taken tour operators last minute deals, but I know other Snowheads have and perhaps they can comment.
snow report
andybabes, my advice would be to buy your flights asap to Salzburg and not worry too much about accomodation(sp) because as noted above, unless it is holiday time you will have no trouble finding a bed and you can wait to see where the best snow is, just have some bottle. we (4 blokes) have done this for the last 4 years. We have never failed and last year we were so pleased because from Salzburg in January it looked grim but we chose Obertauern one week before the flight departed and it was great. Good acc, great and cheesy apres, and the slopes were fine too. No way would we have picked Obertauern before hand, but we loved it.

Greg
latest report
andybabes, Alastair Pink, I have taken tour op late deals, and got pretty good value from them.

I don't think there is any more risk involved than in any other pre booked tour op holiday, particularly if you choos named accommodation.

Last year I got (booking 9 weeks ahead) a week in January to Neiderau, including flights from Bristol, transfers, half board accommodation (single room) and skli carriage, for a total cost of £242.

Admittedly, there was no snow there then, and we had to be bussed to Kaltenbach for the first 5 dyas, but that would have been the same no matter how or when I booked.
snow report
I have taken tour op late deals and also got good value from them.

Last year I managed a week in LDA in January including flights, transfers and half-board chalet-hotel accommodation for £200 per person. Booked one week before we went, we were able to wait and see where there was plenty of snow Cool
latest report
As a local to Salzburg, I agree with Flangesax, height isn't everything but we are lucky enough to have 2 glaciers within an hour, Zauchensee and Obertauern 15 mins away so we are pretty snow sure here, we skied from mid November till after easter even though we were told the snow was hopeless.
snow conditions
Austria in Jan will be fine for snow.

Go to Saalbach. Niceish town with goodish skiing and busyish, but downmarket, nitelife. Lots of snowguns to keep the slopes open.
ski holidays
Deliaskis, DELIA HOW DO I SEND A PM? Puzzled
snow report
andybabes, top right of page, just under the snowHeads logo. Click on send/read messages.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy