Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

B2 v Apache Recon v Apache Crossfire?

Poster: A snowHead
Frosty the Snowman, "effortless" in a word sums up what I'm looking for Smile

OK now where can I demo a pair of Fischers hmm? Funnily enough my first trip this year is to Maria Alm, I belive the fischers are made over there so maybe hire, demo buy in resort could be the way forward. Looks like it might be difficult to demo the magfires though Sad
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
AxsMan, why do keep going back to wanting a shorter ski than you currently have? a too short ski will break away on ice and given your weight.....
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
skimottaret, Well I skied a pair of slightly shorter B1's last year and enjoyed the feel. Also several other 'lardy's' have said in this thread that on-piste they get on fine with 165's or 168's. I'm currently leaning (should that be angulating? Very Happy) toward the Fischers at 170, which is only 4cm less than my B2's for a significantly stiffer ski (I believe?).

I wouldn't have thought they would be less likely than the B2's to hold an edge even under the stress of carrying my substantial bulk? snowHead

(I am of course open to correction, as I admit to having little knowledge of what I'm talking about Little Angel )
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
AxsMan, hmmmm sounds to me that you need to ski on the different lengths to see what fires you up... as you already have B2's perhaps renting some in the mountains next time you are out may be better than trying to make up your mind here. Use the B2's as a benchmark to the fischers and elans and see what you have the most FUN on and then pull out the cc....
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
skimottaret, My thoughts exactly Very Happy

SMALLZOOKEEPER, No (printable) suggestions ? Smile How's the Lockwoods clinic going? (sorry I couldn't make it this time) Sad
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hmm, SKI Bilek have the Fischers for €529 + €28 shipping = £385 with the FS11 bindings, and Xspo.de have them on offer at €424 = £293 with the FX12 bindings (FS11's would be €25 less). Anyone dealt with either store from the UK? and are the FX bindings worth the extra €25, My credit card's getting that itchy feeling Madeye-Smiley Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
AxsMan, I have the FX12 bndings. Know nowt about binding but they come off easily when I fall over Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
AxsMan, dont do it until you have skied some longer skis.....
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
skimottaret, I have - my B2's Toofy Grin

Frosty the Snowman, Good enought for me!, I can feel the urge to give my card details to a european internet site building! Might give xspo a call. my germans a bit rusty, but I can just about manage ''hier ist mine credit carte" snowHead
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
OK search over - bought the Fischer's from xspo. €434 including shipping to Uk, at that price there was no turning away Laughing

Guess I'll just demo them after buying this time Madeye-Smiley

Thanks all for all the VERY helpful advice - I know, I'm just an impulsive fule who no not wot he do Embarassed snowHead
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
AxsMan,well done, in what length?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
skimottaret, 170, just a tad shorter than my B2's Toofy Grin
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Back to the original question, this year's crossfires are 68mm underfoot. That's basicly too narrow for anything offpiste especially at your weight, but will be a lot nicer onpiste. It was between the two K2s, I'd get the crossfires and keep your current skis for freshies.

I'd look at more than just those two though. Am liking the new magfires this year, as mentioned by others.

I ski 170s on groomed, only weigh 73kg and have never skied powder, though that should change in Canada this year... I'd say you should be looking at something in the 170s minimum, even for groomers
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
nzbassist, Thanks -however, Skis now being despatched from xspo Fischer RX 8 Fire FTI in a 170. specs are:

Fischer RX 8 Fire FTI
L : 170
S : 116 65 98
R : 13m

which pretty much hit the nail on the head for my requirements. I probably am a bit heavy for them, but since I'm not a very aggressive skier I don't believe this will give me a problem on-piste (in fact my weight might help make up for the lack of power in my turns), and anyway am trying quite hard to shed a few Kilos before the season so might be down around the 95kg range (I can live in hope!). I'm also hoping that the 1-3 base and edge angles of the RX 8's should give good edge hold in the hard-pack. Anyhow at the price I paid I'm pretty confident that if I just don't get on with them I can always ebay them for very little loss (if any), so it's kind of a post purchase demo if you see what I mean.

Thanks again to all for their very useful input.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Too late.

I was going to suggest some Scott Missions. rolling eyes
ski holidays
Kramer, Laughing Not more big phat 89 waist 'all rounders'? rolling eyes

I know they get great reviews but I want some slim waisted hardpack beaters. (maybe I'll demo some Missions if we have any big dumps this season snowHead ) I take it you're luvin yours? How do they compare to your old B2's?

Edit: Just got an email saying the Fischers are on their way Very Happy Very Happy WooHooo!
latest report
AxsMan, honestly, once you've got the hang of them, they carve hardpack as well as my B2s. You really have to drop your outside knee into the turn though.

89mm isn't phat really.
snow conditions
That's what happens when i read too late at night and don't notice a second page of posts Neh Neh

ugh, assignments.
latest report
Well after what felt like a month of waiting (but was actually 12 days) The Fischers have arrived! Very Happy

DPD (Parceline) managed to screw up the delivery address, but with a bit of help from xspo (who I heartily reccomend), they eventually found me and delivered the skis today! Going to MK tomorrow to give them a try-out.

Thought I'd post a pic of my 'quivver' Madeye-Smiley here first. Can't decide whether to keep the B2s or not so will hang on to them while I think about it snowHead

Thanks again for all the input!

snow report
AxsMan, looks fast Very Happy
ski holidays
FenlandSkier, Cool Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Laughing
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy