Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Profeet boot fitting service - good value?

Poster: A snowHead
My funny shaped feet (protruding instep?) mean I have always had trouble finding comfortable snowboarding boots/bindings. Normally after a few days riding the tops of my feet are in agony. I've been in contact with Profeet in Clapham and they've just replied with this email:

Profeet wrote:
How many days of snow boarding do you do per season?? It sounds as though you have 'bone spurs' on your in-step, these are caused by pressure and friction commonly in snowboard boots or ski boots and occasionally in work or other recreational shoes. This is a calcium build up that feels like bone.

To reduce pressure on this area requires the foot to first be stabilised in the best position in the boot through moulding a high definition insole and supporting it in a balanced, neutral position for the body in it's snowboard stance to fit in the boot. Secondly the boot liner and shell can be adapted; this requires addition and/or removal of materials. Thirdly distribution of pressure can be reviewed from adapting lacing configurations and binding strap interface with the boot and instep area.

This sort of work would include an analysis into your bio mechanics to understand what aspect of foot function has promoted the spur, plus muscular balances, tightness and weakness relative to your snowboarding and you would be offered advice on stretching and strengthening to offer improvement.

An appointment would be one-on-one and cost £119, a comfort guarantee, relative to the boot and binding suitability would also be offered.

£119 - is it worth doing? Anywhere else near Brighton which might offer a similar service?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
PS the boots are Nitros, bindings are Flows.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I used them for alpine boots and have been very happy, not cheap but have gone back for tweaks and never a quibble. ask for Jimmy.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
hd, I'd be a bit cautious of someone who would diagnose a bone spur without first looking at your feet. Puzzled
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I too have wondered about Profeet now that my lovely ancient Nordicas (over 10 years old) have finally given out Sad

I would be interested in comments from other snowheads who have gone to them for ski boots.

ickabodblue: they do say "sounds like" rather than make any firm diagnosis.
And they do go on to say "This sort of work would include an analysis into your bio mechanics to understand what aspect of foot function has promoted the spur, plus muscular balances, tightness and weakness relative to your snowboarding and you would be offered advice on stretching and strengthening to offer improvement."
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
hd, Are they gonna be charging you just for the assessment? So that cost is before any purchases? And what's a 'high definition insole'? Can you describe in more detail the problems you're experiencing?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Jonpim, Don't know anything about how skiing or boarding affect your feet so I'm no expert. But in a normal case scenario the instep would be an unusual location for a troublesome spur. Spurs in the feet are usually found at the base of the heel bone. In saying that it is not impossible, it's just not the first thing I would think of.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ickabodblue, i have spurs on both heels and a big one on my outside ankle due to ill fitting boots...(after going to profeet no problems whatsoever....

I think as long as you go to a good bootfitter that has an understanding of feet and a good selection of boots to choose from, (CEM, Smallzookeeper, profeet) you will be okay, choice IMO is largely based on location as you may need to go back for tweaks....
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
skimottaret, I stand corrected! Having dug out a few dusty old tomes it seems approx 19% of the adult population have an accessory navicular bone - ie an extra bit of bone in the instep. Embarassed
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
ickabodblue wrote:
hd, I'd be a bit cautious of someone who would diagnose a bone spur without first looking at your feet. Puzzled

Having done some Googling I'm now fairly certain I have saddle bone deformities or more specifically metatarsal cuneiform exostosis. A bit like this but bigger:

Now wondering if a surgical treatment is possible/worthwhile... Confused
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
hd, Nope, leave it, protect it, enough done.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
oooooooh that looks like my feet - both of them. i always thought i just had a knobbly bit. can be bloody uncomfortable when you crank the boots down for the last of the day/week blast. Laughing
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
hd, I would make sure I had exhausted every other possibility before I would consider surgery. The right padding to redistribute pressure would help.
I misunderstood your first post and thought you had a bone spur on the inside of your arch, sorry. Confused
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ickabodblue, agree surgery should be a last resort, however the lumpy feet are not just a problem for my snowboarding. I'm also a keen windsurfer (50+ sessions per year) and the protrusions rub on the board's footstraps. Currently I have a big and very painful scab on top of my left foot where the footstrap rubbed away the skin Sad and I'm not sure if any sort of padding can help there.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
hd, I'm a big fan of Flow bindings but I do wonder if you'd be better off with straps (especially the "toe cap" sort) so that there was no pressure on that bone? If that's where it is on your foot, anway....
ski holidays
hd, An injection tounge on your liner might be a solution.
snow report
1 stabilize the foot with a footbed
2 possibly cut hole in tongue or replace tongue with foam one as SMALLZOOKEEPER suggested
3 put a piece of foam on the inside of the flow binding which sits either side of the problem, then when you crank the binding down there is no direct presure on the single point
latest report
hd: I bought boots from Profeet last winter. As well as spending time analysing my foot and doing adjustments to the boots they also gave me muscle stretching exercises to help make the boots more comfortable. My opinion is that for someone who's had problems with ski boots the service from Profeet is worth it, but if you've got the kind of feet that fit easily into a ski boot then they're expensive. (The boots I bought were comfortable and worked well during the winter)
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy