Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

how to get a good hol for kids AND adults

Poster: A snowHead
i know life is full of compromises , especially when you have kids, but we are struggling to find a ski solution for this season that ticks all the boxes. Our youngest son is easy - he will one and a half and so we just need to find a decent creche. Our older son will be 4 yrs and 10 months. this presents some problems as in some resorts they insist on then being 5 for ski lessons. we went with esprit last year (we got a really good late deal to montchavin) but the prices are horrendous. dont really want to go back to montchavin as it is too low - only for the grace of god last year was there enough snow. infact we had whiteouts for a lot of the time so was not the best skiing.

Our eldest did the "spritelets" classs last year and loved it. he made good progress and the instructor told me he was ready to step up a level next time we came on holiday. we also have heard bad stories about ESF and prefer evolution.the problem is that evo only do montchavin, la rosiere and val in the esprit portfolio. cant got to val as they insist on kids being 5. so that leaves la rosiere - i have never been but that is for a reason...i perceive it is very small for the grown up skiers and not that challenging. i also read the link over to italy is often closed

so...anyone agree / disagree about la rosiere and anyone got any suggestions. I looked at crystal but the stupidity of the operators when you phone frustrates me. esprit staff are always knowledgeable and friendly, kids care was great BUT and its a big but , the chalet was lack lustre, the food was OK but not what i would have expected for the price and the prices are always high - they have cornered the market by ensuring their childcare is superb but at teh expense of giving the adults a good quality holiday !!!

i look forward to your thoughts !!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm sure frostythesnowman will be along soon wink
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
backhojo, What are your requirements for the "Grown up skiers" and how challenging do you like your skiing?.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
we like to have long ski days and lots of piste mileage to cover. we have skied out the 3 valleys and paradiski having been there many times. we are both competent (but not expert)skiers and are happy with all kinds of runs although we get a bit knackered on moguls. get bored with motorway cruisers all day but need some of these to let the legs rest. favourite resorts have to be colorado ones - did vail,breck,beaver, a-basin, loveland, winter park and keystone all in one holiday (before the kids) so you can see we thrive on variety and hate repeating the same pistes all holiday.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've posted this a few times, I have *NOTHING* to do with this company, apart from the fact I've used them for the past 3 years. Would seem to tick all the boxes, we have been with a few 4 years olds last year and we took them into private lessons which worked very well.

http://www.familyfriendlyskiing.com/

Plenty of skiing for adults, and we've used the nannies for post skiing care. They've also been happy to meet us in 1850 for lunch with kids etc.

regards,

Greg
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
looks good - apart from the location ...i can ski the 3 valleys without a piste map most of the time so we fancied a change...however, as i said its about compromise so if it ticks all the other boxes (when i have had time to digest all the info) then it might be an option. many thanks for the info.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
backhojo, It sounds like you like to tick off the pistes as you do them. I suspect that La Rosiere may not be for you. Why not increase your sons age by 2 months? If he has skied before, and is well developed for his age then it might work and you can go to Val Wherever. Easter will see us visit La Rosiere for the 4th year on the trot. The kids can now ski all day every day and The Boss skis further than me. We like Paradiski, we like 3 valleys, but were all keen to go back to La Rosiere as were the 20 others we are going with. Yes the link gets closed, the clue is to go when it is open (which is far more often than not) ys there can be wind, yes there are some slow lifts, yes La Rosiere is South Facing, yes some of the La Rosiere slopes are very "samey", but there must be some reason for La Rosiere being Esprits most popular destination, and yes Esprit do look after kids well but dont do other things as well as some.

Perhaps consider some lessons yourself, ESF and Evo2 are both excellent in La Rosiere.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Mon 1-10-07 17:13; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Have you tried off piste? there's plenty of good stuff there, we hired a guide for 1 1/2 days last year and found stuff "just around the corner" which we never knew existed!!

Have your kids skiied Indians?

Recognise any of these areas???

http://gregh.co.uk/albums/latania07/

Cheers,

Greg
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
backhojo, we went with Esprit last 2 years and would agree on the food and accommodation front. Last year did Tignes and Esprit used Evolution there if it's any help. We've booked to go back again (Terril Blanc) and have no reason to doubt that will still be using Evolution.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
think val/tigens is on the cards for 2009. i asked the esprit staff what would happen if i was to "elevate" my sons age by 2 months and they said that it is likely passports will get checked in resort by resort staff due to Evo being very strict with the 5yr min age. i think it is too risky to try it on as it may cause issues at teh airport as well (kids aga stated on ticket does nto match passport) - unlikely but not impossible and i dont want the stress of explaining to my kids why we cant go !!

kitenski - kids have not done indians on account of one being only 1 and the other only went on skis for the first time last year !!! (read my orignal posting !!!! LOL)

frosty - you should get a job with the tourist board in la rossiere as you paint such a nice picture !!! NOT ! LOL - its windy, its sunny (hence slush), the lifts are crap, the link gets closed..."come to la rossiere its a great place" !!! Laughing
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Is Mark Warner within budget? I think they are ok with 4 year olds.................
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

i know life is full of compromises , especially when you have kids

I know how much we all love skiing and understand its tricky when the little ones are little but can't understand why they are sometimes left in childcare all day and sometimes apres too on a 'family' holiday ~ no matter how good the childcare. It won't be long before they are looking for challenging, varied terrain themselves and they will be setting the pace so it pays off to put them first when tiny!
FWIW http://www.skifamille.co.uk/ have an excellent reputation although may not suit your skiing needs? Hope you find all the ticks Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Lou, Exactly - before we know it they'll be too embarassed to ski with the old farts. Time just goes too fast ......am I getting old? Shocked
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ickabodblue, Just realised how soppy I sound. When my youngest was two we didn't take him with us at all, we left him with gran! He prefers her anyhow. Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
backhojo wrote:
- did vail,breck,beaver, a-basin, loveland, winter park and keystone all in one holiday (before the kids) so you can see we thrive on variety and hate repeating the same pistes all holiday.

how long was the holiday - I could ski back bowls at Vail alone for ages...
latest report
backhojo, do you have to use an operator, or would you consider a DIY holiday?

Our group have been to Les Arc 1950 and Vallandrey in the last couple of years. They both have the whole Les Arc area to ski in, but Vallandrey is closer to the lift over to La Plagne if you really felt you wanted to max out on pistes.

The Spirit 1950 and New Generation schools cover the two resorts respectively and take young children.

Both trip worked well for very large age and ability spreads.
ski holidays
New Generation don't run kids lessons outside of school holidays though - so you would have to pay for private lessons.

Darentasia im Vallandry take kids from 6 officially but will take them from 5 if you ask nicely!
ski holidays
backhojo wrote:
i know life is full of compromises , especially when you have kids, but we are struggling to find a ski solution for this season that ticks all the boxes. Our youngest son is easy - he will one and a half and so we just need to find a decent creche. Our older son will be 4 yrs and 10 months. this presents some problems as in some resorts they insist on then being 5 for ski lessons. we went with esprit last year (we got a really good late deal to montchavin) but the prices are horrendous. dont really want to go back to montchavin as it is too low - only for the grace of god last year was there enough snow. infact we had whiteouts for a lot of the time so was not the best skiing.

Our eldest did the "spritelets" classs last year and loved it. he made good progress and the instructor told me he was ready to step up a level next time we came on holiday. we also have heard bad stories about ESF and prefer evolution.the problem is that evo only do montchavin, la rosiere and val in the esprit portfolio. cant got to val as they insist on kids being 5. so that leaves la rosiere - i have never been but that is for a reason...i perceive it is very small for the grown up skiers and not that challenging. i also read the link over to italy is often closed

so...anyone agree / disagree about la rosiere and anyone got any suggestions. I looked at crystal but the stupidity of the operators when you phone frustrates me. esprit staff are always knowledgeable and friendly, kids care was great BUT and its a big but , the chalet was lack lustre, the food was OK but not what i would have expected for the price and the prices are always high - they have cornered the market by ensuring their childcare is superb but at teh expense of giving the adults a good quality holiday !!!

i look forward to your thoughts !!

Every year we run a special creche week at our chalet hotel in the Italian Dolomites. This year it's week of 29th March. It basically gives a full time creche in house which looks after the younger kids and babies, takes the older ones to ski school in the morning, picks them up lunch time, takes them for lunch (parents sometimes meet up, sometimes not) and there's always someone available to take the older ones skiing after ski school finishes if they want to - or do other stuff (snowman building etc.). It basically caters for all ages and presents full time child care. It's ski in ski out so parents can pop in any time they want if passing. And the Dolomites is such a massive area there's plenty of oportunity for adults to go on full day excusions and not worry about the kids.

It's unbeatable cost childcare wise! I went along last year and my son was 5 months old and it was fantastic!

Hotel details www.mountainsunltd.com
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy