Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dry slope skiing help

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Alan Craggs, Oops - pressed the wrong button.......
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ooohhh javelins...that takes me back......
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
george stern, I attempted to learn on a dry ski slope and hated it I did not look forward to my first attempt on snow. Some people seemed to just glide down and i struggled big style. It turned out the snow was so much easier, i have never been back to the dry slopes.
There is definatley a secret to dry slope skiing. Confused
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm doing the turns across 2 mats - the turns start off ok then get worse. It all seems to happen too quickly. I think I must need to practice more larger radius turns to see if I'm doing things wrong there and it just being emphasised on shorter turns. I know I'm not moving the inside ski out of the way and I know I'm not stem turning.
I am a bit curious as to why everyone says all the weight should be on the downhill ski. I stuck with this as a 2nd week skier, this time last year, and after it had snowed rather heavily, weighting the downhill ski made it give way under the soft snow.
Erica -desperate not to look like a daft Brit...
...and wanting to ski the short narrow pistes from the mountain restaurants without fear..
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The problem you have Erica is that the weight on the downhill ski works fine on piste in hardpack, but like you say once you get into soft snow what you find is one leg dive bombs down and the other floats up, usually ensuring that the skier falls over pretty quickly. The answer is to try to weight the skis more evenly in soft or powder snow. That way you should be more balanced
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
If you are using skis that have a naturally small turn radius (so-called *carving* skis) then you will need to apply more even pressure to both skis anyway, otherwise the outside ski will turn *too much* compared with the inside ski.

2 mats is not particularly narrow, how slow (or fast) are you trying to go? Or to put it another way, how many turns are you hoping to do in, say, 30 metres?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Alan Craggs, It would indeed be that very same "mad Mike" who now lives in London and is into telemarking! So we have indeed met! NehNeh
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Alan - 2 mats is narrow for me Happy
I trotted off today, armed with 'The All Mountain Skier' and did some practising on the dry slope. I have been making more of an effort to steer the inside ski and edge it more. In all the lessons in resort that I've had no-one has said anything about the inside ski.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
death*on*the*roof, I look forward to our next meeting, when you can explain your pseudonym Toofy Grin

erica2004, Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
erica2004, Dryslope speak 1 mat (or less) = short, 2 mats = medium 3 or more long ! Laughing
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I am new to this forum and I was reading through a lot of the comments and would like to get to know which surface people like best for skiing, racing, snowboarding and tubing? Most surfaces require a misting system and some are completely dry. I want to say it first thing, I am a rep for a new product called mSnow made in the USA. It is a plastic mold and use a wax on your skies, boards and tubes. The last year I have been playing with it a lot at ski area shows and even used some last winter in combination with snow. This stuff is really slick, nearly equal to snow. In a few months we will have a slope near Atlanta, GA covered in mSnow for tubing and a terrain park. This will be our largest install and we will get a really good feel for it.

Thanks
Jason
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy