Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BASI Level 1

Poster: A snowHead
I've just completed the Level 1 course - if any one wants a heads up before they do theirs drop me a PM.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
why not post an account of your experince on the course, what is entailed etc? Im sure quite a few people would be interested.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
yeah I'm interested in that, where did you do it, cost and time etc
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'll see if I can write something up that's useful. May take a few days though.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
david@mediacopy, yeah, a report on the course would be good. Talked to the missus about this the other day and I'm keen to do it next year for the 2008/2009 season, so first-hand experience would be nice to read.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
waht actually is it?, what is it for? teaching??
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
British Asssociation of Snowsports Instructors

http://www.basi.org.uk
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Looks like a degree I just finished in Glass - loads of b0llacks and little glass Sad
I am now beginning to understand how that being an instructor does not necessarily mean you are any good at teaching snowboarding Shocked

This is a 5 day training and assessment course in which the following subjects are covered and assessed:

Riding safely
Planning, conducting and evaluating an instructing session
Participating in an accident and emergency activity
Knowing and understanding how to improve personal riding and instructing performance
Understanding of:

The Central Theme and Beyond
The FIS Rules of Conduct
The Principles of Snowboard Teaching
The Structure of Snowsport in the UK
The Roles of Snowsport Agencies in the UK
Marketing and Promoting Snowsport in the UK
Dealing with accidents and emergencies
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Based on the criteria set out on the website, it looks like anyone with the ability to link a few turns could do it (written without trying to sound big-headed).

I fancy doing it at some point, but only when I have five days free and £400 going begging, if only to say "I am a qualified instructor."

I read somewhere that the Level 1 qualification only gives you the opportunity to teach/instruct on dry and indoor slope, not in resorts. Doing it may give you the option to teach at a local ski/board centre (which could come in handy with cash flow) but I suppose he ultimate for most of us would be to up-sticks to the alps or further afield to live and teach what we love doing.

I know Crystal runs academies around the world, but they are intensive courses over several weeks that cost a small fortune!! Think the cheapest is one in the Alps for six-weeeks and still that's well over £3,000!!

Would be cool to do though as a complete change of lifestyle.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Specialman, I think you would be better off spending your money on a McNab course or something similar, unless you desperately want to teach boarding.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Specialman, I've not seen the web site description but based on last weeks pass rate and feedback I'm not sure that "anyone with the ability to link a few turns could do it".

The trainer appeared to be looking to technically proficient riding, making a range of turn shapes and sizes, without any major technical issues. It's rated on a continual assessment basis.

Quite a few of the guys seemed to be able ride well, carving cleanly, but still failed the technical. The first major issue for most (including me) was shoulder rotation. I managed to get it sorted and pass, but most didn't. I think the pass rate was about 40% and 1 guy failed to finish the course.

The other thing that was apparent is if any one is thinking of doing it, try and get some shadowing experience before you go. It will pay dividends on the teaching and with luck hook you up with instructor training and resolve any technical issues.

The course is hard work, I was finishing off at home at 11pm most nights with homework (reading the manual / Lesson Planning) and I was riding from 9 till 6 most days.

That said, my riding came on loads and I learned a lot, and it was a good deal cheaper than doing something similar in the Alps.

rayscoops, I imagine a McNab course would certainly get you set up, but to be fair is probably going to work out at 3 times the price of doing a level 1 in a snowdome. That said a week in Chamonix v a week in a Snowdome is probably going to swing it for most wink
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
david@mediacopy, not knocking it and a necessity if you want to teach boarding,

Did you have to prove your technical riding ability as part of it? looks like you did becasue of your reference to shoulder rotation. I just feel that I would prefer to spend cash learning to board first in a correct manner (no shoulder rotation ?) as it seems a bit strange taking an instructor course and then being failed for my incorrect/alternative riding technique.

How much time was actually spent on boarding/safety/mountain work against the time spent on marketing/uk snowsports/sales etc.

Incidentally my mate who had never boarded before had lessons last year and he was being taught a version of the 'shoulder rotation' to initiate turns, no or little reference to foot pressure, edges etc.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
david@mediacopy, didn't mean to sound a bit bumptious with that comment.

I suppose you can end up being a better rider as a result, conforming to the 'standard' that instructors should then be able to teach to pupils.

Are you going to do anything with the qualification, such as coaching, or did you just do it for yourself to be a better boarder? I know the instructor my mate had at MK t'other week had done his level whatever and spent six months at MK coaching, and then six months out in France working as part of something like ESF. See,s once you have it under your belt, it's an incentive to actually make the leap into being a resident of snowy areas.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Specialman wrote:
david@mediacopy, didn't mean to sound a bit bumptious with that comment.

Cool It sounds like the BASI web site may not be quite on the money and It would be a shame for people to pay up and be disappointed.

I all ready teach skiing, both here in the UK and on snow in Europe and have fancied doing the boarding for a while. I'll use it to teach in the UK but I did the course as much to improve my riding. There were a few things that didn't feel quite right over the Winter (I think i posted some video on here) and thought this would help. I also fancied doing some more training, CPD and all that.

I had a slight advantage as I'd already done the SSE version of the course but could not get signed off on the technical as I dislocated a finger on dry slope matting half way through the course and never managed to get a resit sorted. I'm sort of tempted to do the Level 2 for a Alpine licence but would need to put a few weeks in first, which could be a problem. Sad
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
my son will be doing his level 1 in november, he will be 16 in two weeks.

he is only doing the BAS|I course because of the stupid french laws on learning to be a ski moniteur, if he could do it in france he would.

personally i think it is far too easy for pretty much anyone to do this course, they dont need to have had much experience on the mountain which i personally think is more improtant than your standard of riding. Some people with 6 weeks riding experience will be much better than others but still wont have a clue on how to ride sensibly on a mountain.

however my son is a sponsord rider, has been riding for 8 nearly 9 years and has dreamt about being an instructor since he was 5. He is also learning to be a carpenter at a lycee professional here in france, others in his class are doing the same course as him but with ski moniteur as well, he ski's but isn't good enough so we're doing it the uk way. Then we just have to prey that, due to him having the french first aid course, already being involved with an esi school here he can do the rest of the stuff needed before level two here in france.

Fingers crossed!
snow report
Well i definetly don't think that everyone can pass basi level 1, on my course 4 people failed (out of 9).
First of all you have to correctly understand the requisites listed on basi website, when i saw "stand still on a slope" i thought "omg, piece of cake".. well big NO! What they require is being able to stop by engaging the OPPOSITE EDGE. So from a toeside slide you must engage the heelside edge and stop, still facing the mountain (whitout turning). Don't know if youbget what i mean, i'm trying to explain the best i can with my poor english).
Secondly, you must do carved (3/4) turns riding switch.. i don't think this is a "low level skill".
And finally we have been tested in many aspects not listed (yet) on basi website.. this is, i think, because basi is hightning his standards,and the website is not up to date. We were tested on steeps (black runs) and powder (you only had to ride safe to pass, nothing supertechnical), in difficult weather conditions.. probably courses on artificial slopes are easier regarding this aspects (no freeride, no variables..). Big part of the training and assesment was about flatland, in the last day we had to perform a sequence of ollie, nollie, tailpress, nosepress, noseturn, fs and bs 180 and alley-oop, and then to mix these tricks a bit. Again, superfun but not that easy. A difficult part was to, while teaching, return "noob" in order to do correct demos. A good rider failed because he was using his edges too much whilr demoing sideslips..
I would recommend this course to anyone, it is lots of snowbard and you will improve hugely.. but don't expect a " relaxed snowboard camp".. you have to be fully concentrated all the time, show a good attitude and be prepared to work hard Very Happy
latest report
maddrifter, Hope it worked out for you ?

I did mine in a dome but thought at the time the standard required was reasonably demanding, probably more so than the ski level 1.

I see I never did get around to writing anything up....
snow report
Yeah, probably it depends on the single trainer delivering the course, too. Are you working as an instructor now? I'm still missing the first aid course, i should do it in December!
ski holidays
maddrifter, Yep, doing a bit but never got around to the L2 but quite fancy it.
latest report
I know this is a 7 year old thread, but still pretty relevant.

Just to reply to some of the comments above, ALL of the course time is spent on snow. Ride from 9 to 5 (or thereabouts) every day. Usually about 50/50 split between personal performance and teaching.

There are then classroom sessions in the evening, doing lesson planning, teaching theory, video feedback on your personal performance, etc.

The structure/business stuff comes in a handbook, which will be briefly discussed in the evening sessions. You can then read the fine print in your own time.

I'm a level 2 by they way, got most of the boxes ticked for my level 3/4 too. Nearly there! Send me a PM maddrifter / AndAnotherThing if you want any level 2/3 info.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Mon 1-09-14 19:53; edited 1 time in total
latest report
stevomcd, It would probably be the freestyle I'd need to work on most, plus I suspect that cruddy off piste\steeps might be an issue too. I did boarding as the second discipline so am a skier first but would like to brush up my boarding.
latest report
AndAnotherThing.., the level 2 freestyle is really no big deal. Straight air (with a grab) over a smallish kicker (4m). 50-50 on a flat, ride-on box. 180's on the flat.
snow conditions
Cool - so when you say 50-50, is that 'across' ?
snow conditions
Nope, 50-50 means going straight Smile
snow conditions
Yeah, 50-50 = board in line with the box. Super-easy!

http://youtube.com/v/Fvf7DDlvTYk
latest report
maddrifter, stevomcd, There is hope Wink !
snow report
stevomcd wrote:
http://youtube.com/v/Fvf7DDlvTYk

Interesting that the opening clip there uses a stance which I suspect BASI 1 would not like. The arm action there looks very old school.
snow report
philwig, What's the current BASI thinking on stance ?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
philwig, well, it's hardly a BASI video! Dude is doing a powder slash, having fun, not demoing posture, but it looks like he's still riding a duck stance. The "stance" section of the video is pretty-much textbook BASI.

AndAnotherThing.., duck stance is strongly encouraged (although I'm not aware that it's actually compulsary). Width, angles are up to you, whatever works and is comfortable. If a trainer thinks your stance is holding you back, he'll tell you. Seen a few super-wide-stance park dudes get told to bring it in a bit. Other than that, shoulders-aligned-with-board-at-all-times is the norm at the lower levels (except for freestyle) but it's recognised at level 3 that some upper-body rotation can be OK.
latest report
BTW, strongly recommend the Snowboard Addiction videos, really good stuff.
snow report
stevomcd, Cheers, much the same as when I did my L1.
snow report
stevomcd wrote:
...Dude is doing a powder slash, having fun, not demoing posture....

shoulders-aligned-with-board-at-all-times is the norm at the lower levels (except for freestyle) but it's recognised at level 3 that some upper-body rotation can be OK.

So that's one orthodox style for BASI and a completely different one for "having fun". That's what I find interesting.
snow conditions
stevomcd wrote:
BTW, strongly recommend the Snowboard Addiction videos, really good stuff.

Not so sure, I've watched the tame dog instructional video 100 times now and I still can't do it! rolling eyes
snow report
This is a "basi" 50-50 http://m.youtube.com/#/user/snowboardcoachvids
snow report
Quote:

So that's one orthodox style for BASI and a completely different one for "having fun". That's what I find interesting.

Not really. Having fun is not necessarily about high-performance.
latest report
Quote:

Not really. Having fun is not necessarily about high-performance. In the video in question, the turn could have been much tighter but the rider chose not to. Nothing wrong with that.

BASI 1 & 2 are about building a very strong posture and stance which you can use as a base for high-performance riding. This might take you out of the centered/in-line position at times, but you'll almost certainly be starting from it and coming back to it.

Have you ever done any instructor training Phil, or had any high-level coaching?

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sat 6-09-14 20:00; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
maddrifter, no vid (except for a spider-dog!)
snow conditions

http://youtube.com/v/bp8usGjFtPk#
snow report
I am going for outdoor first aid course soon, with B.a.s.p., is it a difficult curse? What are the chances to fail?
latest report
maddrifter, Pretty straight forward. I think there is a 'test' element these days but easy enough.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy