Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tips for driving to la plagne and doing it on a budget.

Poster: A snowHead
I would like to go skiing in La Plagne this season and would like to do it as cheap as possible. I assumed this meant driving , self catering , no lessons etc. Does anybody have any good tips on how to ski on a budget, ferry crossings , tunnel , good places to stay etc.

Regards

Chris
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If you're flexible on when you go I'd say that you'll probably get the cheapest price if you can pick up a last minute booking with a tour operator. How many of you will be travelling in your party? If you can squeeze four or five people into a car yopu might want to consider staying somewhere like Bourg St Maurice - valley town, valley prices, but with a 7 minute funicular ride up to Les Arcs.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There is either going to be 8 or 4 , 2 adults + 2 kids in each party depending on whether the other family can afford to go. My budget is 2K for my family not including spending / food / diesel we dont need ski lessons. Only need 1 adult hire and 2 kids hire. Does that seem possible. Last time I went it was catered chalet and all in it ended up at 4K.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
cmyers_uk, When do you hope to visit La Plagne? I will check out a few options for you.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Try http://www.cgski.co.uk catered chalet in Plagne Montalbert
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
switch the engine off on downhill sections, save money and save the world Very Happy
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
cmyers_uk, did a DIY trip to La Pagne in March but got flights and hire cars to the resort.

Check out www.la-plagne.com for accomodation. Five of us got a decent 5-bed apartment in Plagne Villages (great ski-in/ski-out location) for about £75 each. Plagne Villages is at 2050m so is high up and there are loads of runs aroud it so you can be out of the door and straight on the slope. Plus, it's a quick two-minute board/ski down into Plagne Centre where you get the cable car up to Grand Rochette, a great spot to start.

Flights from Coventry to Grenoble with Thomson cost £90 (expensive because we left it until last minute to book them) and we hired a clio and a VW Touran MPV for £55 each. Grenoble is a 2.5 hour drive from La Plagne.

The lift pass is about £130 for a local (La Plagne) pass and about £160 for a Paradiski pass.

We're looking at driving next year but I doubt it's much cheaper when you take into account tolls, fuel, ferry or Eurtunnel, plus breakdown cover and insurance extras.

The good thing about getting a flight out there is it's less hassle and with the cars, we stopped off at a Hypermarket in Albertville and did a week's shop, saving ourselves loads in the process. Eating in is the best way to save money.

January is as cheap as chips though, plus it's pretty empty. We went with Crystal the first week of this year and it costs us £170 each including flights, transfers and a decent slope-side apartment in Belle Plagne.

Just keep checking the Crystal or Neilson sites for deals and you can pick up a very cheap last minute deal.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
for your ferry crossing check out speedferries.com, always seem to get really good prices off them

also if you drive missing the autoroute and going on the route national will save you only about 50 euros so its probably not worth the extra time and effort.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
cmyers_uk, I find you need 4 people in a car to balance out flights at around £100-120 per head, and the arithmetic is even less helpful if you have to stay overnight en route. Formule 1 hotels (they are often to be found on the outskirts of bigger towns, near the autoroute, good website) are very cheap and despite moans about lack of private bathrooms etc are a good bet for budget travelling non-moaners! In ski season there is always the risk of bad weather conditions slowing you down (not just snow, which is exciting, but freezing fog which definitely isn't) and unexpected costs of meals and accommodation as a result. Some people say their kids love the journey down my car; mine didn't! In fact they preferred coach travel, which is the cheapest of all - usually around £50-60 per head. They liked flying best, First Class if possible, please Mummy.

I agree that cheap last minute package deals are a good bet and La Plagne is so big you will probably find something. We found that last minute half price catered chalets could be cheaper than self catering, because without a car you are stuck with expensive resort shops. Our first family ski holiday we went self catering for 2 weeks in Austria (not much more expensive than one week) and our baggage included a pressure cooker, quite a bit of food,skis hired in Ayr (cheaper in those days) and Granny. Lift passes are the big killer - no cheaper in January than at half term, but inescapable! Some resorts do family deals though, always worth checking on their websites. £2K not including spending, food, diesel should be easily manageable. If you are keen to drive, look at Erna Low who do good deals including self catering accommodation and ferry travel. If you are a Tesco Clubcard fan you can use Tesco vouchers to get 4 to 1 savings on Eurotunnel.

You could also look at operators like Snowcoach and Ski Olympic who offer coach travel. I got a very good bargain from the former, for a trip including 7 kids, by booking at the London ski show (coming up in October). The kids got big discounts sharing a big dorm style room, which they turned into a complete pigsty and loved. I also got free insurance for everyone and free gear hire for the kids.

Good luck, I hope you all make it! Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
cmyers_uk, to add to my already long post above... just looked at Erna Low, you can get accommodation for 4 in La Plagne including a ferry crossing for less than £500 (a little more for a bit more space). Plus, if booked soon, 50% off an adult lift pass, per apartment. And there are other offers on their website too.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
cmyers_uk, .... most of the options have already been posted here ... Marvellous snowHead 's .... !

.... but if you need any information on La Roche (Ski hamlet for the gentry .. Toofy Grin Just below La Plagne with new rapid 6-person de-luxe padded chair Very Happy snowHead ), PM me, or google 'La Roche'.

Your budget as stated is more than adequate, but if you want to ski at half term then you might be adivsed to book early as pam w, suggests. La Plagne is a popular resort given its altitude and will be busy this coming season.

Have fun.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
BernardC wrote:
.... but if you need any information on La Roche

Doing some exploring this year, found that lovely red down to La Roche and a great new chair back up. snowHead
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
gwaelod, .... it doesn't exist .... it's all in your mind .... your were dreaming ..... wink

Also one of Admin,'s favourite runs home I believe Very Happy

It's interesting coming down there about 10pm at night with a head torch & my local French neighbours, who should know better .... I have been badly led astray ..... Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
BernardC,
Quote:

It's interesting coming down there about 10pm at night with a head torch & my local French neighbours, who should know better .... I have been badly led astray .....

Laughing Coming down from where at 10pm??? snowHead
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
boredsurfin, .... from where we set off .... Laughing
snow report
Quote:

if you want to ski at half term then you might be adivsed to book early as pam w, suggests

yes, sorry, those cheap deals are only in the January quiet/cheap time, which is also the only time I ever considered taking kids on holiday. The words "budget" and "ski" don't go together well, but "budget" "ski" and "half-term".....
ski holidays
graeme,
Quote:

switch the engine off on downhill sections

I did that aged 17 with my first car...turned off the key forgot about the steering lock..crashed the car!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
cmyers_uk, I've sent you a cheeky P.M. Ditch the Karma. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Thank you everyone for the advice which has been appriciated. Pam w good point about budget and ski. I actually want to drive rather than fly / coach (dont like flying or coaches), I enjoy driving and with DVD's & iPods the kids are silent and are used to doing long journeys.

Regards
Chris
ski holidays
cmyers_uk wrote:
Thank you everyone for the advice which has been appriciated. Pam w good point about budget and ski. I actually want to drive rather than fly / coach (dont like flying or coaches), I enjoy driving and with DVD's & iPods the kids are silent and are used to doing long journeys.

Regards
Chris

In that case then a friday afternoon Eurotunnel is the biziniess and then push on aiming to overnight near Lyon where there are stacks of formule 1 or IBIS hotels off the motorway. Pre book if busy, and push on in the morning to get up the mountain. Even stopping for a food run I've been skiis on by 10:30am (own kit though) which is nice. Do some leisurely cruising stop for lunch..a couple of hours in the arvo and run for home.

On the way back we've skiied all day laeaving around 4pm, and then made it up to reims for an over-nigth stop then it's just a 3 hour blat the following morning to dover.

Just don't park at the service station in front of an 8inch wall and then swap drivers....cruch was the first sound I heard as my mate tried to pull out of the spot..
snow report
cmyers_uk wrote:
My budget is 2K for my family not including spending / food / diesel we dont need ski lessons.

Cant see any mention of how long you plan to go for?If its 2 weeks,you're about on the money for a 'budget' trip.Personally,I detest that word Mad It implies cheap and nasty to me.I feel 'value' is a better description.For some years now I have allocated £1k a week for us(family of 4)and have always returned with change Very Happy And that sum includes everything.True,I rarely hire ski's as we all prefer our own;but have on the odd occasion.I used to fly,but now drive.Have found B&B Hotels a good choice for a half way stop(Dijon or Troyes)Bookable on line,and you get a good,eat as much as you want,breakfast.I use Speedferries(as I buy a supervoucher).You will be hard pressed to beat them on price across the season.
I actually find it quite easy to come in under a grand a week;and I never cease to be amazed at how much some people spend(waste)for a weeks skiing Shocked Though we go self catering,we rarely eat in(except breakfast)and find going S/C gives us far more flexibility.We've done the catered thing 3 times.1st time....fantastic.2nd....OK but nothing special.3rd...frankly,bloody awful.Would need a good recommendation to risk it again.
Check out the La Plagne site for offers.They run them every season,but you need to search them out.Often have combined apartment/pass deals.Don't worry too much about location,its all well lift served.IMHO,a family would find it hard to ski La Plagne from Bourg.Yes,its connected,but you would need a Paradiski pass..and good timing to get the last lift back(and funicular down) wink
My advice....research,make decision,get in early...and book.Yes,last minute deals exist,but rarely better early special offers,and severely limit your choices.BTW,I have found my spend has actually fallen in the last couple of years...must be getting something right wink It also means I can maintain my average of 3 to 4 weeks skiing each winter Very Happy
latest report
snowskisnow, .... great post Very Happy
ski holidays
You might be able to save quite a lot on tolls by travelling Route Nationale rather then Autoroute wherever you can. No tolls, and more of a flavour of France (including meal breaks!). Slower, of course. But often not by as much as you might think.
snow report
achilles wrote:
You might be able to save quite a lot on tolls by travelling Route Nationale rather then Autoroute wherever you can. No tolls, and more of a flavour of France (including meal breaks!). Slower, of course. But often not by as much as you might think.

Not convinced that avoiding tolls is worth it Puzzled In the big scheme of things amongst a car load it adds up to very little, does it not Puzzled snowHead
ski holidays
gwaelod, that's up to cmyers_uk to decide. I think the tolls would be about £70 for the return trip (for the entire car load).
snow report
achilles wrote:
gwaelod, that's up to cmyers_uk to decide. I think the saving would be about £70 for the return trip.

Wasn't criticing was asking a geunine question. Is there a genuine saving to be had in not paying the £70 Puzzled
ski holidays
gwaelod, Puzzled You are obviously well-heeled. To me, in France, £70 pays for a meal in a restaurant for the 4 in the car. That said, I would probably take the autoroute. But on occasions when I have gone Route Nationale I have rather enjoyed myself.
snow report
cmyers_uk, Just to bump this back up........early offers are on the La Plagne site now... http://www.la-plagne.com/en/index.php?id=5 Go to Packages-On Line Booking-Special Offer Weeks.Various dates across the season,Sat or Sun arrival.A quick look around shows an apartment for 4/5(mostly in Belle Plagne)at around £700 inc LP passes...£800 inc Paradiski passes.Factor in fuel and food and you should come in under a grand.You'll get an even better price for two weeks..but that will take a phone call(don't worry,usually good English spoken)
Another good bet is direct to the booking agents,though names and No's can take a bit of finding.Try 'Oxygene Immobilier' +33479091420( www.oxygene-immobilier.com )Have used them myself..no problem.
Wherever you end up....have a good time snowHead
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
cmyrs_uk

We went to La Plagne last year. If you have your own transport, think of staying in accommodation in one of the valley towns such as Aime or Macot. Its a lot cheaper although you do have a 10 min drive to get to some of the lower villages such as Montalbert or 30 mins or so to get to the resort level. You can get piste access from either village or resort level.

On the autoroute, local road question, my vote is that you'd be crazy not to use the autoroutes. Secondary roads are much slower and don't bypass towns hamlets and villages in the main. For such a long journey, you need to use the autoroute and cough up the tolls.

Finally, travel in January or March if you can.

I've only scanned the thread so apologies if I've repeated advice already given etc.

P
ski holidays
Best way of keeping costs down in La Plagne is to avoid using any of the mountain restaurants.

Some of the bars in Plagne Centre, notably No'blem, have happy hours.
snow report
www.maeva.com is a great web site for cheap self catering in most French ski resorts.

bon ski.
latest report
In terms of doing the journey by car cheaply, it is not that far and can easily be done in a day, even easier if their are two drivers. The cost of overnight stops really puts the price up. Time is lost when stopping for meals so take a cool bag with sandwiches or pick up fresh bread and fillings from the fuel halt supermarket. Confine the halts to Fuel, loo & coffee from the machine. As there are two adults, one pays for the fuel whilst the other is going to the loo, coffee is organised by whoever is free ie. waiting for the other to exit the loo.(can all be done in 15mins and my car takes 90lts) Get back on the road as soon as possible because any time you waste during the journey extends the arrival time and that is when it starts to hurt. The debate about not paying the tolls is silly, because it might mean you save €70 and spent €100 for overnight accom plus you will need to eat and on top of that you loose a day!!!
latest report
Haggis_Trap wrote:
www.maeva.com is a great web site for cheap self catering in most French ski resorts.

I'd overlooked that one....and I've used them myself Embarassed Well worth a look.As for doing it in a day? Well,only the individual knows his kids boredom tolerance...and his/her's tolerance to endless hours behind the wheel Sad Personally,its not for me(or my family),plus we quite enjoy the overnight stop.I am the only driver,which obviously makes a big difference.Having said that,I would still prefer a more leisurely journey.
snow report
Check out the train.

Not the 'Snowtrain', as that is priced specially for the Brits. Look at the best deals you can find on EuroStar to Paris, then standard SNCF sleeper train overnight to Aime La Plagne. Eurostar is quite reasonable if you book fairly well ahead, and particularly if you are prepared to travel on the less convenient departures and spend some time in Paris (harsh!). The French government are keen on encouraging public transport, so there are some special prices for people travelling with children - I think the idea is to wean kids of car dependency while they are still young.

Going this route has lots of benefits, but two important ones are that you get extra skiing time in (by arriving at 6.00 a.m. and departing about 10.00 in the evening on your last day), plus you save two nights accommodation by spending those nights sleeping on the train.

There are municipal busses available when you arrive at Aime La Plagne, costing just a few Euros.

My only other tip is that the standard SNCF sleeper does not offer much luggage space - unlike the more expensive Snow Train that has a whole carriage set aside for skis etc. If you can stretch to it, book one more child space than you actually need - shouldn't add much more than £20 - and you will then have an extra bunk for your kit. If you can book and pay 2 extra child spaces, for a family of 4 travelling you can then get an entire 6-berth couchette to yourselves.
snow report
I pay for my ferry with tesco club card vouchers so nomally only costs be £20 worth of shopping. Tolls and fuel works out around £200 for my MPV which mormally has 5 people. Add in a few snacks/red bulls for the journey and your looking about £250

Compare that with friends who fly to exact same place and have paid nearly £1000 for 5 flights and transfers. A huge saving!

Oh and we leave the Uk friday night and are in resort and on the slopes saturday afternoon!
snow report
Other tips for driving; avoid the tolls! You can do several things;
1) you can do it for free by going calais, belgium, luxembourg, back into france, into switzerland (through geneva), back into france, Annecy, etc. Takes 12 hours as opposed to 9.

This also means you can get fuel in Luxembourgh where diesel is about 66-67p a litre!

2) (my favourite) you can go the obvious route via reims on the autoroute, but then take the Route National between Challons en Champagne and Chaumont (a lot of this is free dual carriageway). Then before you get to Lyon take the road to geneva then go to Annecy. This takes about 10.5 hours.

Driving works out cheaper than flying for the two of us as we have to go in the school holls (I'm a teacher). Plus you can bring back beer and wine. And you can get food and drink in the cheaper shops in the valley. And you don't have lug your skiis to the airport and trust them to baggage handlers. etc.
snow report
Quote:
Other tips for driving; avoid the tolls! You can do several things;
1) you can do it for free by going calais, belgium, luxembourg, back into france, into switzerland (through geneva), back into france, Annecy, etc. Takes 12 hours as opposed to 9.

icenutter

Welcome but thats madness Shocked
snow report
Mad, but it costs about £80 less in tolls! I guess being scottish and living in yorkshire makes me tight!
latest report
icenutter wrote:
Mad, but it costs about £80 less in tolls! I guess being scottish and living in yorkshire makes me tight!

Ah that explains it Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
But three hours driving is not cost-free. There's extra fuel (around 45 euros each way?) extra wear and tear, and probably an extra meal/drinks stop. I suppose it depends on the opportunity cost you put on your time. With several people in a car, you are slogging away for a measly few quid an hour. Would you do a Saturday job in a supermarket for that sort of money? I often travel off the autoroute, if time is no object, so I am not an autoroute fanatic by any means, but for a non stop dash to a ski resort in France the péage has to be the best way for most of us.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy