Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lech in December

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I realise no-one has a crystal ball, but what are the snow conditions generally like in Lech over New Year. I've been before in March when it was stunning, but fancy seeing the New Year in there. Anyone been there then? I've found a nice looking place called Chalet Sonneck with Ski Solutions flying out Dec 30th but they only have 2 rooms left and I don't want to panic book.

The hotel I stayed in at Zermatt last new year is full....I am trying not to think I've missed the boat!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Good to Very Good normally.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Beverley,
I've been once at New Year and the conditions were OK but nothing special, a ski instructor I spoke to said they were very poor for the time of year. I think it is one of the more reliable spots in the alps and New Year accommodation gets booked very quicky there. Personally I'd grab it.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Have been to Lech many times. Last Christmas was an exceptionnally bad time. It is such a fun place - hope they have the ice bar on the hill that was there last year. Good for a glass or two on NYE. My gut feeling is that it is going to be a great winter in Europe and I hope Canada.
Just think positive!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Beverley, I spent Christmas/New Year in Lech a few years ago. Whilst the snow was not good, it was perfectly skiable. If you go, do try a Vodka-Pfeige, available in all the open-air bars. Yummy!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Lech is more or less the snowiest place in the Alps.

Do it.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Lech is more or less the snowiest place in the Alps.

Puzzled
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for the replies. Dithering, whether to try and find somewhere in Zermatt (on paper much higher up and more snowsure?) and do Lech in March again. Decisions, decisions. I'm happy with average snow in a great place like Lech as only intermediate, hubby is more experienced and wants to ski ski ski ...... so might be grumpy if snow not good enough.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Beverley, If you have a choice, I think it would be safer to go for Zermatt.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Height isn't everything by reputation Lech is one of the alps snowier spots and isn't exactly low. Zermatt has a reputation of having a somewhat drier climate. I don't know how reliable these reputations are they are based on guidebooks newspapers etc. But I have been several times to Lech and St Anton and they have always had reasonable conditions, the worst I have had was that New Year and even then it snowed part way through our stay to give excellent skiing. Nowhere is guaranteed early in the season but I would certainly go for Lech given the opportunity.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
You are probably right Hurtle. I love Lech and the idea of NY there, but really do want good snow. Our favourite hotel in Zermatt is booked solid, so will have a look around and see what else there is. It's only September for goodness sake why is everything booked up already? It's making me panicky that I will end up in a little hut somewhere with no windows - do these people know something about the snow conditions that I don't?! Last year I booked up NY in Zermatt in December through Expedia.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Oh T-Bar now you've gone a confused me......... Shocked
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Beverley,
Sorry Twisted Evil

If you are bothered by the figures the historic figures given by SCGB for 1st week of Jan are
Zermatt Upper 150
Lower 37

Lech Upper 135
Lower 73

At resort level there is if the figures are to believed therefore roughly an average of twice the depth. Having a glacier obviously guarantees Zermatt snow. Personally when Ive been to Zermatt in January the glacier has been very cold and unpleasant.

I would not be unduly concerned about snow at either place Zermatt guarantees it with the glacier in a really bad year but the lower slopes and possibly the mid slopes may be a bit thinner on average.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks T-Bar. You've reminded me, last year in Zermatt over NY there were 2 days when we managed 1 run due to conditions/visibiity/high winds and one day when they shut the whole mountains completely, alas we had to stay in the bar.

The balance is tipping again...... blimey what a dithery female I must appear! Blush
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy