Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski fashion advice

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All

I need some help!!

Im about to bite the bulliet and go on my first ski trip somewhere in europe and got a few questions regarding clothing and equipment. Any help would be great!!!

Im dont really worry to much about how I look etc but I have quickly released I have no idea what looks good when it comes to ski clothing. I have been to places like snow and rock and I have poped into TK Max who have just started to stock there cheap ski clothes.

Is the stuff at TK Max ok to buy or is it best avoided ?? What sort of colours do people go for with there ski stuff. I have seen everything from bright red and blue, white, black, combats..... I dont want to stand out like a lady's front bottom nither do I want to look out of place NehNeh

Any advice on features to look at on a jacket / pants....

Cheers for any help!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
oafc0000, go onto Ebay, and anything along the lines of the following should suffice (you can click for a bigger pic)

snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Charlatanefc wrote:
oafc0000, go onto Ebay, and anything along the lines of the following should suffice (you can click for a bigger pic)

ha ha ha nice Razz
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
oafc0000, Charlatanefc's post cleverly shows you the importance of avoiding fashion. All those outfits were fashionable at some time.
Forget fashion and go for practical - as I think your post suggests you were going anyway.
The S&R brochure is a good place to start.
With any luck you will find a friendly helpful assistant in the shop who will give you useful honest advice.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
oafc0000, Charlatanefc knows nothing. Most sHs wear Prada. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
oafc0000, we had our first 2 ski trips in Jan & April of this year and like yourself had little idea of what to wear. We purchased most of our gear on ebay and a few bits from TK Maxx. Everything looked good and more importantly did its job. What time of year are you going? We found we needed a few thin laters and a good ski jacket for Kopaonik in January but in April at Les 2 Alpes we skied in t-shirts or wind-stopper type tops.
Smile
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
oafc0000, TKMaxx usually have some decent Columbia gear pretty cheap, can't go far wrong with their stuff IMO. Also, some of the high end Dare2Be and Trespass Radium stuff is good gear without paying a fortune (you may decide you never want to go again, but unlikely Wink). If looking at this stuff, you want the 8000mm or higher Waterproof stuff.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
dont go below 10000mm for both waterproof and breathability
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Go for basic colours. Don't pick anything pastel Very Happy
Can't go far wrong with black red or brown stuff, but its really the quality that you want to look for.
Decent gloves are worth investing in though.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I was in TK max today and they had some good stuff... I don't need anything new now Evil or Very Mad (new teeth £500 new tires £300 both this week Evil or Very Mad )
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
There is nothing wrong with orange coloured gear, and TK maxx is well worth a look in any event!!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If you can get Columbia at a price you can afford, it is good mid-rangey stuff.
Black pants are good as they go with EVERYTHING pretty much. A staright Blue or Red top is a dull or uninspiring as dish water but at least it will will look ok for many seasons as opposed to the racey greens and oranges there now.

Another brand that has appeal and should be at reasonable prices is HH. You have pretty well missed a lot of summer sales but good gear will last so it is not always about price. It is how much life you get out of it.

Lots of people go with shells..just an outer weather-proof skin..and then use layers to regulate heat as opposed to insulated garments, in pants and tops.

You might look at e-bay or the Buy sell threads here as well.... wink
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
JT, I learned yesterday that www.skiwear4less.com have bought up all of Coumbia's unsold stock from last season and they'll be banging it out cheap online or via their roadshows.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
TK Maxx is fine. Echo above comments and buy good gortex gloves.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Me and the Mrs went to TK Max today and picked up some stuff

I got a Ski Jacket, £80, had the 10,000 waterproof rating and looks alright I thought. Better than the bright red and blue jackets they had. I think its probably aimed at more of a snowboarder but probably dosent make a difference does it ?? The on in the pic is brown and mine is more of a lighter browny/greeny colour, decirbed as earth, looks good though we though. Is it ok ? I coudl always take it back! It had the glove bits built into the arms, lots of pockets etc....

http://www.planet-sports.com/popup_image.php?pID=12377&language=en

http://www.planet-sports.com/en/category7_47/product12377/product_info.html?cic=GB

The girly got a HH jacket white with bits of orange on it and white HH ski pants....she looked alrigight in it.....

Just need the gloves and some pants for me and were good to go...Smile
latest report
oafc0000, Looks fine - lots of pockets for stuffing bits and bobs into, plain enough to blend in - you will probably find that most folks won't remember what you were wearing anyway - now don't forget you need a pair of orange salopettes to go with it wink
ski holidays
Megamum wrote:
oafc0000, Looks fine - lots of pockets for stuffing bits and bobs into, plain enough to blend in - you will probably find that most folks won't remember what you were wearing anyway - now don't forget you need a pair of orange salopettes to go with it wink

Nice....think im going to get some black ones instead though Very Happy
snow report
As above as regards the clothes, and TK Max. One thing that it is worth spending a few extra quid on is gloves. I bought a cheapish pair for my first trip, and the lining fell apart within the week. Bit of a false economy....
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy