Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Kids ski school / nursey - Wengen

Poster: A snowHead
Off to Wengen for the first time at Easter. Two kids, starting to think about ski school.

Boy, age 10, will be 5th week on skis, likes blues/reds, occasional black and fun. Does not want daily group lessons, but 3 x private lessons to maintain/tune technique, ideally 2 hours each in the mornings Mon/Tue/Wed.

Boy, age 6 with learning difficulties. Would like some snow time on skis but also general indoor/outdoor play. Emphasis on fun, but with some ski coaching. Can slide OK in a straight line but no concept of plough/turns/stop (yet) ! Enjoys the sliding sensation. For mornings only, 5 or 6 days.

Any locals/regulars out there who could recommend instructor(s) to suit above ? Are there any alternatives to the Swiss Ski School ? What's the playhousewengen like, their website is a little mean on info.

ta.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
masmith, if he doesn't pop along to this thread, PM ronald. He taught at the ski school last year, and I think is making a return this year. I'm sure he'll be able to suggest names.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
masmith,

There's a Wengen orientated thread on the site, http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=433&start=3920, where folks much more familiar with the resort than I post regularly. As Elizabeth B suggests, Ronald may be a good point of contact. Otherwise, DG Orf is a long time visitor and Stab is resident there.

La Famille Skibb went to Wengen last year for the first time. Without pretending to be as informed as others, here's my tuppence worth.

I strongly recommend the group lessons at ski school for your 10 year old. I say this as someone who invariably usually uses private lessons for kids having grown impatient with the attitude of some schools/instructors who belt around the mountain with kids in tow, but don't bother to develop their technique. We each used the ski school last year and all of us found that we learned more than we did during any previous tuition, either private or group. Private lessons don't have priority at lift queues in Wengen. Also, the ski area is 30 mins or more from the village by cable car or train so your 2 hour lesson is 90 mins less queueing time. You don't have to book and pay for a full weeks group lessons. Book any number of days you want and take them any day you want them.

For your 6 y.o. I dont' think that the resort has the equivalent of Antenne Handicap, the ski-school dedicated to people with disability that I've come across in France. It's far more likely that private lessons on the nursery slope is your best option. You could also consider tobogganing on a single toboggan as there are many toboggan runs in the resort. Also it helps to have someone smaller and softer in front of you if you crash wink

Hope this helps

Skibb
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
chuck the 6 year old in the kids ski school, they keep him busy for 3 hours a morning and at the end of the week gets a medal. He'll play around on the figeller all morning and I'm sure they have other ways to keep kids busy if they hate teh skiing. The playhouse keeps the kids busy with toys and things, I think they sometimes go skiing but it's more of a creche type thing imo.

Unfortunately the change in the work permit thing means most of the ski teachers I would recommend had to leave, yves de roche is about the best skier I know from the ski school if you can get him.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I will return, but only from Mid-term till the MSB this year (I had to leave just before last year Sad ) Wink

Ski school will be able to cater for both your children. Personally i don't consider myself the best option for the 6 year old (too 'competative' or 'performance' minded) and the abilities of the 10 year old i haven't teached yet. I won't be in wengen during easter anyways Wink
For the 6 year old I can recommend a friend of mine: Frank Zelsmann, he really is king with children, and enjoys the difficult learners, he will be able to help the 10 year old very well as well.... but i'm not sure he will be there during Easter. Send a PM if you want me to ask Frank for more details.

As a dutch speaking i'll probably be send to Club Med again...

Ski school Class lessons are from 10 to 13, 2hr private lessons are usually done in afternoons from 2 to 4, but you can put a request for mornings off course.

The only alternative to Skischool is 'Private' who are dedicated to private lessons only.

I totally agree with stab about Yves... but he is not the only one i have on the highly recommended list Wink
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Skibb, group lessons sound better than in most resorts so will have a chat with 10 y.o. and maybe resurrect that idea, but he doesn't like them so much, but if it's not every day then we will reconsider. Maybe you just got lucky?

With our 6 y.o. we'll do doing tobogganing etc in the afternoons with him, skiing too hopefully, but would like to find him some suitable supervision during the mornings to give us some time to ourselves. This easter he was in day nursey (Saas Grund) with 1.5 hours skiing each day, but he didn't get enough attention during the skiing time so we had to book some private lessons on top, well worth it in the end. We've also got some non-skiers in the party so have another option there, but we really want to get him onto skis and mixing with other kids.

stab, thanks for the contact name, best skier doesn't always equal best teacher though, especially with kids ?

If anyone can keep my 6 y.o in a ski school for 3 hours a day then they'll deserve the medal ! Very Happy

Ronald, sorry you won't be there at Easter. Frank sounds like a good option if available, PM on way.

Info really useful, thanks.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
masmith wrote:
stab, thanks for the contact name, best skier doesn't always equal best teacher though, especially with kids ?

I wouldn't mention him if I didn't think he was a good teacher as well. If your kids want to learn switch corked 720s or all that piste turning stuff you skiers like he can teach it. Really any of the established guys there are worth the money, if their picture is on the board outside they are generally good.

Just don't get a dutch club med teacher, they make the kids sing in the cable car. Not so bad for the kids I know but when my mp3 player is flat not so good for me. Laughing
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
masmith wrote:

If anyone can keep my 6 y.o in a ski school for 3 hours a day then they'll deserve the medal ! Very Happy

I'll be dumping my 6 year old nephew in there end of december, if they can control him then I'm sure yours will be a breeze.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

I wouldn't mention him if I didn't think he was a good teacher as well

fair point, but as Skibb commented, I've seen way too many ski schools just blasting around the mountain playing catch up, I've even been in one of those ski schools, but on that occasion I was always at the front of the class and the (female) (fit) instructor had a sweet ass so it was a piece of cake and a pleasure too .... Very Happy ... oh, to be young and single
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
masmith wrote:
fair point, but as Skibb commented, I've seen way too many ski schools just blasting around the mountain playing catch up, I've even been in one of those ski schools, but on that occasion I was always at the front of the class and the (female) (fit) instructor had a sweet ass so it was a piece of cake and a pleasure too .... Very Happy ... oh, to be young and single

hahahaha, I always thought you was a woman, I'm such a dumbass.

I know the ski lessons you're talking about, the 1st few people behind the teacher then a long snake of people struggling to keep up/ignoring everything they are supposed to be doing.
Privat ski school has Chi Chi, he's another awesome skier and teacher. I don't know his real name though, alain I think.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
stab wrote:

hahahaha, I always thought you was a woman, I'm such a dumbass.

I could be !
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
lolz, I'm going to quit while I'm slightly ahead I think.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
not heard lolz before so looked it up here:

You can come out the closet now
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
hahahaha OHNOEZ!!ELEVENTYONEKAKAKAKA

didn't know that Embarassed
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
masmith,

For some reason I thought you were female too. Dunno why Shocked You really should double check. Stab and I can't both be wrong Toofy Grin

I don't think the kids group lessons were merely luck. Could be wrong but I'd stake my house on it. I think it's the best option for your 10 year old.

Regarding your 6 y.o., it depends on his/her ultimate potential. I have skiied a few times with my nephew who has Downs Syndrome. He is 15 and has skiied 3 times with some UK dry ski slope experience also. He ski's in straight lines and can turn and stop when instructed. However, he doesn't turn or stop unless instructed. Anyone standing in the way is fair game as a crash barrier / landing pad and more often than not he ends up sitting on top, grinning, delighted to have met someone else new! In earlier years, we hoped that he would learn to stop and turn like everyone else, just figured that it would take him longer. However it hasn't worked out like that.

His balance and technique are fine. It's just that when skiing, he concentrates so much, that he's not aware of anything further away than 2 feet from him. He seems to have reached a plateau where he skies fine on blues with someone holding his hand guiding him. However he's not a candidate for a group ski lesson, even a beginners group as an instructor couldn't reasonably be expected to give him the level of attention he requires.

If you can get your 6.yo to ski, turn and stop, on his/her own then group lessons are an option. Could it be that he/she can't turn and stop yet because of age and experience but will learn with a bit more practice? Until then however, I suggest that private lessons are your only bet despite the cost.

Sorry for long reply.

Skibb
snow report
stab, is a lady masmith, don't worry about it ! (or was that the other way around??)

( Apologies for interjecting on a serious thread Toofy Grin ) Winter is close !
snow conditions
Skibb, thanks for reassurance about the group lessons, will discuss with my wife !

My 6 y.o (well, he's 5 but will be 6 when we go) also has DS. Much of what you say sounds so true, not stopping unless instructed etc. Next year he will have more strength so that may help, you never know he might even be talking by then, that could help too. But as long as he is involved then that's the main thing.

Has your nephew had private lessons or just learnt with parents etc. I'm quite happy to ski with 6 y.o but as I said before would just like a couple of hours each day to play in the snow ourselves.

Going to try a few lessons at Xscape before we go.

Here's a clip of the little star in action

p.s. you're a bloke ?
ski holidays
stab wrote:

Just don't get a dutch club med teacher, they make the kids sing in the cable car. Not so bad for the kids I know but when my mp3 player is flat not so good for me. Laughing

Is it bad i am 98% sure i know which teacher you mean NehNeh?
latest report
Ronald wrote:
stab wrote:

Is it bad i am 98% sure i know which teacher you mean NehNeh?

Is he a slightly well built guy with hair that's a bit thin?
ski holidays
his hair is blonde, not very short... and he rowed national level...
snow conditions
will he have new songs for this season?
ski holidays
No idea... He's on the board at the ski school office btw ;P
latest report
masmith,

His first year was in group lessons with a parent in tow. Subsequently he was in private lessons only and also they tried a fair amount of dry slope skiing aimed at getting him to learn to turn and stop before getting to the snow.

His best instruction was with Antenne Handicap in France. Although they seem more geared for people with physical disabilities they were quite innovative in working with him. Initially they guided him using a pole (skiing beside instructor, both holding a broom handle sized pole). Later, the instructor skiied beside him holding his hand.

Mind you, his favourite thing was sledging on a cheap €2.99 sledge.

Skibb.

ps I am a bloke.
snow report
Ronald wrote:
No idea... He's on the board at the ski school office btw ;P

they have a new board now and it's only the regular instructors on it, a lot of people vanished from it.

haha, thread hijack Smile
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy