Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mount Olympus in Greece?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
A couple of plane mags recently have been writing that it is possible to walk and hike, rather than climb, to the top of Mount Olympus in Greece during the Summer.

It is under 3k meters and, in photos, it looks relatively unsteep at the peak.

Has anyone summited during the Summer? How easy was it? Is it worthwhile or pointless?

Thanks in advance.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Whitegold, I was going to say that there was actually a ski resort there, but it turns out I was thinking of Mount Parnassus... although there is a Mt. Olympus ski resort on Cyprus (& a somewhat more unexpected one in NZ!)

However, I did find this on a bird-watching site (I left the bird bit in because they sound rather nice Smile )

Mount Olympus:

Great walk up to the summit from the car park. 10+ kilometres walk each way, fairly steep some places, but not too difficult. Bring plenty of drinking water and some biscuits/chocolate-bars, and there is a superb "café" (called refuge A in Gosney) halfway up that serves cold sodas and hot dinner.

We had Alpine Accentors from just above the café to the summit. Snowfinch was seen halfway between the café and summit, and Wallcreeper approximately 75-100 meters to the left of where the path ends, towards Skolio summit. The Lammergeiers that were seen here feeding, have been absent the last few years.

Doesn't sound like it's any big deal at all if you're a climber, but it's probably a very enjoyable hike Smile
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Whitegold, I've got pretty close in good weather in December, and only turned back because I ran out of food and no-one knew I was there. It's pretty straightforward and very beautiful and atmospheric.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks, guys. It all sounds fairly doable.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Whitegold,

I walked up it in 1994. I'd describe it as proper mountain walking with a little easy scrambling right at the top (need to use your hands but its not very steep or exposed). It's a lovely walk. On the standard route you first walk up a lovely wooded gorge and then wind your way up a mule track to a mountain hut. Most people stay a night there (great spot) before summiting and walking all the way down the next day. I had good weather on the first day but it was overcast on the second and I was in the cloud at the top. I can't remember any problems with route finding so it must be well marked. It's very popular and you'll see plenty of people. One caveat, at that point in my life I had recently done a fair bit of climbing and mountaineering as well as backpacking - I may remember it as more of a "stroll in the park" than I would think it was today (if you know what I mean).

I was interrailing on my own at the time and set off alone but ended-up walking most of the way with a French woman and two Canadian girls.

Well worth the trip if you are planning on being in Greece. Other places to consider if you fancy a sunny walking holiday with easy(ish) summits would be Pyrenees, Picos D'Europa (NW Spain) and Corsica. All recommended but I'd say Olympus is probably a little easier than comparable summits in Corsica and the Picos. Definitely busier and less wild.

Cheers,

J
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Jedster -- Great info. Thanks.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy