Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Val Thorens - tower crane....?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I know this might appear a stupid question - but can anyone confirm if the tower crane, that is visable on the VT web cam, will be removed prior to the season start?

I have booked 1st week in March at Les Balcons and the crane appears to be below the aptartments - I know some of you will think this will make little difference to the aesthetic beauty of VT but I would like to think my view would be crane free....

Cheers if anyone knows the answer.

http://www.valthorens.com/winter/ski-resort/goodies/webcams-133-2.html
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I don't know whether the crane will be there but I'm betting it'll be gone even if construction isn't finished. I can't see the company planning to work during the ski season because of the obvious problems the snow will bring.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Trying to remember but there were some big cranes in Belle Plagne prior to winter and I am fairly sure they came down for the 4-5 months of the ski season.

Much like they can't lay cement and do outdoor building work in the winter maybe there are techncial reasons (freezings conditions) as to why they won't leave cranes up?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
gwaelod wrote:
Maybe there are techncial reasons (freezings conditions) as to why they won't leave cranes up?

I can think of a biological reason not to sit in a tower crane in VT during winter. It includes the words; monkey, freeze, brass and balls!Shocked
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Can't see why they'd remove the crane if they're not finished working on the construction - just adds to the cost. Unfortunately, I've seen cranes up in resorts through the season even though no work was going on. Have to hope the work'll be done by the time the season starts.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
they normally carry out the construction work during the summer, because as said above it's too cold and all the builders have got better things to do like teach you to ski etc
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Can't see why they'd remove the crane if they're not finished working on the construction

No point having it stand idle for several months when it can be dismantled and used somewhere else johnnyh, these things cost a lot of money and there is an opportunity cost as well as a pure monetary cost involved. You might see cranes standing idle in eastern european ski resorts probably becoz there is little demand for construction elsewhere in those countries, but that is not likely in France.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Andy4467,

It's normally part of the planning conditions (or French equivelent) that the cranes are removed during the season in Tignes.

Also with the high winds sometimes experienced in Val T, Tignes & other high resorts it is not safe to leave the cranes up during the winter months.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for the replies,

I'll watch the webcam over the coming 7 weeks with interest... sorry 6 weeks, 5 days - VT is then open.

Stewart W

Being an optimist I am with you on this one - cheers for the info!

Thanks once again.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Andy4467 wrote:
I know some of you will think this will make little difference to the aesthetic beauty of VT but I would like to think my view would be crane free....

Surely there are more important things to worry about pre-ski trip.. like will there be any snow, what'll the accomodation be like, will my kit get there ok, will I & friends get there ok etc. etc..
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hi bertie,

Plenty of things to think about pre-ski trip, insurance, channel crossing, do I overnight in Chambery or Annecy? with hopefully non to worry about: lol.

like will there be any snow - Val Thorens is at 2300m??????
what'll the accomodation be like - been there before, need I say more.
Will my kit get there ok - all my gear will be with me in the car...
Will I & friends get there ok etc. etc.. - see above.... 4x4 with chains.

snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It's Gone...! Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool

I can no longer see it on the webcam?

www.valthorens.com/winter/ski-resort/goodies/webcams-133-2.html
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I remember in CransMontana they had a crane all season over the outdoor ice rink where they (not me) did bungy jumping Laughing Just thought you would like to know that Blush
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy