Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Definitive Ski Instruction Book

Poster: A snowHead
19 years ago I fell in love with the sport of golf and devoured any golf instruction manual I could get my hands on to self-teach myself. In that time, I have managed to improve slightly but am still only a very average golfer. In the last couple of years, I came across a book called 'Swing Machine Golf' and it was a revelation. It provided simple but logical techniques and easy to follow descriptions of the fundamentals of the golf. It was the first book to explain in detail how to grip a golf club correctly. It had lots of photographs and drills to help you groove the techniques the book was trying to explain and also detailed the mechanics of what you were trying to do. In summary, it was the golf book I wish I had read when I started playing golf all those years ago and has made anything else I have read look like a total waste of effort. In the last two seasons my handicap has actually improved and it is pretty much down to this book.

Now I have fallen in love with the sport of skiing and am involved in a long and messy divorce from golf, what I am looking for the is skiing equivalent of 'Swing Machine Golf'. I would like suggestions for the Ski Instruction book that fellow snowHeads had wished they knew about or read when they first started skiing - the ski tome that helped to develop a strong foundation in the fundamentals of ski technique (I don't want any bad habits) and really advanced your skiing. Basically, I'm looking for the book that blows all other ski books out of the water. Any ideas?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
thewahwah, the opinion of some snowHeads is that it is the book which FastMan hasn't yet written. Toofy Grin
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
thewahwah, I think this is very subjective because people will have differences in their learning styles, so you might not find that other people's No. 1 book does it for you. But having said that, my favourite is Ron Le Master's "The Skier's Edge". This is his website. It's not a 'learn to ski from scratch' book, but it does give an exceptionally clear description of ski technique, often using photographs of racers as exemplars.

Also DVDs by Phil Smith and Warren Smith seem well regarded.

But there's nothing that beats instruction by a good teacher...
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hurtle wrote:
thewahwah, the opinion of some snowHeads is that it is the book which FastMan hasn't yet written. Toofy Grin

Now you are getting into the rhythm Very Happy

I do have to agree with rob@rar that the skiers edge is good... although I do not own it I did "borrow" it for a week from a girl that got it in a course and was not interested... so I read it for her!

The APSI used the skiers edge as a text book at least until a couple of years back...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rob@rar wrote:

But there's nothing that beats instruction by a good teacher...

Yep - I'd be saying to find a couple of really good instructors and take the lessons.... Practising bad techniques will only cement them into your movement repertoire making them hard to change.... do the work now and start with good basics and your skiing will reward you in years to come... Then work on those basics and really nail them...

Do note though that this is not the "fast road" to "ripping up runs".... cementing good technique comes from working on easy terrain - not that you have to do this all the time... but you do need to put in the work regularly...
However you will not stall out nor will you become a one-dimensional skier that relies on a single turn type and cannot adjust to changes in equipment etc... over time you will find you are more adaptable....
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Absolutely, I will be taking lessons. I'm off to Canada for a month from the end of November and I wanted to get a headstart on the lessons by studying beforehand so that hopefully it will reinforce what the instructor is trying to teach. It's kind of weird that with skiing, I wouldn't dream of not taking lessons but with golf I am largely self-taught Puzzled.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
thewahwah wrote:
It's kind of weird that with skiing, I wouldn't dream of not taking lessons but with golf I am largely self-taught Puzzled.

Making a big mistake with golf though is not that lilkely to result in you crashing into a tree headfirst at high speed, unless someone has messed with the brakes on your buggy.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
For self teaching and learning to self evaluate I can highly recommend Harald Harbs, Essentials of Skiing.
Here's a pdf link of the introduction to the book.
http://www.harbskisystems.com/hhsite/ch00lo.pdf
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Shocked Do NOT drink Koolaid.... you will end up waiting for the spaceship Wink
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
jimmjimm, worship him!

Worship at the alter of Harbinationness!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rob@rar wrote:
But having said that, my favourite is Ron Le Master's "The Skier's Edge". This is his website. It's not a 'learn to ski from scratch' book, but it does give an exceptionally clear description of ski technique, often using photographs of racers as exemplars.

Yup, I'd re-enforce the warning, this is *not* a "How to Ski" book, it's a "How Skiing Works" book.

And yes, despite all the Kool-Aid hype, Harald Harb's "Essentials of Skiing" *is* a very good book.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
thewahwah, i like Sally chapmans all mountain pock'it instructor for simple clear tips or the all-mountain skier by r. mark elling which is more technical and has good sections on equipment

if you are going to canada you could always order a copy of the canadian instructors manual, very good and has a nice dvd as well https://www.snowpro.com/store/e/

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Mon 1-10-07 17:31; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
veeeight, yes but skiing with his disciples does make one wonder.....
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
thewahwah wrote:
Basically, I'm looking for the book that blows all other ski books out of the water. Any ideas?

It used to be 'We Learnt To Ski' published by the Sunday Times.

This covered everything to do with skiing, but it is from a different era and has not been updated. You may still find copies in public libraries.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Mon 1-10-07 21:21; edited 1 time in total
latest report
"This album requires a password for access!"

Although from the looks of the outfit on the cover that's probably no bad thing. Toofy Grin

edit by Yoda - ah sorry, put it in the wrong place Embarassed should be OK now wink
ski holidays
Latchigo, or in my parents' upstairs bathroom.

"We learned to ski" is still astonishishingly relevant. Even though it was published in 1970-ish. Many of their observations/criticisms have only been satisfied by the shaped ski evolution.

It may have helped that a consulting editor was the sage Ali Ross.

The near final chapter on "Crafty Skiing" should be updated (although it is still remarkably good) and made compulsory reading for an aspirant skier.

A fantastic book.
ski holidays
skimottaret, how come it looks as though I can purchase a cscf spyder national suit - despite not even being a member???
snow report
David Murdoch, True. There was lots of practical advice about how to pick a resort etc.

I had forgotten about Ali Ross. He also used to have some great books out . No videos even in those days. I believe his ski school is still running though you never hear much about him now.
ski holidays
Latchigo wrote:
David Murdoch, True. There was lots of practical advice about how to pick a resort etc.

I had forgotten about Ali Ross. He also used to have some great books out . No videos even in those days. I believe his ski school is still running though you never hear much about him now.

Ali still runs his courses in Tignes throughout the winter.

All snowHead who say the old timers aren't worth skiing with should have a session with Ali. He will still ski the legs off most people and is greatly respected by the ESF guys Blush
snow conditions
little tiger, with the number of lessons you have had perhaps they made you an honourary member wink Toofy Grin
snow report
stewart woodward, who says old timers aren't worth skiing with?
snow conditions
Latchigo, yes there was at least 1 video. This clip http://www.snowmediazone.com/the_zone/showphoto.php/photo/17 is taken from "How we learned to ski" (you need to be logged in to the mediaZone to see).

I have had the pleasure of skiing several weeks with Ali. Great guy.

Nothing changes wink
snow conditions
skimottaret, Laughing
ski holidays
David Murdoch wrote:

Well it was not me... one of my aims is to ski like Frank at Franks age

Quote:
Episode 5: Sasha Nekvapil and Frank PrihodaIn 1948, while Sasha was skiing with the Czech national team in Switzerland, she received a coded phone call from her brother Frank. With Sasha's husband Karel, Frank escaped over the Czech border into Austria. Sasha did not leave Switzerland with the rest of the ski team. Reunited in Austria, the three decided to migrate to Australia.

Frank is now 86 or 7 and still racing masters last time I checked... I believe Sasha unfortunately was taken out by an out of control slider and can no longer ski... but did for many many years...

For any interested the T-bars at Thredbo Anton's and Sponar's are named for Charles Anton and Tony Sponar and karel's T-bar for sasha's husband... Sasha's schuss is named for sasha... these folks were founders of the australian ski industry...
snow conditions
thewahwah, I know what you mean about golf books... "Golf My Way" by Jack Nicklaus was my fave and some of the wisdom still follows me around the course.

If I had to pick a few ski instruction books I'd recommend (in no particular order and, despite being partly dated now, all way ahead of their time at the time)...

Skilful Skiing - John Shedden
Ali Ross on Skiing - Ali Ross
The Athletic Skier - Warren Witherall & David Evrard
The Inner Game of Skiing - Timothy Gallwey & Bob Kriegel
Skiing Is Only A Game - Peter Lightfoot

All of these had one thing in common, skiing seen as a natural, fluid sport, not a set of instructions.

If we're talking about "We Learned To Ski" (Harold Evans?), also worth mentioning Le Ski by Jean Claude Killy. Funny now but cutting edge at the time.
snow conditions
David Murdoch wrote:

Quiet a few comments on other threads about 'older' instructors.

Experience counts for a lot in many aspects of life Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Thanks for all the suggestions Smile.

Bode Swiller wrote:
All of these had one thing in common, skiing seen as a natural, fluid sport, not a set of instructions.

That's the kind of thing I'm looking for; it is definitely what 'Swing Machine Golf' has brought to my game. Although, I still feel I need the fundamentals to get from a stage of conscious incompetence to unconscious competence with my skiing.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
thewahwah, where are you heading in Canada.. ? If it is anywhere near Silver Star I would be happy to help you achieve your skiing goals. ... I like your user name.. I miss my CryBaby Wah Wah pedal and the time I used to have to twiddel away on my geetar...
ski holidays
mrtoastie, saw your post about Silver Star and it made me look. Thanks for the offer. I'll be in Banff, so it's close but not close enough I'm afraid. Username comes from a misheard pronunciation of my surname that has kinda stuck. Musically, though, I like the connection with that particular effects pedal so it's all good. How's the best capital city in Europe (Edinburgh, for the uneducated) these days?
snow conditions
thewahwah, we are currently basking in sunshine in Edinburgh.. ! The best weather of the year so far.. summer has finally arrived! Woo Hoo..!! just in time for winter - I hope that doen`t mean a dry winter in teh highlands - Sad
latest report
http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/007140841X/ref=sib_dp_pt/105-4937510-4879658?tag=amz07b-21#reader-link

The All Mountain Skier - Mark Elling is very good
ski holidays
I'm glad some people have recommended 'The All Mountain Skier' as I ordered that one from Amazon before I made this post. Phew. I liked the look of it - here's hoping it does the trick.

Bode Swiller, I already have a copy of 'The Inner Game of Skiing' and agree with most of what I have read in it in-so-far-as I can see where it applies in my golfing. However, I got the impression whilst reading it that it was of more relevance to someone who had a number of weeks/years skiing experience because it assumed that the reader had a reasonable grasp of fundamental skiing technique.

Harb's 'Essentials of Skiing' is next on the shortlist, once I have devoured 'The All Mountain Skier'.

Only 48 days until Canada snowHead.
snow report
Presumably you are aware of the "discussion" surrounding Harb wink
snow conditions
Yoda wrote:

Hmmm, not really. I take it there are two camps - one that thinks he's the bee's another that thinks he talks utter cr@p? Please enlighten me.
ski holidays
well you've just about stated it in a nutshell Toofy Grin A quick Google or a trawl through Epic will bring you lots of stuff. How about this thread (just grabbed at random from Google) as a taster http://forums.ski.com.au/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=159576&page=1 Toofy Grin
ski holidays
thewahwah wrote:
Yoda wrote:

Hmmm, not really. I take it there are two camps - one that thinks he's the bee's another that thinks he talks utter cr@p? Please enlighten me.

there is also another camp that thinks that much of what he teaches is reasonable... but dislike the "only I can teach you this" .... "I am the only one understands this" type of marketing spiel he spins with the technical stuff...

Also such rather silly things as renaming common garden skiing terminology to make it sound different... this then ensures that his students find it extremely difficult to ski with instructors from other teaching/coaching streams...

Oh and he is personally responsible for ex-students of his winning competitions in other sports areas...

and then there is the attitude of his "disciples" .... ask Fastman about the day the two of us skied with one of these guys... rolling eyes
latest report
little tiger wrote:
Also such rather silly things as renaming common garden skiing terminology to make it sound different... this then ensures that his students find it extremely difficult to ski with instructors from other teaching/coaching streams...

Perhaps I shall leave his writings well alone until I have completed my stint in Canada and have a better understanding of what I'm trying to do on a ski slope. I don't want to spoil my lessons before I even get there.
snow report
thewahwah, yeah - his stuff is good... just he uses words differently and it can be confusing to mix them until you know more.... So you can stick with him and his ways... or just be prepared to ask a lot of questions to translate the terminology....
ski holidays
I'm still using the advice from the fantastic 80's attired Martin Heckelman Ski Tips VHS videos. In Ski Tips 5 he explains about the NEW shaped skis!!! Apparently Ski Tips are now available on DVD!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy