Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow Mag...

Poster: A snowHead
... first edition is out. Got handed a copy today. 72 pages for free can't be bad. Here's the digital version http://emag.digitalpc.co.uk/crc/snow_october07.asp
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Looks good.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
alex_heney, Looks great . . . but the digital mag style is going to kill the print revenue stream . . . but perhaps that's the way to go. The advertisers pay for staff and design costs against the on-line reader numbers and it's never available in a hard copy.

I quite like that, read it on-line and purchase a download to read and/or keep at your leisure . . . no trees get killed and no carbon gets burnt in production/delivery and disposal . . .

AND . . . it does mean that the mag will succeed on its merits . . . and this one is a good read . . . so far wink
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Masque, hmmm, the print version is free, i.e. gratis and for nothing and so the online version will kill print revenues? Hmmm...

Bode Swiller, "It's OFFICIAL. Girls who snowboards are eight times sexier than girls who ski." They can't do fractions and they're just plain wrong...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Masque, the print version goes out free via slopes, retailers etc and, obviously, the e version is free too... some people don't get out much. So, if anything, the ad revenue yield should be held up.

David Murdoch, girls who can't do fractions or add up are even sexier. I don't think it was a serious survey somehow.

It is a good read and I can't see any advertorial yet wink
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Article in there on the Mondial Du Ski for all you PSBers
latest report
 brian
brian
Bode Swiller, 3 plugs in < 24 hours, any interest to declare ?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Bode Swiller, Normally I would agree with you, hovwever I was told not to go out with women that cant count!!!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
brian wrote:

No. He just rubbishes S&B impartially. rolling eyes

However, at first glance it doesn't look bad, but it's the sort of layout that meeds a 21" (or greater) monitor, IMV.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

No. He just rubbishes S&B impartially.
achilles, the only thing I have a playful go at is the high % of paid-for editorial that some people (not all, but some) get confused with proper impartial editorial. That's all.

brian, I have no interest in it but the crew there are pals.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

it's the sort of layout that meeds a 21" (or greater) monitor, IMV.
You can always zoom in of course. You don't need a monitor at all to view the electronic version of S+B Laughing
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Bode Swiller wrote:
Quote:

it's the sort of layout that meeds a 21" (or greater) monitor, IMV.
You can always zoom in of course.

But you then loose the visual impact.

Quote:
You don't need a monitor at all to view the electronic version of S+B Laughing

That's true. Despite an number of friends having had a go at a certain sH.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
achilles, would you like them to send out a free 21" flat screen as well? I'll have a word rolling eyes
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
achilles, just for you I've tried it on a 15" laptop (had to find a lead, power up etc etc). Mostly readable and any bits that aren't you just need to click on to enlarge. Click again to zoom back out. Easy peasy. Frankly, no loss of visual impact at all. Also just noticed that all the web addresses are live links - useful. This is the way ahead in my view... no need to waste paper, pay transport etc and I can store them in a file for future ref.

You'd think S+B would be doing this already what with the club's supposed green agenda.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Bode Swiller, It would be easier to read as a PDF.
latest report
 brian
brian
Bode Swiller, technology wise, I like it. Content wise, so-so, although to be fair, I think skiing mags are in general a waste of time.

Far better spending the time on here, tgr, skipass, etc.
snow report
Bode Swiller wrote:
.......You'd think S+B would be doing this already what with the club's supposed green agenda.

I agree.
snow conditions
Bode Swiller, not impressed by the software - I have seen way nicer ways of displaying online mag content. Clicking on the corners of the pages leads to zoom rather than page turning for instance.

Target group seems to be the young rider. Surprisingly high amount of stuff about North America (not a bad thing but does it reflect the target demographic?). Huge amount of advertising and some of the product/general news looks like straightforward press release regurgitation. Some ads looking pretty close to Advertorial (Andorra for instance) And I don't like the layout which is messy without being stylish. Unusual spelling of Steeze on page 68 which has to be viewed sideways...(no 90 degree rotate unlike pdfs... ) Cannot think of a ski mag I have seen that I like less! Personal opinion, but feel free to pass it on. Sad
snow conditions
stoatsbrother, s'funny cos clicking on the top right corner turns the page (ie it's the place you're most likey to do it with your finger & thumb on a real mag). There's bound to be lots of ads because it is a free mag with no other source of revenue and, anyway, what's wrong with ads? Like with any mag on any subject, there's only ever a few articles that hit the spot for your particular interests. Target demographic in this case must be anyone tht picks it up for free in a ski shop so the range could be very wide. I think it is a big improvement on last season's Snow. Anyhow, I'm sure Mr Snow will be dropping by so he can take your comments on board for himself.
snow conditions
I thought it was OK. Turning the page was OK. Sizing it and reading the words was more difficult. Interesting bits on Salt Lake City and Switzerland.
snow report
The appeal of a format is a personal thing. FWIW, one of the best sites for newsy stuff (and much else) for outdoor activities (bar sHs, 'cause we are biased) is UK Climbing. Clean attractive look, and quick to load. Viewers can submit articles. And its free, of course. A benchmark.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I quite liked it, read a few articles from start to finish, which is always a good sign in my book!
ski holidays
Bode Swiller, Embarassed My mistake about the page turning - most software I have seen does this at the bottom corner.. but my mistake. Still think the layout is pretty poor. Might look better on paper I guess. It is good to see digital versions of mags though.
snow report
stoatsbrother, now you mention it, bottom right would feel more natural. Maybe they need to do both.
snow report
Bode Swiller, You talk elsewhere about advertorial but the issue seems to be heavily sponsored by a series of North American resorts looking at the puff pieces. Looks from a brief digital flip through an improvement on previous years but its a lightweight read like the Metro so I wouldn't expect to have to pay for it.
ski holidays
fatbob, to my eye they are definitely articles... ie places travelled to and written about by journos - not written by and space bought by a resort. The only two pages that are clearly paid-for promos are Andorra and Mike Wiegele. I'd rather pick this up for free than pay just short of four quid for S+B and its 19 pages of paid-for editorial.
ski holidays
Bode Swiller, C'mon Canadian Rockies Academy article? I notice some fall line regulars and a former Document & fall-line editor contributing stuff though.
latest report
I thought it was really good.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Blimey, what year were they on about for the PSB and I quote 'conditions were pretty good as it had snowed a few days earlier...'

Not last year, that's for sure Puzzled
snow report
Bode Swiller wrote:
The Crony Police are always on the beat.

brian wrote:

Bode Swiller wrote:
brian, I have no interest in it but the crew there are pals.

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?" Very Happy
snow conditions
Martin Bell, Who will guard the guards? - works better in English. Not too many Latin types round here. Answer... I dunno, themselves probably. I'm off duty now but I'll be back with more crony spotting from the Sundays Little Angel
latest report
promising enough, gave me something to read once I'd finished fall line at any rate.

The only thing id complain about was the pages printed sideways, very silly idea when the mag is being distributed online. On my 17" laptop screen i had to hit the zoom button a lot to read the text, but that wasnt really much different to looking at the photos on a page then reading the text in a normal mag.

Is it monthly?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy