Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

bindings and boots - what are hard and what are soft

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
ok, bit of techie stuff here,

any one have recommedations / experience regarding stiff bindings and boots rather than soft boots, when would you use them, what type of board they are appropriate for, can they be used at any level of experience of rider, or any type of riding. What types of bindings (Flow/others) are considered hard etc.

I mainly ride piste or hopefully off piste and I feel at the end of a days riding my set up is a bit squidgy and perhaps I need something a bit harder

any comments ??

edited to avoid confusion with hard boots, I mean normal snowboard boots

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 21-09-07 10:46; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rayscoops, hard boots refer to old school boots (which were pretty much the same as ski boots) with a binding similar to the ones you see on some snowblades. They are used today mainly when racing (boardercross for example), or by those that refuse to modernise their equipment! In any case, they're not ideal for offpiste (because of the set up i.e. both feet face the same way).

Modern (ratchet or flow) bindings and boots are usually referred to as soft.

you want to look for a stiff board and a high quality binding that you can ratchet up well. I have a boot by 32 which claims to be one of the stiffest boots around. Although not as stiff as a ski boot, it does offer a lot more support than the old boots I used to have.

It's quite normal for the boot to loosen up through the day, not much you can do about that. But look for a boot which has a locking lacing system - I have that and it does seem to help.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
nice, I mean normal snow board boots, whether soft or stiff, similarly normal bindings, whether flexible or rigid regarding foot movement in the binding, sorry for confusion Blush
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
rayscoops, Embarassed
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rayscoops, anything labelled 'freeride' will be stiffer than 'freestyle' but it's usually down to the balance sheet . . . the more you pay the better design, materials and construction . . . though it's hard to tell where the crossover is between performance, bling and retail greed stands.
I'm in the market for new boots and I'm having a real prob finding shops with stuff in-stock I want to try on espesh for 32s. I want real light and uber stiff as I've a older V'stiff board I want to play about on with a forward stance and get into some proper high-speed carving.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
My Burton Motos are okay but they have a little too much give in the lacing and and on the front for my liking. My Flow Eleven bindings are proper snug and are pretty stiff and very responsive, but they are kind of wasted with the boots I currently have.

Will definitely be getting some new boots before Xmas but I have to tell my head that it's function over form that dictates the buy and not the other way round!!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
my Burton Tributes seem a bit soft, but never tried any other boots (apart from hire) so not sure what the alternative is, they seemed fine when I tried them on with the boot fitter chappy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy