Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Bulgaria - good for a whole week?

Poster: A snowHead
I'm starting to think about a January trip. We normally go to France or Italy as we're at the 'bombing around on reds and blacks doing high mileage piste bashing' stage of skiing development but someone suggested going to Bulgaria and hiring a guide/instructor for a week to learn proper off-piste technique. I'm wary of Bulgaria as the resorts look way too small for a whole week on piste but I'm wondering what anyone thinks about it being good for learning/exploring off-piste? Also what instructors/guides are likely to be charging?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi mate,

I do plenty of off piste in Borovets. There is great variation in what you can do, and some great lines that keep you within the lift areas.
The problem that you will have is that there isnt really a massive demand for this sort of stuff. And hence, the availability of instructors who do this for a living are non existent. I know a young Bulgarian lad who used to to it, but there wasnt the demand so he started selling property rolling eyes

Good luck and be careful, as many of the 'instructors' wont have the right training, be insured or will have a clue what they are doing wink

All the best Cool
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If the snowfall is crap the off-piste will be crap, and when that happens Bulgaria has no "high mileage piste" to fall back on. Maybe have a look at the large Soldeu/Pas de la Casa area in Andorra (Grand Valira?) should be cheaper than France but with plenty of english-speaking instructors about.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
beedeji, I have the phone number of the instructor/guide we used last year in Borovets. Good English and good instruction. PM if you want her contact number. (No email contact sorry Sad )
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
dont risk it, i will never ever go back to bulgaria.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
graeme,

its not that bad, just different. Maybe you are not creative enough wink
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks folks, food for thought....
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Chappers,
very creative, but will never return. sorry but "not that bad" does not cut it for me
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Graeme,

what made your experience bad?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I did 4 days of lessons in Bansko and really improved. There are a few good ski schools there now and the prices are very low. The ski area isn't extensive but there certainly is off-piste action - a snowboarder died there last year after straying off-piste without a guide!! Not very persuasive I know, but if wanted to spend a week improving my technique I'd go there again.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
lack of snow, lack of terrain, queues from hell, poor pistes
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
graeme, that good NehNeh
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hey,

I went to Bulgeria with my sister and her b/f last feb. it was one of the best ski weeks ive had. im a pretty good skiier but my sister and her b/f are very intermediate snowboarders, we went to Borovets resort and it had slopes for all of us. the night life is good too. it can be cheesy but sometimes cheese is great. its sooooooooooooooooo cheap too. we went on a package deal with Crystal and id deff recomend it to anyone.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
A group of us have been to Bulgaria (Pomparova, Bansko and Borovets) for the last three years and apart from the ropey conditions on the very low slopes last year, which everyone experience I can't fault it. Snow conditions were brillient the first two years with fresh snow just about every day, intruction has been excellent (especially Maria in Pamps)and the locals are really friendly. Good value for money too with a weeks lift pass for £80 and beer about 50p a pint. Going back to Bansko this year but staying next to the gondola as we have heard queues can be more of a problem that they used to be
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
libs, welcome to snowHead
latest report
Looking on the pessimistic side - what do you think the health care is like in Bulgaria - thinking of fractures/similar injuries - that is what puts me off going outside the more established resorts. ( I am a nurse and have seen the effects of poor treatment after RTA's in other countries). I know you can't base your holiday on the excellece of the nearest hospital but is has been a 'con' when weighing up choices.
snow report
Must admit I agree with graeme. Went there once, crap snow, crap lifts, crap food, crap ski hire (ski actually broke and fell off ON THE CHAIR which, naturally, resulted in a comic scene when I got to the top!). On a more positive note it was very cheap. Will never return though I'm afraid.
snow conditions
the whole of Bulgaria for a whole week?

No thanks..

GoodvEuropean resort would be my choice, Chamonix etc. Or given the poor state of north american currency US or Canada.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy