Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Al Gore To Win Nobel Prize

Poster: A snowHead
Excuse me while I ROFL:

http://thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article310022.ece
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Correction. That should say 'The Noebel Prize'.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Whitegold,

ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Think of the energy that has been used up in making what he eats Toofy Grin

Thats a couple of glaciers melted Puzzled rolling eyes
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
And indeed he did, jointly with the IPCC. BBC report.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Sorry what "peace" exactly has Al organised?

Apparently his mansion back in the US can consumes double the average yearly american home in just one month! And let's not forget the world tour promoting his hollywood blockbuster movie and now no doubt a global lap of honour.

The nobel committee said
"it wanted to bring the increased danger of violent conflicts and wars, within and between states posed by climate change into sharper focus"

what crap, far more pressing excuses for war and violence. Unless we're going to see snow rage as masses of skiers and boarders fight for the right to ski the last remaining snow.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Absurd!
A film that has been significantly de-bunked in court.
A very, very political award.

Think about it....if he had been a french politician who made the same broadly anti-american consumption film would it have got the award?
No chance...it is because he is american, and has been "anti" american (oooh, what courage, what integrity) that he got it.

What a load of codswallop.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rungsp,

A film that had 9 errors, some of which were no more than using saying "exact correlation" rather than "close correlation"

I would have thought that Peace includes a preventative element, and if we can avoid major water shortages and population movements relating to climate change that would be good. If he can get the USA inside the tent pissing out rather than vice versa - that would be a bonus!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
"A film that had 9 errors, some of which were no more than using saying "exact correlation" rather than "close correlation"

Carbon levels cause increased warming or warming causes increased carbon levels? Al gave one answer as if the scientific truth, this is a much debated point.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/core/Matt/pMattTemplate.jhtml;jsessionid=Z1UNFBN1QQ5WRQFIQMFSFGGAVCBQ0IV0
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Please bear in mind he comes from the same former vice president gene pool as Dan Quale. Good for him, obviously "care in the community" is working.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Unbelievable. Sad to see that a soundbite merchant has pulled the wool over the eyaes of those who should know better.

Like others, I'm struggling with the correlation between 'peace prize' and 'climate chnage campaigner'. Puzzled
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rungsp wrote:
What a load of codswallop.

Absa...blooming...lutely, the mere mention of global warming does seem to make a number of people here talk utter codswallop, this thread being a fantastic example rolling eyes

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Fri 12-10-07 23:00; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stoatsbrother wrote:
...if we can avoid major water shortages

A warmer global climate would release water locked up in ice and circulate it between the liquid and gaseous phases. I cannot see how there can be less ice and less rain.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
roga, wink
ski holidays
rungsp wrote:
Absurd!
A film that has been significantly de-bunked in court.

To quote:
"Did you actually read what the judge said?

The Times covered this in rather good detail. The parts of the film that were considered unfounded:

* That sea levels could rise seven metres 'in the immediate future'
* That atolls in the Pacific had already been evacuated
* That CO2 levels and temperatures are 'an exact fit' - this, said the judge, overstated the case
* That the drying of Lake Chad, the disappearance of snows on Kilimanjaro, and Hurricane Katrina can be directly attributed to global warming
* That polar bears are known to be drowning as a result of melting ice
* That coral bleaching is due to climate change

Note what the judge did not dispute: he agreed 'that climate change is mainly attributable to man-made emissions of carbon dioxide, methane and nitrous oxide ('greenhouse gases').' He further agreed that 'global temperatures are rising and are likely to continue to rise, that climate change will cause serious damage if left unchecked, and that it is entirely possible for governments and individuals to reduce its impacts'.

"
The IPCC and numerous other scientific bodies agree that "The probability that warming of the climate system is caused by natural climatic processes alone is less than 5%.". If you feel in a position to disagree with these findings please feel free to post your studies and findings here, as I am sure a number of institutions and universities would be interested in your expertise.

Roy Hockley wrote:
Please bear in mind he comes from the same former vice president gene pool as Dan Quale. Good for him, obviously "care in the community" is working.

Yea you are right, The same gene pool as Thomas Jefferson, Gerald Ford, Theodore Roosevelt, Gerald Ford and others......
WTF are you trying to get at?
jmdohanlon wrote:
Unbelievable. Sad to see that a soundbite merchant has pulled the wool over the eyaes of those who should know better.

Care to elaborate?

Considering that the scientific community believes that "most of the warming observed over the last 50 years is attributable to human activities" who should know better here? Maybe it's time to look in the mirror?

PS Sorry if this sounds very confrontational .. but I'm sick of this ...
snow conditions
Diarmud is spot on.

Personally I have found it shocking the sheer denial that the ski community has in relation to global warming. Wishing away the problem won't make the glaciers come back.
latest report
If the science is flawed or disputed, not proven, contested..whatever, then this can't really be a good enough body of work to get recognised at such ( supposedly ) a high level
ski holidays
JT, Science is almost never 100% proved and almost always contested. That is because it is a process of enquiry rather than an end of enquiry. And this wasn't a Science Prize, and it was mainly rewarded for Gor'es campaigning efforts - not the film - for which the correct award was the Oscar.

A lot of those who have been promoting the counter view in the press have financial links to Big Oil in the US or political axes to grind. If you view the potential effects of climate change seriously this becomes a health, peace and political issues. The trouble is that it is "inconvenient" to take it seriously, and I am as bad as most of us at that Embarassed
snow conditions
killian wrote:
Diarmud is spot on.

Personally I have found it shocking the sheer denial that the ski community has in relation to global warming. Wishing away the problem won't make the glaciers come back.

They are expanding of course in New Zealand. But warming generally has been happening since the last ice age.
ski holidays
Diarmuid, I tell you WTF, I am getting at. This film/documentary is brought out by someone trying to resurect some sort of political life. Some of his theories are bunkum, some are lies. This however is not my major gripe. I will follow leaders, I will not follow hypocrites. Set your own house in order and then ask people to follow. He like a certain Irish lead singer in a band asks us to change, he has never asked us to follow.

The mans credentials are shot! I should ask him which year exactly will I not be able to ski in my home resort. And when he does I will not travel in the carbon gusseling private jet that he uses, nor use ridiculous amounts of electricity to heat and light my house/mansion. To placate his fears he is buying his way out of his carbon footprint and planting trees. Maybe HE should follow us and watch his behaviour carefully!
ski holidays
stoatsbrother,

Yes, vested interest all round, both sides, including Gore's carear.
latest report
JT wrote:
stoatsbrother,

Gore's rear.

Unlike the glaciers that definitely ain't reducing in size Toofy Grin
latest report
Diarmuid wrote:
The IPCC and numerous other scientific bodies agree that "The probability that warming of the climate system is caused by natural climatic processes alone is less than 5%."

That itself is an incredibly imprecise - bordering on the unscientific - statement. It could mean that 1% of warming is due to man-made factors or 99%. It could even mean that 200% is due to man-made factors, in other words that without the man-made factors we would be undergoing a significant cooling. Given that the earth hasn't warmed at all in the last 5-6 years, it could be the man-made and natural factors are currently opposite and equal, keeping the world's climate in rough balance.
snow conditions
laundryman wrote:
.....That itself is an incredibly imprecise - bordering on the unscientific - statement..........

Which is how this argument progresses, IMO. Query it, and you are 'In Denial'. rolling eyes
snow report
Embarassed

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Sat 13-10-07 10:56; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Opinions amongst climate scientists about Al Gore's movie seemed to be 'broadly accurate, bit unhappy about presentational style'. (See for example: RealClimate.org, James Annan).

You can read the recent judgement on An Inconvenient Truth here, it's amazing the variety of stories which can be squeezed out of one little document. The judge seems to have found the documentary "broadly accurate", using the IPCC reports as a benchmark for accuracy. The IPCC AR4 (WG1 - Chapter 4 p356) shows that glaciers have been retreating since ~1850 and that "...glacier wastage in the late 20th century is essentially a response to post-1970 global warming (Greene, 2005)", doesn't seem to mention Kilmanjaro explicitly.

Interestingly the man that brought the case is a member of the New Party, who seem to have backed his action (they seem to have accidently given themselves the same name as Oswald Mosley's party) and the "Scientific Alliance" which has provided some of the 'talking heads' over the last few days was set up by the same businessman that set up the New Party.

Coverage of the case seems to have been a bit of a propaganda victory for the New Party. At least the IPCC and Al Gore can console themselves with their 'Nobel Peace Prize'.
snow conditions
waynos,
Unless I'm reading his post completely wrong, Diarmuid is actually saying that the points he notes are the only ones which the judge did uphold
rolling eyes
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Okay, I've re-read what Diarmuid said, I stand corrected i missed the double negative way he expressed quotes from the times which weren't actually quotes from the times.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy