Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

I Live in London, it's mid winter and I want to ski this weekend....

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

Swirly wrote:
rob@rar, thats what I did: £112 although you could get a discount with a railcard.

Thanks, makes it fairly expensive for a couple of days I guess.

But remember that includes 2 nights accomodation, and you won't be charged to take your skis and boots with you, and you won't have to arrive 2 hrs before the train leaves to clear security, and if your luggage doesn't turn up at the far end it'll be your fault for leaving it sat on the platform Smile
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Dave Horsley, actually it was only one night on the sleeper, there appears to be no sleeper on the sunday night. Compared to last minute flights it's a lot cheaper. However, it is probably as prone to delays, a colleague has seen it come back through Crewe at 0930 a few times. For just sat and sun last minute I think it would be the cheapest way, however, if you could swing thurs-mon flights would have it IMO. Of course if comfort's not your thing you could get five in a car!

I checked the train for Liverpool to Fort Bill: £56 return with my railcard, that could be a goer Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
When I got a train up many moons ago on a student railcard I managed to blag a lift to the mountain with a school party, but bear in mind that the train station in both Fort William and Cairngorm ain't that close to the lifts!!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
There is a regular bus service from Fort Bill to Nevis, but it'd only be a few ££ in a taxi.

Certainly over the summer there s a sleeper from FW to London on a Sunday night....it's Saturday night that there isn't one.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Well obviously the challenge is about getting up to Scotland and is to prove that it's actually as cheap (if not cheaper) and as easy (if not easier) as heading anywhere else.

I've taken the first weekend in December simply because I skied Cairngorm that weekend last season but to be honest March/April are probably the best months. I think the times and prices would be roughly similar though.

Okay here we go:

Heading for Aviemore:
London to Aviemore
Depart from London at 21:15 on Friday night and arrive in Aviemore at 07:26 on Saturday morning.

Aviemore to London
Depart from Aviemore at 21:08 on Sunday and arrive in London at 07:43 Monday.

Total price £112 This includes 2 nights accommodation as well as travel so a further night (Saturday) needs to be found - lowest price probably a hostel at say £20 so you could do it as cheaply as £132 for travel and accommodation for the weekend.

Heading for Fort William (I'll be doing something like this in March for the 3 day demo - see here):

London to Fort William
Depart London at 21:15 on Friday night and arrive in Fort William at 09:52 on Saturday morning.

Fort William to London
Depart from Fort William at 19:00 on Sunday and arrive in London at 07:43 Monday.

The Fort William option is a slightly longer trip but the same price at £112 and again covering 2 nights accommodation so there's a further one night to sort out at roughly similar prices so again say £132 for travel and accommodation for the weekend.

There ya go snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
boredsurfin wrote:
Bike taxi to City Airport. Private jet into Courchevel. Job done Toofy Grin

Whats your budget again? Laughing
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
kitenski wrote:
When I got a train up many moons ago on a student railcard I managed to blag a lift to the mountain with a school party, but bear in mind that the train station in both Fort William and Cairngorm ain't that close to the lifts!!

In Aviemore the ski bus goes past the station though so you'd have no hassle, and Fort William has something similar.

Anyone know if you'll still be able to buy lift tickets at the office by Aviemore station this year?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
No brainer - Central London - taxi to City Airport then flight to Geneva - (City is a cool quick airport but any of the 5 airports will do). From Geneva pick up rent a car and drive 45 mins to Chamonix. Stay in the backpackers hostel Le Vagabond. Ski all day Sat & all day Sun, then either sleep over or drive back and get last flight at night back.

The only other viable option I have found is to hire a people carrier and rope 3-4 driving friends in and share the driving responsability
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We've done it a few times. In fact we've DRIVEN it once (in a transit, at that!), but I really wouldn't recommend it.

Friday: 8.35pm flight from City Airport to Geneva, arrive 23.10, hope desperately it's not delayed to avoid hire car charges. In car at 23.30, Chamonix at 00.30.

Saturday: pure action

Sunday: pure action

Monday: 6.55 am flight, back in central london at 9 Crying or Very sad You can only do this from City really, as it's so quick to get out of.

Cost generally 110- 170 ish for the flights, depending how late you book. Probably more like 200 at v short notice for the Monday return.
100 ish for the car

What we usually do instead though, is take Monday off (because the Tuesday AM flights are very cheap) and Friday off as well (Friday AM flights are also generally cheaper). I'd rather go less often, and for longer.

The shortest we've ever done it was just over 4 hours from walking out of the door in London to walking in the door in Chamonix, but this involved a lot of good luck, a tail wind and some extremely close calls, it's not something I'd ever want to try on a regular basis... Toofy Grin

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Tue 25-09-07 18:59; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
heheh. jinx with plectrum!

Also we used to quite often drive back to Geneva and stay there the last night - stay in an airport hotel and you can don't have the hideous early morning. It's a bit grim though.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I second the thoughts about City airport. Its peace and quiet and sheer lack of hassle is worth 50 quid extra on flights any day

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Tue 25-09-07 20:22; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
eng_ch, yep, and if you're in central London, you save a lot by getting there on the DLR (included on your Oystercard) instead of £25 return to Stansted.

I would like to try Scotland one day though.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
firebug,
I thought Chamonix was for buying boots in, Aviemore is for skiing. Puzzled
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Leave work and drive straight to dover. Get Ferry for about 7.30. arrive about 8.00pm get in 4 hours non stop driving in which will get you half way through france. Stop in Formula 1 hotel for 6 hours or share driving and drive through night. Pick a resort avoriaz/morzine/chamonix etc. Drive straight to slopes. Ski all day. Stay in B+B and ski again Sunday. Leave slopes at 4.30 for drive home. If done well you'll be back in London by 3.30 am ready for 6 hours sleep b4 getting up for work monday morning. Easier if a few of you who will share driving. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Weekend skiing from the UK sucks.

You overpay and underski.

Better to spend one's valuable time, energy and money on a full week or more.

If you must go, then the London-Geneva-Chamonix route is easily the best solution.
ski holidays
Whitegold, Great if you have the time to take a few separate weeks out over a season. Otherwise weekends it is. A different experience but certainly one that leaves me recharged, chuffed and smug in the knowledge that I've had a top weekend. Relatively expensive perhaps, but value for money on my register.
snow report
roga, gosh - your overnighter to Scotland looks very tempting especially as I'm based right next to Kings Cross. I really should keep on eye on when the conditions are right! snowHead Are those prices based on booking in advance?
snow report
T Bar, now that *would* be a challenge for a weekend Very Happy
snow report
cathy, that does look good doesn't it. LSB (London-Scottish Bash)?
snow conditions
Winterhighland, in the absence of an irony smiley, I think you're being just a titchy little bit disengenuous wink

1. You don't need to check the forecast before heading out as in most seasons for most of the mainline season there will be snow and good skiing. If you fly into GVA and your chosen resort has a storm coming in, you drive from wherever you're staying to somewhere where the weather/terrain will allow you to exploit the storm.

2. So you plan a bit in advance, even to booking cheap flights from your chosen airport as soon as they're released for every weekend of the season. That way, even if the forecast is dreadful and you bin the idea at the last minute, you still work out economically advantageous.

3. That way you avoid those "you can only lose" voicemails at midnight on a Friday saying either that Cairngorm/Glencoe/Glenshee is open - in which case you have a 6.00am start with a raging hangover (you lose) or you don't get to go skiing (you lose)...
snow conditions
It's the last minute bit that kills you on costs. Plan ahead a little you can easily ski two decent days in say Chamonix (Geneva) or Engelberg (Zurich). I can see that for Scotland you want to make these decisions at the last minute (given the volatile weather and conditions) but why not book (flights at least) ahead to the Alps.

Airmiles help a lot. In my experience, there is uch better availability on airmiles flights into Zurich than Geneva which makes Engelberg a good option.
snow report
cathy wrote:
roga, gosh - your overnighter to Scotland looks very tempting especially as I'm based right next to Kings Cross. I really should keep on eye on when the conditions are right! snowHead Are those prices based on booking in advance?

Sorry, bit slow replying to your question.

Yes, that's an advance booking but I don't think they go much above that and if you pick your date right and book a bargain berth in advance they can be really cheap.
snow report
 brian
brian
cathy, the sleepers operate from Euston, but that's not far is it ?

http://www.firstgroup.com/scotrail/content/caledoniansleeper/index.php

Just priced it for this weekend to FW and it was £180 return for a bed, £112 for a reclining seat.

But it doesn't arrive until nearly 10am, say half hour to Nevis car park, buy pass, get up hill, you won't be skiing until about 11am.

I love skiing in Scotland but it's a 2-3 hour drive for me and I don't make a final decision until the night before. If I were you, I'd move here Toofy Grin
snow report
Friday evening to Geneva, Easyjet 18-50 - 21.25 or 20.15 - 22.50. Loads of resorts are within an hour or (even better) an hour and a half of Geneva - including Chamonix/Argentierre, Flaine etc see http://www.j2ski.com/ski_resorts/Airports/Geneva.html
Return Sunday evening flight 20.15 - 22.50 which gives you the whole day to ski.
That's assuming there are any places left on these flights, of course.
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Some Snowheads are leaving Manchester 06.15 on a saturday, arriving Salzburg just after 9 and intend to be skiing in Radstat by noon. 8pm flight back tuesday gives 3.5 days skiing with only 3 nights accomodation. I am sure something could be organised for a weekend.
EDIT
Flights £100
Transfer £40
B&B per night £25

That sounds good - can we come along ? wink
snow report
Smokin Joe, you wouldn't want to. It's a right motley crew going by all accounts NehNeh Laughing
snow conditions
Charlatanefc, only the scousers will spoil it ! Laughing
ski holidays
Not sure about from London, but certainly mates who live in Leeds/Manc make several trips up to Aviemore a season, weather depending. I think VisitScotland are starting to take this more seriously and start marketing the opportunity a bit better. It's got to be a better carbon footprint option than heading overseas. We're doing the sums on that as I write - more info when it comes through...
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
What about flying to Innsbruck, you'd be in St Anton in under an hour? Problem is in finding accomodation for 2 nights in resort, though I'm sure it can be done last min.

London (LON) to Innsbruck (INN): Departing: Fri 25 Jan - Returning: Sun 27 Jan Date Departure Arrival Flight Duration Cabin
Fri 25 Jan 17:05London, Heathrow 19:40 Frankfurt LH4733 4h30 Economy Basic (W)
Fri 25 Jan 21:15Frankfurt 22:35 Innsbruck LH6414 Economy Basic (W)
Sun 27 Jan 18:20Innsbruck 19:50 Frankfurt LH6413 4h40 Economy Basic (W)
Sun 27 Jan 21:25Frankfurt 22:00 London , Heathrow LH4744 Economy Basic (W)
ski holidays
Anyone know anything about the sleeper trains to the alps? They run Friday nights but can't seem to figure out how to get back on sunday night.
latest report
Whitegold, no it doesn't
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy