Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

I Live in London, it's mid winter and I want to ski this weekend....

Poster: A snowHead
OK I don't live in London, but that's not the point of this challenge.

It's winter time and before I finish work at 5pm on Friday I'm going to check the reports and forecasts as I want to go skiing (or winter climbing) this weekend if the forecasts good. I haven't pre-booked anything, so would need to be able to do what's required online (sneekly before leaving work to speed things up snowHead ).

I really don't want to have to take Monday off work, I could take the morning off if I must, but I would like to ski or climb all day Saturday and Sunday.

What are my options, where could I go, how would I travel, what are the stages of the Journey and how much (approx) will this short notice sortie to the snow cost me?

Your suggestions please. snowHead
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
La Rosiere would be good. There is some terrific skiing there - just right for your standard. At a rock-bottom price, and easily reached. You'll have the weekend of your life.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Winterhighland getting cheap flight last minute could be a pain, dont think lyingair, sleazyjet etc let you book for same day departure do they?

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 25-09-07 14:14; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Get on internet, get to Heathrow Friday evening, flight to Glasgow/Ed ........... Very Happy easy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
achilles wrote:
La Rosiere would be good. There is some terrific skiing there - just right for your standard. At a rock-bottom price, and easily reached. You'll have the weekend of your life.

Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
achilles, Yes but its a good 3hr drive to resort which would cut a big chunk out of a long weekend. Salzburg and B&B in one of the Ski Amade resorts would be a good choice as many can be accessed in under an hour. Perhaps there would be more flight options to Geneva with skiing at La Clusaz or Les Contamines for a short transfer.

Can we have a tired irony smiley please Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Winterhighland, suspecting there's more to this than meets the eye I just tried to run through booking the sleeper to Aviemore: £112 for this friday BUT you wouldn't make it back before 1500 on Monday and you'd need a bed up there for two nights arther than one. Its something I'm considering doing this season but obvioulsy weather dependent.

OTOH if the conditions are there you could jump in a car and go to Snowdonia for some fun winter routes snowHead
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Winterhighland, www.skiweekends.com would give you 3 days at the 3 valleys leaving 5:00 on Thursday and getting back early/mid morning on the Monday.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Some Snowheads are leaving Manchester 06.15 on a saturday, arriving Salzburg just after 9 and intend to be skiing in Radstat by noon. 8pm flight back tuesday gives 3.5 days skiing with only 3 nights accomodation. I am sure something could be organised for a weekend.
EDIT
Flights £100
Transfer £40
B&B per night £25

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Tue 25-09-07 15:23; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Should be able to get a sleeper from London to Fort Bill or Aveimore and be back in London on Monday morning. If you need an overnight bed and your a cheapskate you could take a pit and dig a snow hole in some where like Ciste Mheariad. It was done at one of the Winterhighland get togethers in the 05/06 season. I wimped and camped out at Glenmore. Those who didn't had to dig themselves out due to the large qauntities of fresh snow and drifting that occurred overnight. Another cheap alternative is B&B at Glenmore lodge for ~£20/night (but you might have to share a room for that price).
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Conversley I did the same for booking easyjet Gatwick to Grenoble (this was for the first weekend of the half term week to attempt to simulate last minute availability) the cost was ~£200 return out on Friday back Sunday, however, this could be reduced to significantly less than the sleeper if Thursday and Monday flights were chosen.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ray Zorro wrote:
Winterhighland, www.skiweekends.com would give you 3 days at the 3 valleys leaving 5:00 on Thursday and getting back early/mid morning on the Monday.

I forgot to say...

2 nights bed and breakfast + the overnight coach travel (giving 3 days skiing) would be just over £200 each for 2. Extras include 3 day lift pass, equipment hire and 2 x evening meals.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Easyjet allow online booking for same day flights but with not less than 2 hrs before departure time.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bike taxi to City Airport. Private jet into Courchevel. Job done Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
well, i think this is clearly getting at scotland as the destination and i'd be inclined to agree. i've only tried a really last minute one to the alps once and it was v expensive. train (or plane) up north makes sense if conditions are good. i want to try some touring in the Lake District sometime if conditions permit
ski holidays
Air France - London City > Geneva, Friday 1945>22:30 and hire car from there.
Come back on Sunday (1700 flight) or Monday (0750 flight - back at 0850 in time for work)

La Clusaz or simlar closeish resort.

But is it really worth however much it costs (and an early am GVA > LCY flight will cost ++) for 2 days?

I think that is you spend more time travelling than skiing you are doing the wrong thing. It ain't worth it.

A private jet might help...
snow report
Itinerary Details
------------------------------------------------------------
Depart: LHR - London, EN, United Kingdom (Heathrow)
Arrive: GVA - Geneva, Switzerland (Geneve-Cointrin)

Segment 1:
Depart: LHR 7:25p 25/01/2008 Terminal: 4
Arrive: GVA 10:05p 25/01/2008 Terminal: M
Flight: BA 738 - British Airways
32S - Airbus Industrie A318/319/320/321
Operating Carrier: British Airways
Total Duration: 1 hours 40 minutes

------------------------------------------------------------
Depart: GVA - Geneva, Switzerland (Geneve-Cointrin)
Arrive: LHR - London, EN, United Kingdom (Heathrow)

Segment 1:
Depart: GVA 8:35p 27/01/2008 Terminal: M
Arrive: LHR 9:25p 27/01/2008 Terminal: 4
Flight: BA 737 - British Airways
32S - Airbus Industrie A318/319/320/321
Operating Carrier: British Airways
Total Duration: 1 hours 50 minutes
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
arriving Geneva just after 9 and intend to be skiing in Radstat by noon.

Where's Radstat ? Puzzled
ski holidays
boredsurfin, can jets get into the Altiport? You might do better to have your helicopter on standby at Chamberry Toofy Grin
latest report
Sleeper to Fort Bill, booking in advance through bargain berths can be as cheap as £12 each way. Unfortunately they don't seem to offer these fares from Preston Sad
latest report
brian, its one d suburbs of Radstadt Embarassed
snow report
brian wrote:

About 45 mins from Salzburg, near Obertauern (15 mins) but, iirc part of the Ski Amade area.
snow report
brian wrote:

At a guess....Radstadt, Sankt Johann im Pongau, Salzburg, Austria

Google maps link
snow report
I do the same thing from Berlin.

Here's the method:
Where can I get a late flight to after work: Munich or Zurich. Other airports require a morning flight, and are therefore not feasable. Usual price: Munich €57 return, Zurich €89-99 return.

Where can I still get a train to from those airports when I arrive: Engelberg, Garmisch or Bayerischzell. I don't want to rent a car, but doing so would certainly improve the Zurich option.

Does the journey work in reverse Sunday night and still allow for a full day's skiing or Monday morning getting me to work by noon: Yes on both counts.

So I've got three options, then on to booking acomm. Hotel Bellevue in Engelberg is €35 per night, shared bath. Garmisch and Bayerischzell are full of cheap accom.

There's a weekend with two full days skiing for easily less than €300.

With more cheap flights from London than from Berlin, it should only be easier for you.
ski holidays
http://www.radstadt.com/winterurlaub/usa.htm

A bunch of us staying at snowhead flangesax's B&B
snow report
How much is the sleeper service from London going to cost if you book the same day as you travel, compared to booking in advance?
latest report
Frosty the Snowman
So you're going to Austria via Geneva?
snow report
Winterhighland, MK Xscape should do the trick Smile

Get in some climbing at Ellis Brigham, skiing on the slope and even some skydiving! Sleep in one of the underpasses (dirty, smelly coat and bottle of meths optional) and do some fare dodging on the train and you'd had a cheap weekend Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Frosty the Snowman,
Bloody quick drive from Geneva though. wink
snow report
 brian
brian
Ray Zorro, kitenski, ta. It did sound a bit Germanic to be getting to fast from GVA.
snow conditions
DB, T Bar, Don't know what you are on about wink

)Last edited by Frosty the Snowman on Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:23 pm; edited 2 times in )
ski holidays
DB wrote:
Frosty the Snowman
So you're going to Austria via Geneva?

DB, he might be - the rest are flying direct to Salzburg rolling eyes
ski holidays
So far 11 are travelling from a week in Saalbach and 5 of us flying out for the long weekender
latest report
 brian
brian
Frosty the Snowman, that's quite a big clique you have there wink
latest report
Not cheap but possible - closest resort to Zurich is ............

Outbound - Saturday 16 Feb, 2008 07:00 16 Feb 09:45

16 Feb City Airport (London) Zurich BA8761 BA Cityflyer Economy (Traveller) £ 412.60

Sunday 17 Feb, 2008 19:30 17 Feb 20:10 17 Feb Zurich City Airport (London) BA8762
BA Cityflyer Economy (Traveller)
snow report
brian, Its my knee, been making that noise for years wink

Alternately - if "clique" also mean "gathering of social misfits and inbred mutants"? then you would be correct in your observation.
snow report
Winterhighland, I think the busy weekend is possible but I would suggest that you would need every minute available and it may be wise to make your choices on the Thursday night. Conditions and forecasts should be fairly accurate by then.
latest report
 brian
brian
Frosty the Snowman, Laughing sounds like a quality trip.

I'm officially stopping worrying about the La Grave thread sounding too closed off and cliquey now though !
snow conditions
rob@rar, thats what I did: £112 although you could get a discount with a railcard.
snow conditions
Swirly wrote:
rob@rar, thats what I did: £112 although you could get a discount with a railcard.

Thanks, makes it fairly expensive for a couple of days I guess.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy