Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Merino wool base layers. Any good?

Poster: A snowHead
An associated question, don't know if anyone has any views... As some may have read, I'm about to go walking in Nepal and have been informed that the weather should be such that walking 'in shirtsleeves' should be possible. I have a large stock of M&S long-sleeved tee-shirts, which are comfortable and quite nice-looking, in sassy colours. I don't particularly want to buy anything else (and have other serviceable layers for donning, should I get cold.) However, maybe these tee-shirts - in pure cotton - won't be brilliant if I get hot walking uphill. Any other suggestions? I don't want to spend too much or look too geeky or get too smelly!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Following on from Hurtle, I've only ever skied in about -4C - +3C. I know the EoSB trip is late season, but it is very much higher than I've gone before - I know the weather can do anything, but should I expect it to be colder than I'm used to?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Megamum,
Can get cold at any time but normally in April excpect it to be a lot hotter in the sun durimg the day.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Megamum wrote:
Following on from Hurtle, I've only ever skied in about -4C - +3C. I know the EoSB trip is late season, but it is very much higher than I've gone before - I know the weather can do anything, but should I expect it to be colder than I'm used to?

I've skied in Easter for the past 4+ years, wicking T shirt and jacket has done me fine, with a long sleeved mid layer for the odd colder days! Managed skiing in a fleece and T shirt which was nice!

Cheers,

greg
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hurtle, I have always been taught that those who wear cotton in mountains have a death wish Skullie

Wool or thermal stuff for mountains even in summer(even for short sleeves) that way if weather changes you do not chill as readily...

My instructor(who grew up in the mountains) used to say "Only fools and flatlanders try to predict the weather here"...

You can get wicking stuff at pretty good prices.... I think I just paid about $8- US for a short sleeve T... and a bit more for long sleeve...

Just look around...
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
'nother Kiwi here! Always worn merino - nothing better. But to wear next to skin its got to be superfine stuff. I've seen a lot of cheap stuff here that might be merino but you wouldn't want to put it near your sensitive bits. Stick to kiwi-made and make sure it's "superfine". You can get it at a reasonable price here in the uk, but I'd look on the internet, not in shops. And by the way - Icebreaker isn't kiwi-made - it's made in China - check this out: http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/HL0608/S00351.htm
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Jacka, the origanl icebreakers were kiwi made.... ie all but 2 of mine Smile
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Jacka, and the website itself says they do not manufacture in Kiwiland anymore

http://www.icebreaker.com/site/manufacturing.html
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
No wonder Icebreaker's so expensive, it's keeping people in work worldwide wink
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Point is - any company who buys into the sort of massive pollution that China is creating, not to mention the human rights issues, can't also claim to be "green" and "ethical" - Icebreaker does both. And it's this sort of massive pollution that's making such a huge impact on global warming - so soon no snow!!!!!!!!!!!! Mad

If we want to keep boarding/skiing/touring etc., we all need to think about this. It's not just about saving energy at home, it's about being careful about what we buy.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Jacka, yeah... so what brands are you wearing and what is involved in their production? What foodstuffs do you eat? What paper products do you buy? Detergents? etc etc?

Let us know so we can all be clean and green...
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
little tiger, to be honest I'm going to try and not buy any Chinese products from now on. Might be difficult but I'll have a go. Don't want to get too political, nothing to do with their carbon output but because of the situation in Burma. Anyway back on track, I've just ordered some of the thermals from the New Zealand Nature Company so I'll let you all know what they're like. Don't know if I'll get stung for import tax though Mad .

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Sat 29-09-07 16:41; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Whoops, here we go, global warming thread creep strikes again.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Grimsby Ranger, I've tried a few different wool thermals.... So far the cut of the Icebreaker womens tops win hands down!!! Quite simply they are better designed...

My friend owns an outdoor store.... We are trying to support the Australian wool industry (understandable)... but they have a couple of issues - poor cut and poor market understanding (Black and Black is NOT a choice).... also they were not great at supply.... Then we found a nice brand of NZ made stuff (Icebreaker are also poor on meeting orders and I had a weird sized garment turn up when they changed manufacturing site)... all natural colours etc.... but the cut is again poor.... Now this is both his wife and I trying them out... I am round and curvy and short.... she is tall broad backed and not so round... we both find most cuts ride up when arms lift - no boob room etc... Icebreaker simply have the shape right for active females...

Lately I have also tried some smartwool stuff - which I liked but still have not found a top in my size at a good price(I am always looking though)... I did grab one for a friend and she seems to like the product...

I do always try to be conscious of the issues involved in the products I support... I always buy Canadian Salmon for example because the Alaskan stuff is supporting the USA- who have a "fair trade" agreement that is anything but for Australian farming industry... I also check the country of origin of produce at home and buy only australian where i have the choice - and from those companies that are more "ethical" where I can... I avoid companies that promote baby food into underdeveloped regions of the world etc etc etc... I avoid recycled paper that is rebleached, and I recycle most stuff that I can and purchase Ecofleece(recycled drink bottles etc)... At some point you usually end up with some sort of compromise.... avoiding anything made in china seems maybe a little "broad" in application... (Just my rambling here)

I guess you are going to be spending a lot of time researching before all shopping trips? Remember you need to check the background on all components of products where final assembly may be (eg) local... (what goes into that locally made pie/television/jacket/boots)
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
little tiger wrote:

I guess you are going to be spending a lot of time researching before all shopping trips? Remember you need to check the background on all components of products where final assembly may be (eg) local... (what goes into that locally made pie/television/jacket/boots)

It'll be impossible I know but even a little bit will make me feel better.
snow report
Grimsby Ranger, not impossible... but it can be quite difficult... my friend will only stock products he can put himself fully behind... he regularly cops flack for not having the latest "trendy" item that the hoipoloi have decided they will all purchase for skiing... It is not an easy road....

Might want to cut down on toilet flushing too remember "If it's yellow let it mellow, If it's brown flush it down".... Also do not forget to save and reuse all grey water (shower/bath/washing machine etc) and disconnect the heating element on dishwasher - which is unnecessary if you use water heated with your solar hot water system and remember to open the door after the washing and rinsing have finished...

BTW - no hairdryers as they are shockers.... wash hair and dry in the warm air from your heating system in winter - allow to air dry in summer... Also purchase "green" electricity and design house with passive solar design requirements in mind (My friends have no outside power but generate all their own power and have for years... the only inwards purchase is gas for fridge and car)

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 30-09-07 22:59; edited 1 time in total
snow report
little tiger, you've got the wrong end of the stick. it's the shooting of unarmed monks and civilians I'm bothered about Shocked .
latest report
Grimsby Ranger, who is shooting them? I don't think there are many chinese factory workers in Burma with guns....

BTW - which once world superpower would have been running around Burma totally changing the nature of the country and ripping off the locals for their money? Should you boycott all items produced by companies that gained wealth from that? and families of those that benefited? Where will you draw the line?
ski holidays
little tiger, don't want an argument so back to Merino wool I think and possum fur wink Anyone ordered the small round warmers yet snowHead
ski holidays
Bad news - tried on a thin merino (icebreaker) top today. Blissfully comfortable, not too warm, just right for walking. Had I not read about it on here, I'm quite sure I'd have been happy in my silk liner and ordinary tee-shirt on top, dammit! As it is, I shall almost certainly succumb to yet more expenditure. snowHeads is bad for the wallet! Evil or Very Mad
snow report
Hurtle, not surprised. Happened to me. Enjoy. Smile
snow report
Been reading various test on base layers in german

Icebreaker, Smartwool and loeffler transtex wool came out best in this test.
http://www.testberichte.de/preisvergleich/level4_alpin_64775.html

In a mountain bike review the merino wool didn't fair too well as it didn't cool as well or dry as fast as the manmade fibres, which is what you want in winter but not in summer.
snow report
Hurtle, If you DO NOT sweat . . . cotton's fine. I've worn silk under leather when M/cycle racing and found it just as soppy a rag as cotton . . . just thinner Evil or Very Mad . Smartwool/merrino/microfleece is the route to take to stay comfortable.

My problem is I think I'm genetically programmed to wander around stark naked in sub-zero temperatures . . . with perhaps the support of a Possum Fur Pod warmer . . . which object is ominously absent from that small ruminant molester's site Confused
snow report
Masque, Plenty possums at home... I'll have my brother skin the next one to fall out of a tree for you Twisted Evil
ski holidays
Hurtle, I bought some icebreakers to wear as base layers for skiing... especially for spring skiing I purchased the short sleeved variety(to wear over the thin underlayer).... I wear those short sleeved tops all the time in summer..... unless it is >30 I wear the wool... biking, skating, even running.... and the longer sleeved ones in spring and autumn... I have had better wear out of them than any other garment I own... the sleeveless fuschia top even has been worn to work under a suit....

I will say that I am the opposite of Masque though... I suffered the least in Samoa at 40degrees and 95+%humidity.... I had to make them turn OFF the air conditioner at night.... I don't feel warm until >30 generally and 35 is where hot kicks in for me...
and I do chill easily... any breeze and I can feel the chill start when I wear cotton...

The quality of the wool is all important though... the superfine merino is the level you need for stuff that goes on the skin... much smoother feel and better wicking than coarser grades... (those grades are Oz & NZ standard grades - with micron limits ... i do not know if they apply to other countries wool)
snow conditions
Well I've received my merino wool thermals and socks from http://www.nznature.co.nz/ must say their service was excellent. The quality of the clothes seems very good and very soft, suppose I won't know how good they are until winter's here Laughing . Must say for price, quality and value I'm well pleased.
snow conditions
I'm looking for ski underwear that can be left unwashed in my bag for a year, and then will be fine when I get it out again. Does such a thing exist?
latest report
The summer thermal pixies deal with it... a little like the shoemakers elves.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Cant fault these http://www.nznature.co.nz/ either .Ordered some stuff from them the other week, when they informed me it had been dispatched the address they used wasnt complete ( their mistake ) when I pointed this out the immediately told me if it hadnt arrived they would send some more FOC Smile Well the gear arrived without problem - clever postie Shocked

But how many UK companies would have offered the same reply ? The quality seems good too and I wouldnt hesitate to use them again.
snow report
Not a Base Layer, but this Deal on SAC is a wonderful Warm Top for ladies
I have one, and LOVE it!
http://www.steepandcheap.com/?CMP_ID=ODAL_FFP001&mv_pc=r239
snow report
I love my Icebreaker merino wool top, I bought it in 2002 and it has been used a LOT. It's only recently started to show any wear and it's kept me perfectly warm in all weathers. I'll be buying a new one for this season definitely! Lovely and soft too. Howies do merino too, and mr firebug has just got one of these....
ski holidays
rob@rar, I had an icebreaker..I tested wearing it everyday for a week while on a course..... it smelt rank.. but not as bad as other materials would.

I was impressed by its warm and quick drying properties.

I was not however too impressed when holes started appearing in it. I am therefore a bit hesitant to buy another one.. it is quite a lot of money to pay for a base layer that doesn`t even last a full season Sad
snow report
firebug, I have three merino wool Icebreaker tops, two that, though not base layers, could be. Really Cozy!
Like you said, They look like new and I've had them for a while.
snow report
mrtoastie, moths been at it with it being wool Puzzled
ski holidays
I can second the no itch front and I do have very sensitive skin when it comes to itching and wool. It only applies for the thinniest weights next to the skin though - if I go for more than a 260 weight it is a tad itchy after a while, but then you wouldn't use that as a base layer anyway. The pong factor does seem reduced, except in the socks but then I do have particularly offensive feet.

I can't recommend it enough, also icebreaker stuff lasts for ages and the styles are fairly presentable apres and classical enough to bring out year after year - not that that would stop me Toofy Grin

Do it, do it do it!
snow report
I only wear Merino wool base and mid layers now (Icebreaker or Smartwool). Socks too.
Merino doesn't itch like normal wool or shrink in the wash.
Most importantly it doesn't stink when you sweat like all synthetics seem to do.
snow report
uktrailmonster wrote:
Most importantly it doesn't stink when you sweat like all synthetics seem to do.

Except of course if you trap it all in by putting a non-wicking/breathing layer on top.
latest report
I like merino very much.... see how happy this "extra fine" merino jumper I'm wearing made me last week Shocked
latest report
II wrote:
I like merino very much.... see how happy this "extra fine" merino thong I'm wearing made me last week Shocked

Shocked Shocked wink Shocked
snow conditions
FenlandSkier wrote:
uktrailmonster wrote:

Except of course if you trap it all in by putting a non-wicking/breathing layer on top.

Why would you do that?
I typically wear a Merino base layer, Merino mid layer and goretex outer. I sweat quite a bit naturally and this combination works really well. Can be worn for several days if necessary.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy