Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Winter Tyres on own car

Poster: A snowHead
I've read a few people saying they have winter tyres for their own cars. Can I ask, do you have these on wheels? ie do you own an additional set of wheels or do you just take all 5 down to the local garage and get the *normal* tyres taken off and these refitted. Just interested how it works - sounds expensive either way.

cheers
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We got a whole set of new wheels (well 4 actually and we hope we don't need the spare!!), our local dealer had some cars of our model that were destined for scrap and we got a good deal on some second hand wheels that we then put the tyres onto. Its easier to just change the wheels - you local tyre centre will probably do it quickly for a few quid if you don't want the hassle yourself. It may also be cheaper to explore sourcing the tyres from the internet - it was actually cheaper for us to ship in tyres from Germany than to buy them here.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
johnnyh, It's better to have 2 sets of rims. Expensive initial outlay, but your Summer set will only be used in the Summer so last twice as long, as obviously you're only wearing one set at a time. Quite often you can get a set of take off rims from a dealer for pretty much nothing or there's always fleabay.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have another set of wheels

why?

a) My summer wheels are alloys and things like kerbs (bent a steel wheel after sliding and hitting a kerb) & snow chains would destroy them. Steel wheels on the other hand are cheap to replace.

b) For most cars the ideal winter tyres are narrower than the summer tyres. With a second set of wheels you can have the ideal tyre in summer and winter.

c) Constantly changing over tyres can weaken the tyre and present a safety risk.

When buying winter tyres (esp. second hand) be aware that they only have a 4 year shelf life.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Fri 5-10-07 22:41; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
DB,

Quote:

When buying tyres (esp. second hand) be aware that they only have a 4 year shelf life.

I haven't come across this on any of the major tyre manufacturers info. Do you have any link to where this fact comes from?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
BernardC wrote:
DB,

Quote:

When buying tyres (esp. second hand) be aware that they only have a 4 year shelf life.

I haven't come across this on any of the major tyre manufacturers info. Do you have any link to where this fact comes from?

Sorry should of said "winter tyres" not just "tyres". The OAMTC (Austria AA equivalent) use the 4x4x4 rule = 4 winter tyres with min 4mm tread not older than 4 years.

I believe the shelf life of a normal tyre is around 6 years, not sure about M&S tyres.

http://www.conti-online.com/generator/www/de/en/continental/automobile/themes/news/meldungen/pr_2007_07_31_reifen_schnaeppchen_en.html

http://www.safetyresearch.net/tires.htm

http://www.bridgestone.com.au/tyres/products/car/care/age.asp
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
In continental Europe where big garages are common the drivers usually store one full set of winter tyres, possibly next to the snow blowing machine.

I have two spare sets for my Shogun. They are all season tyres though because 100% winter tyres are hard to come by for the truck-size 4x4, at least that was the situation 18 months ago. I picked up my two sets of alloys quite cheaply from the eBay. With spare sets I can run down the tread (for getting more mileage out) during the summer and change to a set with deep tread when I go skiing.

I wouldn't dream of running a car on a second hand or remould tyres on a 650mile high speed journey to the Alps.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We didn't splash out on new rims last year because they're such a weird size (unique to the car). We had to buy the only snow tyres that fitted courtesy of Nissan.

Note to the wise: the Swiss equivalent of the AA did a detailed report on snow and M+S tyres concluding that M+S tyres were worse than a liability. Also thaht there are good snow tyres available and very, very bad snow tyres available.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
David Murdoch, Spill the beans, I'm just about to order my set of winter tyres and I'd hate to buy the
Quote:

very bad snow tyres available

BTW they are 265 x 70 x16 so not cheap Shocked
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Dypcdiver,

The more stars the better, sorry don't have a report for your tyre size

205/55 R16 H tyre size
http://www.oeamtc.at/refresh/frameset.php?p=http://www.oeamtc.at/netautor/html_seiten/reifentests/winter2007/205/uebersicht.htm

If you give me the name of the tyre you are thinking of buying I can do a search to see if anything comes up on the German & Austrian websites.

PS They are wide tyres, are you assuming that the winter tyre and summer tyre will have the same dimensions? (winter tyres are often narrower).

Just look at how narrow these winter rally tyres are in this clip.
http://www.rallynorway.no/no/nyheter/god_jul_2007.html
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Dypcdiver, http://www.tcs.ch/main/fr/home/auto_moto/tests/reifen.html you can download the various reports. The widest they went to was 215. Ours are a very particular 225 x 656 x 18. The only tyres available in this size are Dunlop Grandtrek ST20s. So we have the M&S version for summer and the winter version for winter. Ho hum.

What are you driving with a 265 width and 16 diameter anyway?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mud and snow tread pattern is used on sand, grass and muddy terrains. It is useful for deep and loose snow.

Winter tyres or all-season tyres designated for driving on snow and icy surface should have soft rubber compound and loads of sips (micro zig zag grooves).

Low profile sport tyres are speed orientated and may not as effective as the normal profile typres. I believe manufacturers for 4x4 recommend normal profile type (with narrow footprint) for the snow surface. One of the technique to improve traction on snow ground is to let the air out to reduce the tyre pressure.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
David Murdoch, Thanks for that, I am restricted by the Spanish ITV (UK MoT) only tyre sizes that are listed in my reg document are allowed. Some do fit other sizes, but in the case of an accident I expect I'd get hammered. I know the benefits of narrow snow tyres having been on the works rally team of Rootes group/Crysler for almost a year (and yes I am that old) I have the choice of Michelin Latitue Alpin or Blizzak LM 25 both of which seem to come out OK. Thank again.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I don't believe a tyre size change constitute a variation serious enough to void an insurance claim, as long as the sizes are within the dealer's optional fittings.

What is normally done is when a bigger alloy rim is used the aspect ratio is changed to give a fatter width at the expense of a reduce rubber height, so that even the tyre looks visually bigger its diameter or circumference remain substantially the same as before. Otherwise the speedometer will have to be changed. The alloy wheel options provided by the dealers normally fall into this category and I have personally verified each dimension for the vehicles I own.

As an example of fitting a 285/55R18 tyre to a stock 265/70R16 type. The 265 is the rubber width in mm. 70 is the aspect ratio in % and the R16 denotes 16" rim diameter of the alloy (yes the mm and inches are still used "together" in the type industry!) Thus the diameter of the tyre in inches =(3rd No)+(1st No)/25.4*(2nd No)/100*2. For mm the diameter in inches *25.4.

The 285/55R18 type offered by the dealer is a 18" alloy with the type physically 285-265=20mm wider. Its diameter 770.0mm is only 99% of the original stock size on 16" alloy.

width(mm)---wall(%)----rim(")---- dia (mm)---ratio
265------------ 70-----------16--------777.4--------1
285-------------55-----------18--------770.7--------0.99
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If it was me I'd find out what's the narrowest winter tyre I could legally put on the car and get the car documents updated for two reasons.

1) Narrow winter tyres perform better.

2) Narrow winter tyres are cheaper (probably buy a narrow tyre and steel wheel for less than the price of a wide tyre).

.... it might be the weight of the vehicle esp. the engine weight which requires the wider tyres though.
snow conditions
Dypcdiver, you're not driving a Lotus Sunbeam are you? That could be entertaining! If you're interested we could try and resurrect the ice racing they used to do round here... wink
ski holidays
Maybe it's a Hillman Imp with wide wheels arches. Wink
snow report
DB, weren't they quite competitive?

Spookily enough, one of our favourite family cars was a Princess just like that. Awesome rear leg room.
ski holidays
We had a Princess. 4 of us kids slept in it on an overnight drive from Geordieland to Cornwall. Smaller ones were on the floor behind the back seat, with pillows underneath them.
latest report
I have slept on the shelf over the engine in a Hillman Imp on trips up to Scotland.
ski holidays
rjs, Very Happy . Those were the days before seatbelts, and child restraints.........................
snow report
rjs, that would have been cosy!

The Princess was a great car. We had two and then rejected the Ambassador as a poor replacement. (Princess to Ambassador, I mean, really, BL what were you thinking?). In all honesty ours were standard "L" models where I think that piccy is at least a "High Line" if not a "Vanden Plas".

(And you wonder why Sophie calls me a spod?
latest report
David Murdoch, .... is that an early Thule pitched roof-box on the Imp ..... ? Toofy Grin
snow conditions
I'm quite bemused by Helen Beaumont & David Murdoch discussing legroom in a car Toofy Grin wink
ski holidays
FenlandSkier, why? Legroom is infinitely important. I had a Rover SD1 once (V8 of course) and you could fit an entire full size double mattress in the back. Not that I ever did, but it did mean you had lots of fun space Twisted Evil
ski holidays
Those were the days when the difference between the base model and the GL was a rear windscreen wiper and a cigarette lighter.
ski holidays
FenlandSkier wrote:
I'm quite bemused by Helen Beaumont & David Murdoch discussing legroom in a car Toofy Grin wink

and pray tell, why would that be................... Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
David Murdoch wrote:
I had a Rover SD1 once (V8 of course)

Oh, so did I!

David Murdoch wrote:
and you could fit an entire full size double mattress in the back

If only I had known that then ......... Sad
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
David Murdoch, NehNeh Not an Imp but a 1725 Holbay Hilman Minx!!!(not a Hunter) Jean Todt and Des O'Dell were running the Comps department in Coventry at the time, and yes it is the same Jean Todt of F1 fame, he has been around a while.
The 265 x 70 x 16 Tyres are for my SWB Toyota Land Cruiser (Colorado in the UK). It is difficult to find any rims that can be fitted to this at a resonable price, the OEM steel rims are €260 each plus nuts and centre caps and if I want the alloys, they come out at €570 each again plus nut and caps. Ideally I would like the 17 inch rims as fitted to the later model which I will buy to replace this one some time.
snow report
Thanks for the responses on this. Looks like I may have to source some wheels from ebay. I won't go near a dealership as they charge about 1k for new wheels.
snow conditions
johnnyh, ... what vehicle are you intending to fit them on .. ?
ski holidays
A new Jeep Cherokee - the dealer's a pirate!
latest report
... 'main stealer' I have heard them referred to on here sometimes ..... Laughing

If it's 16" rims, then you should be able to pick them up for about £40.00 each. (Although I managed to get a set of 5 new 16" rims & tyres, from a Main dealer for a Landrover Discovery for £350. The wheels were taken off a new vehicle as the buyer wanted 18" wheels & the dealer wanted rid of them).
ski holidays
Think I picked up 4 No. of used 16" genuine Shogun alloys (original fitting) for about £150 which look like new. The other 4 have 265/70R16 tyres fitted and cost about £200. These are over £1500 if bought new.

Many people upgrade their alloys and there are loads of them in the eBay. They are very happy just to claim the garage space back and would accept offer.
snow conditions
I got my spare rims from the main dealer when i bought my new to me 2nd hand car from them. They threw the wheels in for free. They were brand new taken off a new Fabia that he'd just sold with an upgrade to alu rims.
latest report
Dave Horsley, .... very good deal ..... Laughing

johnnyh, .. maybe you can show Dave Horsley,'s post to your 'Pirate' dealer and let him redeem himself .... Toofy Grin
latest report
johnnyh, my Wrangler had the same size and fitting wheels as the Cherokee and the steel variety were around 40GBP's each.
ski holidays
Set of Four winter tyres here for sale
Very Happy http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=729244#729244
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy