Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Gets - right resort? March 08

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, myself & 4 girlfriends are looking for a resort which is easily accessible from Geneva airport. It is our first time planning a diy holiday as we've always gone with a tour operator before. We have been offered an apartment in Les Gets by a friend (at a reasonable rate) but are trying to figure out if its the right resort for us, as there seem to be a lot of options!

We are a mixed ability group, 2nd weeker - 15 weeker, all in our mid thirties, always enjoy a good bit of apres but our days of clubbing till dawn are over.

We are open to any thoughts about Les Gets & any suggestions for other resorts

thanks

Oonagh
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It's low and closed early last winter, however, last winter was hard all round. The problem being that you can't get to the higher part of Avoriaz from Les Gets if there's no cover, you'll have to drive, you can however from Morzine.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
SMALLZOOKEEPER, Are you feeling ok? That was possibly the first vaguely helpful post you've made for the last 6 months.....

nooner, I agree with him, Morzine would give better access to the higher parts of the Portes du Soleil and is also far better in terms of apres ski. Les Gets is pretty limited in that department.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
NAKEDZOOKEEPER, Find that folder and quick smart, Jizzle pizzle drizzle.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
NAKEDZOOKEEPER, Laughing Laughing Laughing .................True
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
4 women...??? someone has just got to suggest the MSB. Go on you know you want to....
latest report
 brian
brian
JT,

nooner wrote:
Hi, myself & 4 girlfriends

5 women Shocked Laughing
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
nooner, We have been to Les Gets five times and really like it, there is a reasonable amount of skiing to keep you occupied for one week as long as the snow cover is there we have been as late as April and still had good coverage (but who knows what this year will bring).
If you have transport getting to Avoriaz is quite easy if the conditions are not good.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
nooner, Not sure if you will have seen comments on Les Gets in the Resort reports
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
brian ..yep, know that, just thought it would help bump this thread along when someone pointed it out.... wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
nooner, I'd also prefer to be a bit more towards Morzine for easy access to Avoriaz and the rest of the PDS.

Handy rundown of other resorts near Geneva
http://www.j2ski.com/ski_resorts/Airports/Geneva.html

Chaletsdirect and Chaletfinder are good places to look for independent accommodation
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I always go to les gets in march and the snow is normally great then. If you are particually unlucky you can get the free bus to morzine and avoriaz.

Last year in early march morzine had hardly any snow where as les gets kept its snow a lot better due to having more north facing slopes.

If your group is of mixed ability then Les Gets will be ideal. Plenty of easy blues and several challenging blacks in and around the les gets bowl.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Not a bad choice at all. You may have usual spring conditions, you can always get up to Avoriaz if weather is bad but it may be more tricky from Les Gets as opposed to Morzine or even Avoriaz. Enjoy it, you'll have great craic.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Oonagh, if snowcover poor in Les Gets they run a free bus to Avoriaz, but agree Morzine to Avoriaz much easier. I have skiied there Dec, Jan, March & April and only totally given up once because of poor (well nil acutually!) coverage end of last December and luckily it snowed within 24hours. Am taking five of my friends there again for girls weekend in March so may see you there!
Only one little nightclub but several lively bars and many good restaurants. Drop me a line if can help with any info....
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Been to Les Gets more times than I can count, including twice last year. It's an excellent resort for kids, which is why I go there.

Lots and lots of English people there these days. It was at its best before the English started trekking there in droves tbh.

Nightlife would be ok for the group you are describing and who goes skiing for the Apres skiing anway? I can get drunk and go nightclubbing here if I want to.

I personally think it is a better "looking" resort than Morzine and also, its smaller, meaning its easier to get around things. Morzine seems very sprerad out to me.
latest report
BTW. Snow was bearable. What was more annoying was skiing in the rain during parts of the Feb half term trip!
snow report
thanks for all your thoughts everyone, much appreciated. Will now have to confer with the ladies & see what they fancy! Might be back to ask for more advice, as no doubt we will change our minds a few times
snow conditions
Quote:
several challenging blacks in and around the les gets bowl.
jayc, errr, just where exactly? Les Gets has the useful artefact (for some people) that the runs are graded one colour "harder" than they should be... wink

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 26-09-07 21:37; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
professorpool,
Quote:

Nightlife would be ok for the group you are describing and who goes skiing for the Apres skiing anway?

Hmm, much as I love my family, there is a certain appeal about going away with friends and having a few drinks in the evening and not having to worry about the children and sorting their kit out Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
brian wrote:
JT,

nooner wrote:
Hi, myself & 4 girlfriends

5 women Shocked Laughing

I just assumed the OP was Mormon.
snow conditions
Lou wrote:
professorpool,
Quote:

Nightlife would be ok for the group you are describing and who goes skiing for the Apres skiing anway?

Hmm, much as I love my family, there is a certain appeal about going away with friends and having a few drinks in the evening and not having to worry about the children and sorting their kit out Madeye-Smiley

Och, that's what nieces are for..
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Quote:
several challenging blacks in and around the les gets bowl.

Well for the group decsribed I'm sure the black runs in Les Gets will be sufficient. For anyone more hardcore they can always bus to avoriaz and ski the swiss wall, or is that too easy too?
ski holidays
jayc, "ski the swiss wall, or is that too easy too?"

Yep. Twisted Evil
ski holidays
Very pretty - good resort for mixed ability and its actually 187m higher than Morzine

Has one of the best websites with webcams showing exactly what the cover is like.

Have skied all over the 3v but theres something about LG that keeps drawing me back

Last year when snow was poor at start of Feb there was a free bus to Ardent which gets you right into the PDS area and SAGETS also slashed the cost of a weeks LG/Morzine local pass - which worked out well - as it snowed hard at the end of the week which meant we had some cheap skiing on quiet runs.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy