Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

files n stones quick question

Poster: A snowHead
100 grit = corse
1500 grit = fine
Or is it the other way round?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
yup the first
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
II, Correct. The higher the grit no. the smoother it is & the less it cuts.

Diamond files/stones for tuning are commonly available as:

100grit - coarse (but still cuts a less than a 'fine' metal file)
200grit -
400grit - medium cut/initial polish
600grit - fine cut/polish
1500grit - super fine/super polish (feels like it has no abrasion at all)
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
And if you have about 4 grades you only need a couple of passes on each to get a really smooth edge.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have a metal file and a fine diamond one at the moment and am looking for a 100 grit and 400 grit one now thanks to this advice.

I sent my skis for there first base grind in May. I asked for 1 degree base and 2 degree side tune and asked them to leave the wax on - Skis have been in their bag in the corner of my bedroom ever since.
I think it is now time to scrape the wax off and re-apply some more Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
II, You'll end up addicted Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Scarpa wrote:
II, You'll end up addicted Twisted Evil

Cool
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
To dig up an old thread - are files (and stones) directional i.e. does it matter which way you use the file?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
euanovsky wrote:
To dig up an old thread - are files (and stones) directional i.e. does it matter which way you use the file?

Non directional: alu-oxides, diamonds, Arkansas, ceramic.
Directional: metal files
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@euanovsky,
Files are directional, diamond stones aren't.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
This is going to be a really dumb question (not really a DIY person!) which direction should I use? I should file against the direction (i.e. the direction that gives more resistance) right?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
My one has an arrow on the side indicating the direction of travel. It's small and a bit faint but it is there if you look closely.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
euanovsky wrote:
This is going to be a really dumb question (not really a DIY person!) which direction should I use? I should file against the direction (i.e. the direction that gives more resistance) right?

Yep. If you use a metal file the wrong way round it won;t cut so it's pretty easy to suss out.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@spyderjon, thanks!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
euanovsky wrote:

Also worth remembering you should generally work from tip to tail (so file starting at front and moving towards rear of ski).
snow report
qwerty360 wrote:
........Also worth remembering you should generally work from tip to tail (so file starting at front and moving towards rear of ski).

Nope.

The direction you pull the metal file depends upon whether you're right or left handed. The ski is up on edge in the vices with the bases away from you so a right handed person with pull the file from left to right and a left handed person will go from right to left. The ski is then switched end to end and repeat. This means that one edge will be filed from tip to tail and the other edge tail to tip. Same goes when using a sidewall stripper.

If you're a true ambi (like me as I'm one of Gods chosen 10% and had to learn to use a lot of tools right handed) then you can do it either way but most right handed people of pretty poor with their left hand - and having the side edge angle guide slip off the ski when using a sidewall stripper or a metal file is a great way of taking a nice big gouge out of the ski base and probably your thumb as well.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 5-03-22 22:06; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@qwerty360, that's not going to work. Almost noone is able to properly do ski in both directions (I have been serviceman on World cup for quite some time and I'm not able to do this, with same accuracy and quality, neither I know anyone of my friends still in this business who would be able to do this), which means, one edge will be done from tip to toe, while other edge of ski will go opposite way. And realistically, it doesn't really matter anyway. Different thing is with waxing, scraping and brushing. There you always do it from tip to toe, as skis are faster if done right way, as if they are done wrong way (from back to front).
snow conditions
One more thing about filing, if you are applying pressure on the backstroke of the file with hard materials then over time you can round the teeth and make the file less efficient at cutting.

I'm still using my Moonflex diamond stones from the Piste Office which I bought before this thread even started Very Happy 100, 400, 600 and 1500 grits and they are till going strong despite the number of skis we own.
snow conditions
spyderjon wrote:
qwerty360 wrote:
........Also worth remembering you should generally work from tip to tail (so file starting at front and moving towards rear of ski).

Nope.

The direction you pull the metal file depends upon whether you're right or left handed. The ski is up on edge in the vices with the bases away from you so a right handed person with pull the file from right to left and a left handed person will go from right to left. The ski is then switched end to end and repeat. This means that one edge will be filed from tip to tail and the other edge tail to tip. Same goes when using a sidewall stripper.

If you're a true ambi (like me as I'm one of Gods chosen 10% and had to learn to use a lot of tools right handed) then you can do it either way but most right handed people of pretty poor with their left hand - and having the side edge angle guide slip off the ski when using a sidewall stripper or a metal file is a great way of taking a nice big gouge out of the ski base and probably your thumb as well.

Both say right to left. Clearly one will go the other way, left to right. Which is which?
ski holidays
sibhusky wrote:
.......Both say right to left. Clearly one will go the other way, left to right. Which is which?

Sorry, my typo. I've corrected my post to read: a right handed person with pull the file from left to right and a left handed person will go from right to left.

In engineering a metal file cuts on the away stroke but when tuning side edge angles the file is rotated 180 degrees so it cuts on the pull stroke. That's why the ski base is facing away from you so that you have something to pull against:

latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy