Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Christmas on the slopes....

Poster: A snowHead
My friend has proposed a joint family trip over Christmas, 22nd to 29th, and at first I was reluctant to agree because I thought the costs would be prohibitive but looking around at some prices it is viable. My only worry is the obvious one - where will the snow be?
He has suggested we book into a chalet somewhere high in France on a package. I don't like the idea of packages although I know some people need tour operators, I myself prefer to book it all independently. Then I have no one else to blame if things go pear shaped.
So my knowledgeable skiing fraternity, what would you suggest, abiltities are varied and all children are adults really, two families of 5 and the youngest "child" is 17, mixture of boarders and skiers.

Thanks people, i know you will help. Greg
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We've been skiing every Christmas for years now, and have been to Soldeu (twice) in Andorra, Les Gets, Morzine (loads), Val d'Isere and Val Thorens in France, Hinterglemm (twice) and Ischgl (last Christmas and in 13 weeks time!) in Austria. We've always had snow, sometimes more than others, we've never ever not been able to ski. Christmas Day is nearly always lovely and sunny too! There's no better way to spend Christmas with your family. Don't be reluctant, it's magic. Especially in Austria, where they go to so much effort to make the place look stunning and atmospheric.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
northantsred - whilst I'm normally an advocate of DIY holidays, I'd have thought you're too close to Christmas to get a good deal on flights (or even get a ferry crossing) now.

I agree with RachelQ - there's no better place to be at Christmas than on the slopes. Father Christmas always seems to bring snow with him. I suspect that, secretly, he may be a snowHead wink
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
High in French Alps and you can't go to wrong or at least have easy access to high in the French Alps. Anywhere in Les Arcs/La Plagne area gives you access to 425Km of skiing.

Questions would arise over the skill level of skiers or the kind of skiing you are looking for. Puzzled
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
northantsred, Last 3 Christmas's have been in Chalets in French Alps and all have been enjoyable. First thing is of course to decide on a resort - from experience I'd suggest either Les Arcs, La Plangne or 3V as they all have a wide variety of runs to suit a mixed group.

In all of them various UK run ski schools also operate which I would recommend for teaching kids - New Generation etc

THen chaletfinder.co.uk is a good place to look for Chalets - mixture of both catered and self-catered.

For what you are asking for, I can't see that a TO will be able to offer you anything above and beyond what you want
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
northantsred, We would be happy to help in our chalet in Alpe d'Huez. We do offer an all inclusive package with flights, however if you would rather arrange your own that is no problem. We are happy to be flexible and can organise as much or as little of your holiday as you would like us too! We offer special discounts to fellow Snowheads as well. ADH is a high altitude resort with a glacier and we have faired very well snow wise in previous seasons over the Christmas period.

Have a look at our website and get in touch if you think we can help snowHead
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
northantsred, we'd love to help you but we're booked for Xmas week, you need to look at historical snow records as well as resort height for the best chance of snow at Xmas. You could find you've got more options this year as lots of people have been put off by the poor start to last season.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It's a great idea, and makes a super family Christmas, especially when there's a wide range of ages, because everyone can get out and have fun doing their own thing.
With only two groups to organise, I'd go independent too. It's not like you have to coordinate ten separate people. Chaletfinder is excellent for accomodation, or Chaletsdirect. Also, with those kind of groupings, you'd probably save a lot of money by driving it.

Pros and cons of the various places we've been...

Portes de Soleil - The Christmas eve celebrations at Les Gets warmed even my cold cold heart, Santa skis down the mountain and gets in a cherrypicker on the little tourist train, and chuffs through town giving out little pressies. Chrismas Lunch at Babettes near Chatel was a wonderful chintzy treat. Cheesy I know but that's the special Christmas joy innit?
Cons - fabulous snow when we went, but you might not be so lucky. Avoriaz would be a safer bet, but not everyone likes the architecture(I do!) though the horse drawn sledges are cute.

Tignes - Didn't have the ridiculously charming celebrations when we were there, but you are certain of good snow. Again, not the most heavily endowed with Alpine charm, though they are trying hard to improve it, and I thought it looked noticeably better the last time i was there.

Chamonix - Obviously I'm a bit biased but I'll try to be objective! Previously we've gone a deux for christmas here, but we had a family gathering at the chalet last New Year with kids ages 9-15 and parents in their 60s, and it was a huge hit. Pros - a surprisingly good family resort in spite of its reputation, it lends itself very well to mixed ability groups, we found. Plenty more than skiing on offer and teenagers like the "extreme" reputation. Proper town, nice Christmas celebrations. Cons - the village is quite low so snow, though very likely, is not guaranteed at village level. Has very little ski-in/out.

I'd love to try Austria one year, I've never heard of anyone not having a good time there at Christmas.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
northantsred,

If you don't want to try high France Ischgl has a pretty solid snow record as has St Anton Lech etc. It can be difficult getting accommodation there though. When we wanted Ischgl for Xmas /New Year we ended up going to Galtur which has a nice little area of its own and has a bus link to Ischgl as well as a shared lift pass. you can also drive between the two if you have a car with you.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
firebug,
Quote:

I'd love to try Austria one year, I've never heard of anyone not having a good time there at Christmas

If 'cheesy' is your thing, you should. More graven images, lights (er, lampshades, anyone?) hackneyed tunes, dirndls and twee-ness than you can shake a stick at! rolling eyes
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Sounds ace, I quite like a bit of festive cheese once in a while!
I imagine lots of people in tight rompers and fluoro ski boots dancing on tables to oompah techno renditions of christmas carols also. Smile

Are you going to shatter my treasured illusions? Laughing
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
firebug wrote:
Are you going to shatter my treasured illusions?

Not if you'd rather I didn't! wink
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
northantsred, You might care to consider Saas Fee in Switzerland - I went there for Christmas last year. It's a pretty, traffic- free village with its own glacier, so some snow is guaranteed. I posted about my trip on this thread.
I went with Inghams and stayed at the Hotel Elite (which did excellent meals) Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
northantsred,

http://www.peisey-info.com/Photos/Photo56.htm

We weren't there last year, but thats what its looked like on previous years snowHead
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Lake Louise! We loved it so much that after 12 years of holidays we are now finally living here Very Happy (moved to Canmore just down the road on 1st August). For the past 3 weeks now every time it rains, there is fresh snow on the mountain tops and yesterday I reckon the early morning snow line was down to about 100m from the town snowHead. The season opens mid November and they have excellent snow making facilities so we have never had a Christmas and New Year there without at least 'decent' conditions and frequently they are excellent. Only problem (for those who think there is anything that matters more than snow quantity and quality Puzzled ) is that it does tend to be a little cold around that time of year.
snow report
looks like my mate has persuaded us all to go to La Plagne 1800, deposits deposited. it looks an expansive ski area but it also looks soulless, am I right?
ski holidays
solarfish, good for you. Stayed in Canmore a couple of times (Canadian Rockies Chalets). Fond memories of the place. Considering possibly moving out that way at some point in the future. Vancouver maybe. Just an idea at the moment.
latest report
northantsred, you could say soulless I suppose. But expansive indeed.

I stayed in 1800 a couple of years ago. I think there's 1 primary bar in 1800 (and another bar all alone by the chair lift, that gets few customers).

Just thank your lucky stars you're not staying in the dry-docked ferry that is 2000.

Dunno why, but Paradiski just didn't do anything for me. Give me Espace Killy, 3 valleys, or Portes du Soleil any day (even when there's poor snow).

On reflection I think Les Arcs has a slight edge over La Plagne.
snow report
northantsred,
If your group has the ability and you have the right conditions look beyond the piste and La Plagne can become a special place.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy