Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Ah Ha! moment

Poster: A snowHead
Have you ever struggled to get something during instruction, and later, when you are doing something completely unrelated have an "ah ha!" moment?

Mine:
Looking ahead!
I finally figured out that my biggest struggle when I started to ski bumps is looking ahead. When I'm cruising, not a problem. When I'm in the trees, not a problem, but when I get into bumps I start to over think, look down, reach back and just lose it!
At ESA Jeb Said, "Look Ahead"
Weems said, "pick someone you trust and follow them"

At bumpphest, I was fatigued after a couple of solid days of spring skiing, but I did it, tired legs and all. The bumps at Kton were unlike anything I'd ever seen. I sucked, but when Phil or Paul said follow me, I did better,(not great just better). I wasn't looking at the bumps, I was looking at the back of Phil or Paul.

Where the Ah Ha! comes in............
Mt biking. The one thing I know when I'm in the tight trees is, Don't look at the tree, look at your trail target. While riding last weekend, I said "AH HA! I get through the trees because I am not looking at them but past them!!!"

Same with bumps. When I looked at the back of a leader, I was looking past the bumps so they weren't an obstacle!

What's your Ah Ha Moment!?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mine can be found here
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
SnowHot, When I realised that not all ski's and boards are equal.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
kitenski, Nice video, although not really what I had in mind.
david@mediacopy, That, they are not!

Don't you love trying new stuff?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
mine was pretend your skiing on egg shells to deal with spring snow and breakable crust.....
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
SnowHot, funnily enough mine was also bumps related and a simple response to the question of, "Explain how you turn on one bump?". I was struggling a bit - even though it was knowledg eI had, I just hadn't really internalised it properly.

So as my teacher continues, "How can you expect to run a line of bumps if you don't even know how to turn on the first one? Today we work on the first (or individual) bump. Once you can turn on one, we'll work on stringing a few together."

Ah-Ha!

And it works, oh yes how it works.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
David Murdoch wrote:
SnowHot, funnily enough mine was also bumps related and a simple response to the question of, "Explain how you turn on one bump?". I was struggling a bit - even though it was knowledg eI had, I just hadn't really internalised it properly.

So as my teacher continues, "How can you expect to run a line of bumps if you don't even know how to turn on the first one? Today we work on the first (or individual) bump. Once you can turn on one, we'll work on stringing a few together."

Ah-Ha!

And it works, oh yes how it works.

So please tell us what you concluded about turning on that first bump Smile
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Knowing me Alan Partridge, knowing you Snowhot....

AH HA!!!!!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
In days of old, I had a problem keeping the upper body quiet. (Separation)

Many moons ago, when skis were longer and skinnier, I could be seen popping all over the mountain between falls. Until I snapped an arm at the neck of the humeris.

Too high in the arm to put in plaster, after the intial couple of days immobilisation, my arm rested in a sling. Every step, every twist and turn transmitted unwanted stress to the damaged arm. I had to walk softly.Step softly, move smoothly in whatever it was I was doing - or feel the pain.

About eight weeks later, and despite being caught by my physio a couple of times, I carried on training with my arm in a sling. One day, unbeknown to me, I was being watched by my coach.

"That's great," she said, "who got you to do it?"
Puzzled, I asked, "Do what?"
She explained, my upper body was quiet. My legs controlled my skis without interference from a popping twisting upper body. I was much smoother and in control.

After a few minutes I understood and a great milestone was passed and left behind.

It took a broken arm to quieten my upper body and start smoothing out my skiing - but at least it wasn't broken by my coach.

Disclaimer!
Please note: I don't advocate nor recommend that coaches take to breaking arms to facilitate improved performance or understanding.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

I don't advocate nor recommend that coaches take to breaking arms to facilitate improved performance or understanding.

But perhaps putting perfectly good arms in slings would yield similar benefits?Wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Latchigo, you guys are cracking me up!
Would you actually like to see something ski related?

http://youtube.com/v/rc0gZlJYNds
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
abc, One guy I knew swears by hangovers. He has to ski smoothly to avoid brain bouncing.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Snowshark, Love the story! A quiet upper body is something I struggle with also. As you may note in my youtube video.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
SnowHot, Doesn't look bad. I was much worse at the time of the story. I reckon a few hours with a coach working on active posture and balance; and activating the feet, ankles and knees a little more would lead to several what I call Eureka moments.

Where was the video taken?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
SnowHot, Doesn't look bad. I was much worse at the time of the story. I reckon a few hours with a coach working on active posture and balance; and activating the feet, ankles and knees a little more would lead to several what I call Eureka moments.

Where was the video taken?
snow report
SnowHot, I don't know whether its just the perspective, but I watched your video a number of times and it really looks like your 'motoring' in places - the speed you cover that distance in looks awesome, but despite what you may or may not be doing with your upper body (and I'm not qualified to comment on that) I wish I could find the guts to go that fast. I think if I could find the guts I'd be very close to cracking it. I really must do the mind over matter thing this year and just have a go, everyone says the faster I go the easier I'll find it, I must get it cracked. Anyhow, hopefully I should have all my own gear this year and this might do lots for my confidence as I get used to having my own stuff. After all it won't look good if I get to the 'all the gear, no idea' point will it. I'd be more than happy to ski as well as you, have you been skiing long?
ski holidays
rob@rar, You really want all the details? I will post if you want me to...
latest report
Quote:

She explained, my upper body was quiet. My legs controlled my skis without interference from a popping twisting upper body. I was much smoother and in control.

Similar (but much less painful) experience as Snowshark, first time skiing through bumps with seriously heavy rucksack - just couldn't afford to have any upper-body movement as the momentum of the sack would keep on going in that direction. Result: quiet upper body with legs doing the turning
ski holidays
David Murdoch wrote:
rob@rar, You really want all the details? I will post if you want me to...

Anything which would help me get an Ah Ha! moment in the bumps will be much appreciated!
ski holidays
Megamum, I used to think exactly the same as you about all the gear and extra speed. I cracked it alright - broke my arm.

While you're right in thinking speed (or flow) across the snow can help at least heighten your pleasure on skis, it's fine while you're in control and what you're doing benefits from some speed. But beware... overconfidence and too much speed can mask areas of skill that could benefit improvement until you hit the kind of surface you're not used to. Then we get another kind of "ah ha" moment. More of an "oh ****" moment. Don't ski any faster than you feel comfortable with simply to appease your friends.

Unfortunately, I learned the hard way many years ago.

SnowHot, obviously feels confident at the speeds witnessed in the video but has a a self awareness of ability. When self awareness of actual ability develops, it's easier, sometimes with the guidance of a coach, sometimes without, to move up the ability ladder.
latest report
rob@rar, OK, you may have to wait till tomorrow (I am on a long train journey in the morning...)
ski holidays
Beginners don't have so many Ah...Ha... moments, but one of my breakthroughs was being told to pedal a bicycle to press down with the outside foot on the turn whilst lightening on the inside one, voila! suddenly I was making much better turns.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Tue 2-10-07 21:35; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Megamum, excellent. Proactive foot and leg work.
snow report
Snowshark, Very Happy I'm going to try it out on the mountain in February, but it definitely worked at the Snowdome!! I got down that slope on one occasion and it felt so good compared to when I had started that day that I let out an involuntary whoop of joy - I'm not usually that demonstrative!!!
snow report
Megamum, Well done. It's ceratinly an important ability that can be built on. Enjoy your trip in February. Maybe you'll get a few more trips to the ski slope in the mean time.
ski holidays
SnowHot wrote:
Latchigo, you guys are cracking me up!
Would you actually like to see something ski related?

http://youtube.com/v/rc0gZlJYNds

was this before or after Jeb's class?

Take a really good hard look at the 0:10 seconds frame.

Quote:
I was fatigued after a couple of solid days of spring skiing, but I did it, tired legs and all. The bumps at Kton were unlike anything I'd ever seen. I sucked, but when Phil or Paul said follow me, I did better,(not great just better).

Time to stop MTB riding as you ski and get into more of a time trial/triathlon position of the hips and feet?

If I can poach some diagrams from Softride:

relaxed, weight is on back wheel:

tri:

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Tue 2-10-07 22:44; edited 3 times in total
snow conditions
Megamum, I think that when you have those periods of 'Oh my god I am enjoying this sooo much!!!'.... those those are the Ah Ha moments that make you relise how much fun progressing can be. After all - the fun is why we do it Cool
latest report
comprex, n there's me thinking "get forward" while I watched it.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
To answer all of the questions above
Snowshark, I'm at The Ridge, Crystal Mountain Michigan, in this video. I had been taking video of friends in the adjacent terrain park thus I'm on my karmas in this video. One of them said, Hey, lets get some video of you. So he did.

Megamum, I am very comfortable with speed. Moguls are my nemesis, But I will conquer them.!
The key to speed is to just get faster on a regular basis. It probably doesn't hurt that I've skied for 20+ years, most of which has been with a my husband and his buddies. You don't make them wait at the chair lift. Necessity is the mother of invention. I got comfy with speed because I didn't want to take the grief of making DaBoyz wait!

comprex, Sad to say, that was the end of march 07. I got lazy. Can you tell?
Are you coming to Stowe this year? I really hope to see you! Maybe you'll even be good enough to be in my group again Wink
snow conditions
SnowHot wrote:

comprex, Sad to say, that was the end of march 07. I got lazy.

See, I don't really believe that. I do believe that you were fatigued and therefore you were using your muscles in the range in which they trained the most, which would correspond to the MTB geometry with the weight on the back wheel, as above.

Have you been on a BOSU in those boots?

Mosha Marc, heh. I was trying to figure out whether the boot puts her on the arch or on the ball of the foot. Couldn't quite tell. It could be related to the gaze-dropping if the torso is tilted forward.

PS SnowHot, how's the whole inline thing? :-D
latest report
Mosha Marc, One thing I have noticed is that its not as easy to keep forward on the Karmas.

comprex, once again, You Rock! I have not gotten on the bosu in my boots, I should!!!
And you were right that it was a long day on the hill at that point.
Did I mention that I'm Soooooooooooo ready for ski season?
snow report
Megamum, I think you would be FUN to ski with! Something tells me you're going to be turning your "OH, Sh!z!" into "Whoo Hooo" in no time!!
snow conditions
comprex wrote:
I do believe that you were fatigued and therefore you were using your muscles in the range in which they trained the most, which would correspond to the MTB geometry with the weight on the back wheel, as above.

I've just had an "ah ha" moment; the perfect excuse the next time an instructor (or whatever they're called) bawls at me! Very Happy
ski holidays
I get this "eureka" moment during Salsa dancing. If something hasn't worked during lessons in my head, then during the club dancing time or sometime going over it in my head I work it out and then - AHA!

Yes, it happens during skiing too Smile
snow report
My ah ha moment was getting on my first pair of reasonably fat skis. I've skied skinnies since and found they are just not as versatile (& I know its cheating wink)
ski holidays
My Ah Ha moment was realising that downhill skis with stiff shovels backslide on tour without insane heel lifts, so the whole adjustable-flex-arm thing might have a future after all.
snow report
laundryman wrote:
comprex wrote:
I do believe that you were fatigued and therefore you were using your muscles in the range in which they trained the most, which would correspond to the MTB geometry with the weight on the back wheel, as above.

I've just had an "ah ha" moment; the perfect excuse the next time an instructor (or whatever they're called) bawls at me! Very Happy

This made me smile! One of the things that I really struggled with During and after ESA last year was letting go of "muscling" through my movements. I am quite fit and strong, which has lead me to strong ski movements. The ESA coach encouraged me to use finness, and save my energy. It really was brilliant and helped me a lot.
The problem is, I get lazy and slip back into muscling every once in a while.

Comrex was a witness to my "technique" (term used loosely)
snow conditions
Snowshark wrote:
Don't ski any faster than you feel comfortable with simply to appease your friends.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!! Can I print that off and take it with me! I am constantly getting told "It's easier if you go faster" but all I can see the extra speed as, is a magnifier of the impact of the inevitable fall that will result!!

I want to develop confidence/technique at a speed where I feel totally in control, then gradually push the boundaries, not take massive leaps into the unknown and see what happens. I want to have runs like one or two I had in a lesson at the Snowdome where I felt things were actually coming together properly, and then be able to work out what I did, so I can do it most of the time, not just now and then! Yes I know a bit more speed or 'attack' might get me there sooner, but enjoying my skiing whilst remaining in one piece is my prime aim! Oh and actually I am getting a bit faster - it IS happening!
snow conditions
NewSkier wrote:
Snowshark wrote:
Don't ski any faster than you feel comfortable with simply to appease your friends.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!! Can I print that off and take it with me! I am constantly getting told "It's easier if you go faster" but all I can see the extra speed as, is a magnifier of the impact of the inevitable fall that will result!!

I want to develop confidence/technique at a speed where I feel totally in control, then gradually push the boundaries, not take massive leaps into the unknown and see what happens. I want to have runs like one or two I had in a lesson at the Snowdome where I felt things were actually coming together properly, and then be able to work out what I did, so I can do it most of the time, not just now and then! Yes I know a bit more speed or 'attack' might get me there sooner, but enjoying my skiing whilst remaining in one piece is my prime aim! Oh and actually I am getting a bit faster - it IS happening!

Speed does make it easier in many ways, but.......here's the big "but", If you're white knuckled, and panicked because you aren't comfy with the speed, its not good.

The more refined your skiing becomes, the more comfy with speed you will get. THEN you'll see how speed is your friend. Until then, be comfortable!
snow report
comprex wrote:

Have you been on a BOSU in those boots?

Are you saying if you stand on a bosu half ball thingy with your boots on you can detect incorrect cant and forward lean adjustment...

sounds like a cool idea, any instructions or things to look out for
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy