Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

UK HNGB lauch new scheme to counter the UK BASI course!

Poster: A snowHead
elbrus, Sean Langmuir mentioned this to skimottaret and me last week. The L1 Coach is a three-day course which can be done indoors or in resort. The L2 Coach is a four day course and can only be done in a resort. You can do the L1 and L2 as a single week. BASI will be delivering these course from July I think, L1 in Milton Keynes and L1/L2 in Hintertux. Those people who did the 'old' L1 Coach last season will be grandfathered in to the L2 award.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
How have they managed to reduce the days so much?

I did my grade 3 in 2001 - the final part being an 11 day course on snow. I didn't do the first course as I was allowed to proceed onto the final course because I had done my ASSI and had hundreds of hours of teaching behind me.

I'm based in Scotland so obviously see Snowsport Scotland members. As it is, over the last couple of years, where I work, we have been a bit shocked at some of the standards relating to people passing and failing their ASSIs.

Let alone some people's own ski-ing where I've seen some instructors barely able to do short radius parallel turns, the issues a number of us have with class safety and management are quite a concern.

What is happening?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
snowaddict, these courses we are talking about are the new coaching, not instructing levels. The BASI instructing levels still exist, now the coaching strand stands alongside it.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
elbrus wrote:
BASI launch its new coaching scheme:
Level 2 development coach (BASI ISIA requirement)

Purely academic interest (at present), but is that L2 Coach requires the candiate to have completed ISIA, or that L2 will be a required module of the BASI ISIA qualification?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
GrahamN, L2 coach requirement for ISIA.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
GrahamN, PSG is going to visit Eddy and Clive tomorrow to give them some details. This could be a great course for instructors or parents of kids in the race club. Both L1 and L2 are stand alone qualifications. The L1 is very realistic for good level dry slope skiers.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
paulhothersall wrote:
ski, ISIA is not enough, speed test (euro test) is in reality about 160 FIS GS points, no matter what it is supposed to be. L3 coach is about 80 FIS SL & GS points approx based on this years exams in Canada.

Now is BASI choose to water it down I would not expect the CSCF to keep accrediting them.

Are you sure about 80 points for cscf 3?? ...On the eurotest, 140 - 160 would be about right most of the time..from what i've heard on bullet proof, steep courses when the pass rate is around 2% such as at Morzine, Auron the standard can be near to 100. Even with six openers many with WC experience and some with EC wins the level will vary a little for each test.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
elbrus, thanks, v. interesting. I had a brief chat with Eddy about that a couple of weeks ago, just prior to him running the Instructor L1 last week. I'll make sure I get the low-down from him soon.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
GrahamN, Ross Green is setting up a course for Milton Keynes and if you are interested i could let him know. They are actively trying to get parents, interested racers etc into this course to boost the number of club coaches and ensure that they have a good been given a good introduction. I personally think the L1 canadian content is excellent. I believe they are going to run it on consecutive weekends so no need to take time off. It is basically the CSCF EL course which you can check the course content on line now at the CSIA.

As elbrus, said it is stand alone and i heard from Ross yesterday that the L2 course will have some course setting in it as well.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
skimottaret, I may well be. I really hadn't been thinking about doing it for another year or so yet - I still have plenty to learn about doing it myself (and yes, I know that doing a coaching course will help my own skiing too) - but it could well be useful for our club to get something going a bit earlier than that, as it sometimes ends up I have to don the "coach" mantle myself. It sounds like Eddy (our slope manager) is going to be in the picture as well, which will be useful.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
GrahamN, i will keep an ear out as to the when but dates should be listed on the basi site within 10 days. with all of your race training you may find it a bit basic but Ross is a great coach and i am sure you will get something out of it...
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
GrahamN, course dates now out for the L1 courses (rob spotted this)

http://www.basi.org.uk/course_info.aspx?pid=12&ven=0&dis=2&mod=0
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
skimottaret, thanks. I got a copy of the brochure and dates from Eddy a week or so ago. Making my mind up. I understand the HNGBs should also be launching their scheme in the next week or two - may well be cheaper, but not clear as yet whether there will be any prerequisites (e.g. ASSI, stupidly low seed points etc) or not.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
GrahamN, IIRC the old ASPC did not require an ASSI as entry level.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ski, it (well, it seems to be called ASC now) does at the moment - see posts on this thread on May 15. SSE website appears to be down at the moment rolling eyes .
snow report
GrahamN, is the BASI brochure you have up to date? The L1 course is now 3 days not 5. I havent seen a new one and the course content and lenghts will have changed quite a bit since last year.
ski holidays
GrahamN, Hmmm... looks like you need to get your seed points down a bit then ! Laughing It may be worth speaking with SSE (if that's the way you want to go) to see if they'll give you some kind of exemption based on race results.
latest report
ski, well.. Wink ....doing a "seed point" calculation on the SRSA Bromley race for me came out at 99.6 (or maybe about 107) Shocked . OK, not a realistic test, but a bit more encouraging than still failing to get a podium finish.

skimottaret, yes it was the new one PSG gave Eddy. They're a bit in short supply as it sounds like there's been more interest than they initially expected. Eddy only copied me the dates/summary pages for L1/L2 so I don't know whether there's anything else useful in it.
ski holidays
GrahamN, That's good that they have finalised the course brochures... I am curious about the L3 course requirements. Sean L was still mulling it over while i was in Aviemore but it sounded like the L3 will have a Eurotest pass as a prerequisite which would stop me going any further with BASI coaching courses....
ski holidays
FYI.
latest report
^ Yup, they've finally launched it!

Seems to be a lot about coaching and not quite so much about instructing in the PR though...
snow report
roga, Have you looked at the PDF link at the bottom of the page ?
snow conditions
OK, so they've changed the names of stuff - but is there any difference from what there was previously? On that (pretty ropey BTW) graphic it doesn't look any different to me.
snow report
GrahamN, Tim had said that not much would change.

For L4 Performance coach the requirement to set and referee FIS races and the workplace assessment and portfolio are new. The requirements for logged coaching hours at the lower levels are new too.
snow report
rjs wrote:
roga, Have you looked at the PDF link at the bottom of the page ?

Yup, have now (Virgin was cutting out on me earlier so didn't manage to download it for a while).

I was talking specifically about the PR (Press Release) as on the page linked to by you above though (I also had it e-mailed to me 'coz I'm a member of Snowsport England) and I maintain the emphasis is on coaching - mind you not that much different in the PDF either now I've seen it NehNeh Laughing

It's true it 'aint that much different than before though Toofy Grin
snow conditions
I've never really paid that much attention to the Home Nations stuff, but to an outsider this looks like it is mainly a name change, with the pathway leading to a renamed APC2. Other than Club Instructor (and boarding equivalent) there doesn't seem to be much to justify the "Instructing" claim in their tagline, and nothing which seems to support "Leading".
snow report
for me the good bit is that they have consolidated all the various home nation versions of ratings, which had always sounded to be slightly different into one single UK wide scheme, a step in the right direction IMO.

I cant say i understand the two different pathways shown as "performance" and "pathway"... You are a L2 instructor (old money ASSI) and then become a L3 race coach?
ski holidays
skimottaret wrote:
I cant say i understand the two different pathways shown as "performance" and "pathway"... You are a L2 instructor (old money ASSI) and then become a L3 race coach?

They are different pathways, I admit that the page headings could be better though. The L3 qualification after ASSI isn't a race coaching one, it is L3 Coach (old ASC).
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rjs, the pdf's now on the SSE site are much clearer and explain the two pathways 1. performance coaching 2. instruction / recreational coaching

I think it is a bit confusing to have two types of "coach" ratings, why not just have called them L3 and L4 instructors... Guess that would have irritated current holders of ADC and ASC badges

Another thing i like in the UK coaching scheme is the 20 hours of post course shadowing before they award the coach badge. Will be interesting to see if BASI implements that as well.

I know BASI are keeping a close eye on the Leading qualification...
ski holidays
The New BASI coaching course brochure is now out detailing all 4 levels of coach training and dates

[img]https://snowheads.com/the_zone/showphoto.php/data/500/thumbs/coachingbooklet.pdf[/img]

the 3 day L1 course costs £280
latest report
skimottaret, My reading of the document you posted is that they expect most people to stop at L2 and just add extra modules.

I'm not so sure whether we have enough potential L3s to have one per club though.
snow conditions
rjs, yeah i kinda agree and it seems like the L3 is tailored towards ISIA/ISTD's that can or have passed the speed test...
ski holidays
If it took the HNGB 2 years and endless meetings to come up with this then that's very disappointing http://www.snsc.demon.co.uk/courses/pathway.pdf

Same old courses, different names! My kids could have knocked this up in 10 mins on one of their play computer programmes!
latest report
elbrus, I'm happy with the new scheme.

What shiny new ideas would you like to have seen ?
ski holidays
rjs, Me too, I no longer need to keep up my ASSI, which means one less re-val to do snowHead .
snow report
elbrus, probably of more interest to most is this link http://www.snsc.demon.co.uk/courses/where_do_i_fit_in.htm wink
ski holidays
I see on the BASI web site that listed under the Alpine Ski Teacher ISIA section there is a "Alpine Dev Coach Level 1+2 Conversion/Resit" course running in Hintertux at a price of £50 - Does anyone know what that might be ?
latest report
david@mediacopy, Click on the "Coaching" parent to that page. It is described at the bottom.
snow conditions
ah, I think I've found it Confused
snow conditions
skimottaret (or anyone else), do you know if there's a similar brochure available to download for the BASI instructing levels?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy