Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Does SnowHeads make you delusional about your own skiing ability....

Poster: A snowHead
Kramer wrote:
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think in general in skiing the wheel tends to get reinvented every few years. That shows up in here a lot in the discussions. The equipment has evolved but its not a long way away from 20 years ago. Ten years from now will there be a return to longer skis/rear entry boots and the asscociated tweaks to technique? I still see a lot of people on the slopes in their old gear skiing a heck of a lot better than me.

boredsurfin, I think you are quite right in that opinion, for a lot of people their week away is all they are going to get. When I was in that situation after a couple of lousy ski schools I just wanted to have fun with my mates. A little older with more disposable time and income I now want to improve using private tuition but will not be in class every trip.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Agenterre wrote:
Kramer wrote:

............... in invisible ink? Toofy Grin
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Gilberts Fridge,
Quote:

using private tuition but will not be in class every trip

Quite, I'm planning on having a lesson this coming season Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I suspect most Snowheads have a fairly realistic view of their skiing ability.

Snowheads are, by and large, holiday skiers. The minority who are not do not for the most part attempt to big themselves up (unless it is so subtle it goes over my head).

In support of this view, I suggest looking on two other sites - TGR & Epic. I do not understand half the lingo on TGR but it often appears that posters are trying to prove something.

There are many Epic posters on Snowheads. They will note that the number of Epic posts on technique and training far exceed those on Snowheads.

My brain hurts when I have to read instructional stuff. A DVD is a bit easier to comprehend. Not only does Epic have more technique posts but there are various rival views of how skiing should be done which mostly pass my by. There are also the occasional weird and wonderful bits like Tai Chi skiing (I kid you not).

Other Epic themes are 'gapers' and 'newbies', which I understand to mean near-beginners or possibly established skiers who are just not very good.

'McSkiing' is another recent thread. The idea if you go to an established ski resort it is not proper skiing. You need to spend all day hiking up to ski places with only a handful of others. A sort of retro idea that faded with things like the Downhill Only Club, but is now coming back into fashion.

A killer is the 'quiver' notion. In other words, you have a dozen pairs of skis lying around and use those as and when conditions dictate. Every season you sell half and buy new ones !

How about 'sleeping in the car, instead of accommodation at ski resorts you have visited'. ?

I do enjoy Epic, but it always reminds me that I am a holiday skier - not hung up on skiing to that extent.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

A killer is the 'quiver' notion. In other words, you have a dozen pairs of skis lying around and use those as and when conditions dictate. Every season you sell half and buy new ones !

and your problem is?........
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yoda wrote:
Quote:

and your problem is?........

1. Most people can't afford to replace half a dozen pairs of skis per year.

2. Unless you live in resort, or are doing a season, you will not be able to get a dozen pairs of skis to the resort.

3. The large majority of us are not good enough skiers to really benefit from more than 2 pairs - one for on piste and one for off-piste. And I would question if it is actually a majority who would even do enough off-piste to benefit from that.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The thing which worries me about some of the threads here in BZK is that it really doesn't always sound as though some skiiers are actually enjoying themselves, but seem to have large parts of their personal identity bound up in skiing and the quest to improve.

Talking about ski technique also seems almost as effective a form of communication as painting about music, or cooking about literature. Skiing is primarily a visual/kinasethetic rather than a verbal experience.

Anyway - for the record - I am a moderate/mediocre skier and know it, but still enjoy it, and enjoy learning as long as it remains fun.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
stoatsbrother wrote:
Talking about ski technique also seems almost as effective a form of communication as painting about music, or cooking about literature.

Agreed, but other than holding monthly meetings of snowHeads Anonymous at the local skidome it's probably the best that we can manage Smile I've picked up a couple of tips which I've thought were effective when I tried them on snow, and sometimes the in-depth discussion about how skiing works has clarified my thoughts on the subject. But all that is always a huge compromise from proper feedback you get from your own skiing as well as an experienced eye looking at how well you do.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
rob@rar, perhaps non-professionals should only be allowed to post in BZK if they first submitted a video of themselves skiing?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
boredsurfin wrote:
Agenterre wrote:
Kramer wrote:

............... in invisible ink? Toofy Grin

"I'm saying nothing". wink
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
stoatsbrother wrote:
rob@rar, perhaps non-professionals should only be allowed to post in BZK if they first submitted a video of themselves skiing?

If you insist!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
stoatsbrother wrote:

I like my delusions, kindly leave me to enjoy them without such ludicrous suggestions. Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stoatsbrother wrote:
The thing which worries me about some of the threads here in BZK is that it really doesn't always sound as though some skiiers are actually enjoying themselves, but seem to have large parts of their personal identity bound up in skiing and the quest to improve.

Well said.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
stoatsbrother wrote:

I do the enjoying part myself and I have now delegated the second part to one of my sock puppets.
snow report
Latchigo, good points, but bear in mind that epic was really set up to allow ski instuctors to get advise from each other online. As such it's not so suprising that they talk about technique a bit.

The way the gear section grew did suprise them though.
snow report
I've only just learned the meaning of the word 'sock puppet'! Shocked FWIW I should think the opposite is true (from the title). I would imagine that many Snowheads now understand how much more there is to skiing than they thought before they joined. I hope that some have been encouraged to take more lessons, become a better skier, and thus get even more enjoyment out of it. Very Happy
snow conditions
easiski, absolutely spot on.

That said I can't quite get my head around talking about technique on a computer.
snow report
rob@rar, nice film - gnarly stairs, good ski-in ski-out access, but we cannot really see you!

Nice video. Proper headcam and DV camera or flash memory jobby?
latest report
rob@rar wrote:

If you insist!

Thanks Rob rolling eyes I've just been sitting at work watching that instead of driving home. Brilliant snowHead
latest report
if you insist II http://uk.youtube.com/v/wIo7NFNmVp0
snow conditions
stoatsbrother, headcam and DV camcorder. That was the first time I'd used it and the picture quality was better than I thought it would be, although there were miles of cables to have to stuff into my backpack, so not very convenient to use.

RachelQ, sorry! Smile
snow conditions
Snowheads does make me spend longer wasting time at work though, definately..... Very Happy
ski holidays
stoatsbrother wrote:
... but we cannot really see you!

Is this any better?
latest report
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
That said I can't quite get my head around talking about technique on a computer.

I take this to mean 'usefully' because anyone with sufficient background context to understand won't need the explanation.

EDIT: I do not believe "anyone with sufficient background context to understand won't need the explanation" is remotely true.

Granted, background context is supremely useful and sometimes necessary depending on the poster.

Granted, the ability to internalise the body image one has conjured by reading posts (and applying background context) is supremely useful and possibly essential.

The value is twofold: the ability to exchange perspective and the time to thoughtfully examine one's own and that of others,
without the pressure of real-world timing,
and without the crutch of demonstration to make up for language lack or undeveloped thought.

The development and excitement of curiosity, conscious self-motivated technique changes and other experimentation outside lesson or clinic rigour is an ancillary benefit not to be despised.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Tue 25-09-07 18:07; edited 1 time in total
snow report
comprex, Smile you took the words out of my mouth....
ski holidays
oh you meant THAT Frosty
ski holidays
Quote:

The value is twofold: the ability to exchange perspective and the time to thoughtfully examine one's own and that of others,
without the pressure of real-world timing,
and without the crutch of demonstration to make up for language lack or undeveloped thought.

The development and excitement of curiosity, conscious self-motivated technique changes and other experimentation outside lesson or clinic rigour is an ancillary benefit not to be despised

comprex, Swallowed the dictionary did we rolling eyes

So back on topic. I've been around a few months now and I've got no delusions of grandeur (sp?). I know I can't ski and I know I won't be able to ski to my own satisfaction for some time to come. Snowheads has helped my by introducing companions a day of instruction that I wouldn't otherwise have had, but that was the 'physical' side of snowheads not the 'posting on the threads' side. In terms of the 'posting on threads' side I have absolutely no doubt that I now understand a huge amount more about the theory behind the subject: boots, skis, technique, clothing, food, wine, attitudes etc. this must in some way help with the physical side and hopefully I will progress better with it than I would have done without it.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
comprex wrote:

Granted, the ability to internalise the body image one has conjured by reading posts (and applying background context) is supremely useful and possibly essential..

Darn it! I knew I didn't belong in this section .... Shocked

So, if I can't understand the written word and then dream about my body positions I'll (probably) be a naff skier ..... contentious stuff wink
snow conditions
Megamum, all that help and you still won't tell us where resort X is... Toofy Grin
snow report
Megamum, thanks for the insult.
snow conditions
snowHeads definitely makes me delusional about my ability. I attempt to ski off things instead of sticking to the flat stuff and sometimes I even follow Kramers excursions rolling eyes
snow report
comprex, Hey, I was only joking - a good natured dig at your literary prowess - (as were some of the other comments I think)!! I wish I chould churn out language like that when I want to impress the boss - its absolutely brilliant - whatever pill you swallowed I want some!!

N.B. In terms of insulting people:

A. It is something I'd rarely, if ever, do, on purpose, in a public forum (unintentionally, well that's a different story - who is to say what one person will find to be an insult another cannot see the harm in), B. If I do intend to purposefully insult someone (and I can't think of any reason why I would) then, believe me, the intended recipient would be left in no doubt of my intent, both from the language used and to the point where there may even be big letters stating that 'this is an insult!!'
ski holidays
skimottaret wrote:

Does repeated posting on snowHead somehow make you THINK you are a better skier than when before you started discussing skiing so much......

I'd think that I definitely consider myself a better skier than I did when I started posting here.... Then again I am a better skier than when I started posting here...

More explicitly I am now just starting to believe I can and will ski at a level that others have thought I can and will ski for quite some time now....

Many thanks to Fastman, Easiski, Fred, and snowheads who were prepared to ski with a "gumby" skier for their help in the process...

Thanks also to any self appointed ski gods I've seen ski in the last 24 months for showing me how well some talk vs walk... (Certain H Harb disciples get super credit here)
snow report
rob@rar, ho ho ho.... snowHead
snow report
stoatsbrother wrote:
rob@rar, ho ho ho.... snowHead

Laughing
ski holidays
...but Kramer, we DO know what you are saying....... wink Laughing
snow conditions
Quote:

In support of this view, I suggest looking on two other sites - TGR & Epic. I do not understand half the lingo on TGR but it often appears that posters are trying to prove something.

There are many Epic posters on Snowheads. They will note that the number of Epic posts on technique and training far exceed those on Snowheads.

Yeah, gotta agree with that, the chocolate starfish moments on snowHeads on technique, analysis etc. look pretty tame when compared to Epic and TGR.

You JONG. Shocked wink
snow report
veeeight wrote:
Yeah, gotta agree with that, the chocolate starfish moments on snowHeads on technique, analysis etc. look pretty tame when compared to Epic and TGR.

You JONG. Shocked wink

now there's plenty of chat about chocolate starfishes on TGR but I must have missed the chat on technique/analysis Laughing
ski holidays
JT wrote:
...but Kramer, we DO know what you are saying....... wink Laughing

Little Angel
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy