Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Low Visabilitiy Goggle Lenses

Poster: A snowHead
As it says in the title, after a couple of bad flat light / low vis days last year I am wondering about investing in some.

What do you guys think, are they a gimmick or do they work. I am not expecting a complete transformation but any help in those conditions has got to be good. Normally a tight wad when it comes to gadgets and gizmos but if there are any good manufacturers/ products out there I would be prepared to invest.

Have done a bit of googleing on it but dont trust the manufacturers spin as usual.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Gilberts Fridge, do mean a standard yellow or orange lens? Yes, they make a big difference. I have interchangeable lens for my goggles - dark for sunny days and yellow for overcast days. You're right to say that it won't be a complete transformation in seeing conditions, but it does help.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Gilberts Fridge,

Not that you would want to buy them if budget is the concern but go to the Oakley site and pick snow googles and then click on the lenses tab to get an idea of how certain type of tints work in certain light.

The best for flat light are yellows and oranges and it is a good idea to have a set that will allow changeable lenses for flat to medium light. For example, you might find that the best low light lenses will let in too much light on a bright day.
And if you decide to put money in good lenses, you'll have to look after them and not get them scratched, because there is nothing more annoying than a good optical lense with a b****y scratch in it.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
rob@rar, Thanks. TBH I didnt know there was a standard, I have seen the manufacturers descriptions of lense colour and light transmission grading for various light conditions as per Oakley and a few others http://oakley.com/pd/3311. As I said its that I dont trust the manufacturers advertising. Good to know that they do make some difference anything that gives you and advantage in those conditions is worth investigating.

Not sure if i'll go for interchangable lenses, I have a reasonable pair for good conditions and would more than likely keep the new pair in my pocket for when the conditions change.

I know its all personal opinion but what brand are your goggles and are you happy with them.

As an asside found this whilst googleing,http://www.snowhead.co.uk/, is ADMIN expanding Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Gilberts Fridge wrote:
I know its all personal opinion but what brand are your goggles and are you happy with them.

I have a few pairs - cheap Oakleys, Smith and Dragon IIRC. They are all much of a muchness as far as I can tell. I have interchangeable lenses for the Smith and Dragon goggles and normally decide in the morning whether to go for dark or yellow. For days when I wear sunglasses I also have interchangeable lenses.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
JT, Thanks for that you got in whilst Î was replying to rob@rar. Not normally one to splash out but I will on this occassion if these are as good as the brands say. The Oakley site promises a lot hopefully they deliver as well.

I think both your replies have helped me decide that although they will not make me see the light on poor vis days they will be a usefull addition.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Mon 24-09-07 8:56; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I swear by Pink/Rose tinted goggles (seriously) Bolle do them amongst others & I have used them for the last 2 years and I am really impressed

If you think about it this makes sense, a rubbish lens colour for flat light
is blue as it is the same end of the colour spectrum as the flat light (or something like that) Yellow is the other end of the spectrum so that's why they work, red is further away from blue still so they must work even better

Plus rose tinted goggles also have the added benefit of making your skiing seem better than
you remember snowHead
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Gilberts Fridge,

Check out http://www.spyoptic.com/cat.php?k=61855 as their lenses are very good, IMV and you can get some good prices in the UK. More of a boarder brand and not mainstream atm, hence the price break, again, IMV.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
On a budget and searching for an all rounder - I went for Persimmon lenses in Oakley A frames. They are pretty good in flat light but bearable in bright sunny conditions.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Scarpa, same for me, they work real well as all rounders and if it is blazing sun i wear sunglasses....
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
skimottaret, I am now looking for the same goggle (they fit my face perfectly) in a dark lens.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
wrongsideof30, I've got a pair of them, they are excellent in poor light.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Scarpa wrote:
skimottaret, I am now looking for the same goggle (they fit my face perfectly) in a dark lens.

Why not just get an additional lens? Not much point in having two pairs of the same goggles if all you want is a different colour lens. Try here, for examples.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Personally I think the idea of low visability goggles sounds positively dangerous snowHead
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Megamum wrote:
Personally I think the idea of low visability goggles sounds positively dangerous snowHead

After a little while you realise that experienced skiers don't really need to see where they are going, they just use The Force. Low visibility goggles just prove how hardcore you are.
snow report
rob@rar, Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
Scarpa wrote:

Why not just get an additional lens? Not much point in having two pairs of the same goggles if all you want is a different colour lens. Try here, for examples.

The Oakleys are a pain to change, and they are the ones that fit my mush. Easier to have a spare pair in rucksack IMHO.
ski holidays
Thanks for the replies guys, more research to do. Going to look into the Rose tints a little more and some of the other brands that you have all suggested. Cant see much work getting done today ho hum

Megamum, Smile
snow report
My only piece of advice would be not to forget to change them back to standards once the weather clears. Spent a day on the mountain with low-vis lenses when it was glorious cloudless sunshine. My eyes were watering from about midday till midnight. Bad times.... Shocked
snow report
NAKEDZOOKEEPER, me too, and that combined with an allergic reaction to sunscreen... double Shocked
ski holidays
You need interchangable eye-balls. Some people can just see in flat light better than others, regardless of fancy goggle lenses. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
NAKEDZOOKEEPER, Thats why I think I will go for 2 pairs and keep one in the pocket. I know what I'm like and any hint of having to mess arround changing lenses and I wont do it
snow report
Low Vis and a pair of sunnies, can't beat it.
ski holidays
Gilberts Fridge, I thought that, hence the watery eyes, but once I actually gave it a go its fairly easy - and I don't think my goggles are anything special. It's something you can do on a longish chairlift or telecabine ride. The hard case mine came with have little pockets to keep the spare lense and the whole thing just stays in my pack all the time now. They're Smith something or other.

If you haven't already bought, go and try as many on as you can. I spent over half an hour in the shop trying about 5 brands on. As with most ski kit recommendations it's all personal preferance in the end. E.g. lots of people rave about Oakleys but I found thay sat too high on my cheekbones (then I heard lots of reports about Oakleys steaming up a lot??), and that Spy goggles are generally too small for my face. Don't buy before you try!

All this talk of winter, and its forecast to snow down to 1300m on Thursday!!
ski holidays
NAKEDZOOKEEPER, Spot on - I too spent ages trying on loads of brands and models. Some just don't sit right and leave odd gaps for spindrift to get into.
latest report
I have a pair of inexpensive(£20) Smith PMT airflow goggles with persimmon(orange) lenses for low light and snowy conditions. They are good enough for My on-piste skiing. When it's sunny I wear sunglasses.
ski holidays
Von Zipper do replacement lenses for all of their goggles too.
ski holidays
Rose....I like rose in flat light.

Billie Piper pic anyone?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

user
Posts: 136As it says in the title, after a couple of bad flat light / low vis days last year I am wondering about investing in some.

What do you guys think, are they a gimmick or do they work. I am not expecting a complete transformation but any help in those conditions has got to be good. Normally a tight wad when it comes to gadgets and gizmos but if there are any good manufacturers/ products out there I would be prepared to invest.

Have done a bit of googleing on it but dont trust the manufacturers spin as usual. Mon Sep 24, 07

OAKLEY VR28 lenses cover a massive range of usage if you don't want the hassle of "interchanging"
snow conditions
I have oakleys with persimon lenses. they are fine, really, but i'm looking for an excuse to replace them with Smith googles with the Sensor Mirror. A mate has the Smiths and the are much better in really flat light.
snow report
Right I finally made a purchase which, after all my good intentions was a bit rushed. With a cheeky trip to Roccaraso looming I only had the option of a nearby Decathlon, apart from one pair of Smiths all were own brand.

Took NAKEDZOOKEEPERs, advice and tried a few on in a pretty gloomy part of the shop, the ones that had the best effect in the shop were the cheepest Decathlon brand at €19 but were the most uncomfortable so settled on a compromise pair at €24 with a yellow lense. There was a pair of Pink tints but they were no where near as good as the yellows.

Tried them at Roccaraso and again this weekend at Campo Felice and they were worth every Cent. I bought Mrs fridge a pair as well and we both said that it was like some one switched the lights off when we took them off. Very glad to have them in the day pack.

I was prepared to spend a fair amount of money on the right pair but very glad a cheapo brand came through in the end.

once again thanks for your help guys
latest report
After I emailed her the ebay link, Mrs/Dr Doggy bought me Oakley Wisdoms with Hi intensity yellow (used to be called blue) lenses. Were great in low light in Alpe D'huez at NY. When sun came our sunnies were the order of the day.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy