Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dropping cliffs.

Poster: A snowHead
barry, Brown knickerbockers are going to be my chosen legwear for the coming season.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Kramer, I did my first drop last year at ABasin. It was only 4 feet or so, but it gave me a rush and I want more!
This year, 6-8 ??
One can only hope!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
SnowHot, not the best timing for Some Thoughts on Cliff Dropping Technique from a Yank.

IMHO, of course. Toofy Grin
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
comprex, Mate where's the pi$$ing myself all over the lounge smiley? Laughing
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, Peeing in the snow's more fun, SmileyCentral.com isn't it?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Please pardon my dumb question. How is dropping off cliffs different from dropping off cornices?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Much less pre-flight spotting needed for cornices (probably some snow at the landing and probably no rocky outcroppings), cornices aren't quite up quite to cliff scale so less airtime (easier to land upright and by the same token injuring yourself trying to stick it), and there's a bit more avalanche awareness required (something made the cornice in the first place).
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Wouldn't cornices themselves pose a different set of questions? The stability of the take off area for example.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Don't forget to shout "dropping" just before you start your run in... makes you look 'core...
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
FenlandSkier wrote:
Wouldn't cornices themselves pose a different set of questions? The stability of the take off area for example.

Yep, and the stability of where you are going to land. Being chased down a slope by a giant cornice chunk Indiana Jones style focuses the technique though! Shocked snowHead
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
comprex, thanks.........I'll take heed.
I will say that, any kind of air time is not natural for me and I've had to work my way up to it. The 4 ft at ABasin was a complete surprise to me, in many ways, but I found out it was okay. snowHead
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
SnowHot, don't forget to do the little hops for balance check during your 'regular' skiing.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
comprex, Still wish you were coming up to Stowe to play in the snow. I'll miss you and BG. You could shove me off a drop somewhere and I'd thank you for it!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
parlor wrote:
Don't forget to shout "dropping" just before you start your run in... makes you look 'core...

I think you're all mixing up your sports. Very Happy

For dropping on a run in you need a parachute. Then 12 000 ft is possible Shocked

snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If you quite fancy trying then the chances are you'll enjoy it. As others have covered - Start real small, work your way up. you don't really need to pop, just make sure you've seen your landing and that it's not flat, keep your hands forward, weight centred - then as you land hold your core strong so you don't buckle at the waist. If you're doing bigger stuff, training by doing pilates, core strengthening and balance exercise will help heaps.
snow conditions
my first drop was off the top of snowed in VW camper van in Meribel. Landing was steep, but wtih trees about 15 feet away. I landed the drop, but only just missed the trees.

Oh for the bravery of youth!
ski holidays
hendo wrote:
If you quite fancy trying then the chances are you'll enjoy it. As others have covered - Start real small, work your way up. you don't really need to pop, just make sure you've seen your landing and that it's not flat, keep your hands forward, weight centred - then as you land hold your core strong so you don't buckle at the waist. If you're doing bigger stuff, training by doing pilates, core strengthening and balance exercise will help heaps.

Beautiful. Welcome to snowHead
snow conditions
Indeed, welcome to snowHeads hendo, and an excellent first post.
latest report
Have we inadvertantly started a sHs hucking sub section Puzzled
snow conditions
Would it possibly make sense to go to the local swimming hall and try first to see what it is like to jump from 3m platform so that you get the feeling of falling down. Then, when you know that you actually can control your body in the air, move to skis.
snow conditions
demos, I used to love diving from 10m . . . got it VERY wrong once Evil or Very Mad Shocked Evil or Very Mad Shocked . . . not so sure I'd be so happy now at my age and weight

Kramer, The best place to start is a half-pipe . . . shortish drop, usually between 1 and 2 Metres and a guaranteed slope flare so even though it's a solid surface you're only going to get a slide bruise if you screw-up. Use it repeatedly to learn body flight position and confidence . . . then start looking at the natural terrain. Start low and NEVER jump to flat unless you've some serious forward momentum . . and armour . . and insurance . . and a mate with a vid for our vicarious entertainment Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Evil or Very Mad

Most drops up to about 15ft (pretty much my limit) are real fun . . . getting beyond that needs someone who knows snow depth and what pointy, sharp, rock-like things are under that glistening virgin surface.
latest report
Also - get used to playing around on the terrain park jumps, as said... body posture in flight, landing and recovering... all skills best learnt in a safe(ish) atmosphere.
snow report
Hmmm, given the number of people I've seen tool themselves in these 'safe' terrain parks on the brick-hard landings I would tend to say stay off the piste, start very small and gradually work up (plus all techy tips as per my previous post. At least you can check out your landing (generally) and you'll know its going to be soft...
snow report
I started get brave last season in Engelberg and checked out a few small cliffs making sure they had a good steep landing! It was fun but do check the landing and have a mate near by to look enviously on and well also just for safety's sake! Can't wait for this coming season to carry on!
latest report
We need a best vid of cliff crashing comp this year Laughing
latest report
just came across this tip video....

http://www.warrensmith-skiacademy.com/online-tips/online-tips_Freeride_Taking-Air.htm

Cheers,

greg
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy