Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lots of Mice and late appearance of wasps.....

Poster: A snowHead
With a friend of ours having caught 25+ mice in the last couple of weeks and other friends either getting a cat or buying the hardware store out of traps there is definetly a 'rodent problem' in the Morzine valley!

Last week we had wasps everywhere - not usual for October!

But apparently according to Morzine locals this is the sign of a harsh winter with lots of snow!! We shall just have to wait and see.

Any others of you in the Alps have any other local snippets?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
my house is full of mice at the moment, caught 5 so far.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
So I'm not the only one. Confused The mice come out in the evening and watch TV with me, a bit of a problem though, they are eating my underwear. I hope they haven't got designs on my new ski socks or nesting in my boots. I've just started the hunt today, lots of traps and repellent devices. The thing I find most disconcerting is they keep following we about and they can climb the stairs quicker than me and at the same time. Shocked
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cats are having a feast this week. Several half-eaten carcasses around the place, and in the garden.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
snowandtrek wrote:
But apparently according to Morzine locals this is the sign of a harsh winter with lots of snow!! We shall just have to wait and see.

snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Headplant wrote:

The mice come out in the evening and watch TV with me, a bit of a problem though, they are eating my underwear.

Either they're really daring mice or you must sit really really still when you watch TV. Doesn't it tickle?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Headplant wrote:
I've just started the hunt today, lots of traps and repellent devices.

chocolate is my secret weapon for the traps

p3wnd

I'm rick james bitch Smile
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
stab, I have the Kit Kat ready for tonight. I've never had this problem before so I thought it was quite sweet to start with until they started eating holes in my socks and the waist band of my underpants. Shock The last straw came when they started using the cutlery draw as a toilet Mad , they have also started eating the rubber handles off my can opener. I thought I was safe upstairs until they started racing me to the top rolling eyes now I can't sleep it's apparent that they can climb almost anywhere and I don't want to share a bed with them. Skullie Lets hope that it means a good snow year here as well as the Alps. snowHead
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
There's certainly a lod of them this autumn. Cats had another two today. None currently alive in the house as far as I can tell.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
stab, ah bless, poor little thing.....big mouse though! Hope Darky doesn't come across this thread! Madeye-Smiley

My cats haven't brought in any yet, thankfully! Although they're normally little itsy bitsy ones round here Very Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Stabs range of mouse body jewellery required some working on.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We are about the only occupants of our Alpine retreat at the moment, and there are a number of poor little stray cats around. I'm very tempted to feed them, but it would be daft, so I'm not. But I'm hoping they're hungry enough to see off any mice. There isn't any evidence of them indoors, though we have had them in the cave in the past. Still some sleepy crickets about; when do they pop their clogs for the winter?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We have a lot of mice at the moment -I thought it was because we no longer had any cats Confused
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stab, Yep - chocolate is definatley the winner for bait. haven't had mice for a few years now but when we did 2 or 3 nights of chocolate in the traps did the trick.

Headplant, mice use EVERYTHING as a toilet - they pee on the move.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
peanut butter works well
snow conditions
Another local forecast today apparently if a certain flower (sorry can't rememebr the exact one) is taller than usual then this leads to a cold and snowy winter. This autumn they are particularily tall and abundant and so another good sign???????
snow report
stab, you barsteward, apart from risk of Salmonella, tapeworms , rat-bite fever, infectious jaundice/leptospirosis/Weil’s Disease , fungus disease (Favus) plague and murine typhus, Rickettsial pox lymphocytic choriomeningitis and possibly poliomyelitis (polio), whatever had that poor mouse done to you? wink
ski holidays
stab, this is how I catch mice. Lager is much better than chocolate!
BTW it is a genuine photo.
latest report
We don't currently have mice at my dad's house, but have had a lot of very large spiders. rolling eyes Personally I prefer the mice! chris, aaawwww.
latest report
chris,

He's a beauty
snow report
stab, here is an int'restin fact:

Given ordinary rat food, a rat in a Skinner box (ie a cage featuring a lever which the rat can press in order to receive food) will feed itself a healthy amount of food and will not overeat. However, if you supply the rat with chocolate, it will eat and eat until it is nearly sick.

My, how useful a psychology degree is.
snow conditions
chris wrote:
stab, this is how I catch mice. Lager is much better than chocolate!
BTW it is a genuine photo.

the only way that photo could be any cooler is if you used the bottle as an ash tray while the mouse starved to death.

Just watched anthea, she sorted the mice out, and the big bloody rats Shocked
snow report
chris wrote:
stab, you barsteward, apart from risk of Salmonella, tapeworms , rat-bite fever, infectious jaundice/leptospirosis/Weil’s Disease , fungus disease (Favus) plague and murine typhus, Rickettsial pox lymphocytic choriomeningitis and possibly poliomyelitis (polio), whatever had that poor mouse done to you? wink

it was a swiss one.
snow conditions
Not just me then - Central London - and I spotted one last week in the fireplace and caught one (in trap) under the stairs...Crunchy Peanut butter the little blighters love it..
ski holidays
[b]cfc5mu0 wrote:

Crunchy Peanut butter the little blighters love it..

Yes, I heard that one on the radio one morning. Apparently they go mad for the stuff.
snow conditions
We had mice here. I bought one of the "electronic" devices which send a pulse through the mains cables. So far, this appears to have kept them at bay. I was very doubtful that it would work, but based on my experience I would recommend it.
snow report
Caught six so far this week. They start coming into the house around about now every year. I'll catch lots for a month or two. The number will then tail wink off through the winter and from spring through summer I'll catch one or two at the most over the whole period. I mainly use unbaited traps, with a flat plastic board as the trigger. I set them up in an area where the mice like to run in a confined space. I also have a few baited traps in my eves space (baited with pumpkin seeds) as thats an area with wiring runs that I don't want the insulation chewed off.

I haven't bought any new traps for years, just remove the body and reset the traps in the same place.
ski holidays
The cats have been leaving us lots of mice on the step this year (another one today when I got in from work) so it must be europe wide !
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I caught one last night. Toofy Grin I'm not too good with dead bodies, this one was stiff, thought it might look good as a key ring. Shocked Well at least my pants will be my own now. Laughing I'm hoping to get his lady friend tonight. Toofy Grin Ooo a matching pair, earrings perhaps. rolling eyes
ski holidays
Our cats have caught nothing much for the last 4 years...and this week we've had two mice on the back steps and we've got a very active wasp nest in our garden compost bin too....snow shovels at the ready in the Hautes Alpes....
ski holidays
The one in the bottle, looks like one of the edible ones. How many do you have????
ski holidays
Last year I had a community of giant house spiders living at chez moi, prior to a warm winter. They became personal friends and were awarded names. This year, nothing, apart from those spindly small ones. I rather miss Sebastian and Sheila.

On that highly technical theory, we should be in for thirty foot snowdrifts and complete transport paralysis in time for Christmas.

Where's Stanton when we need him? I want validation of my theory from his interpretation of the twitching of Bergdolens' beaks and the amount of food hoarded in mountain dwellers' beards, or whatever it was he quoted in predicting a Catastrophic Winter for the Arlberg last year wink
snow report
paulmck, Laughing
latest report
Need more traps......

http://youtube.com/v/2LMxhc8WwGU
latest report
jonesj71, it wouldn't be the 1st time I've eaten rodent. In the early 80's the KFC in West Hampstead Lane ( a regular stop-off point during my despatch riding days) was done for selling rat disguised as chicken. I didn't pass the Pepsi challenge on that one!
In answer to your question... how many do you want?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy