Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving from Geneva to Tignes

Poster: A snowHead
Off to the Atomic boot camp thingy on 21/10/07. I'm hiring a car and have been given directions. There are two routes and I've decided to take the motorway.

A friend emailed me the directions but they seem really complicated.

Is it really that bad? I've got plenty of time to get there but looking at the map it seems pretty easy.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

P.S. Does anybody need a lift? I'm arriving from Edinburgh on Sleazyjet around lunchtime.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Get a sat nav wink
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Whatever the answer can this be made a sticky as it comes up a lot and the route is the same for Tignes/Les Arcs/La Plagne/La Ros is it not?

Did it for the first time last year and arrived in Geneva at 5pm so got hit by rush hour traffic. We cut across country to the A41 but got held up at Cruseilles, though there is a by pass being built of this opening 2008/2009 season. Plenty suggested routes avoiding tolls but its just not worth the hassle though some recommend cutting across the lake (though not if it is snowing) from Annecy to Albertville.

I am sure knows a better way though.snowHead
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I did it about over year ago after a lot of input from other snowheads:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=11227&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=chizz5056
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The route I've got planned when I drive to Tignes for the Atomic Boot Camp is via Annecy and Albertville as this has often been mentioned on other threads as the quickest and easiest. The only parts which appear a little confusing when reading a map is the route from Geneva Airport (Swiss side) to St Julien de Genevois and the route through Annecy to get to the southern side of the lake, although I'm sure we'll manage when we get there. If we get lost? All part of the adventure! Laughing
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Chizz5056 wrote:
I did it about over year ago after a lot of input from other snowheads:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=11227&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=chizz5056

Its not a sticky maybe, maybe admin can change the title of your thread to cover the resorts advice is given on and make it a sticky.

Thanks snowHead
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
snowshine wrote:
The route I've got planned when I drive to Tignes for the Atomic Boot Camp is via Annecy and Albertville as this has often been mentioned on other threads as the quickest and easiest. The only parts which appear a little confusing when reading a map is the route from Geneva Airport (Swiss side) to St Julien de Genevois and the route through Annecy to get to the southern side of the lake, although I'm sure we'll manage when we get there. If we get lost? All part of the adventure! Laughing

That's exactly where I got lost, in between Geneva and St Julien. Ended up on the motorway heading to Chamonix before turning round and getting back on track.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
snowshine, it's not difficult round Annecy if you follow the signs although it does feel like you drive around the houses a bit!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Does anyone know ith the Annecy motorway link is open yet? If not and its rush hour you might be best to head around the eastern side of the lake.
When leaving Geneva airport just keep your eyes skinned for the right turn to France once you get onto the Autoroute, then you will find its a straight run. You go over 3or 4 sets of lights and then seem to swing left onto a dual carriageway that merges with the Autoroute (from memory), best to stick in the R hand lane round this bit.

Enjoy snowHead
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Martin Nicholas,

Are you saying that when you are going from Geneva to Annecy you would go the whole way round the motorway rather than cross country through Cruseilles?

snowHead
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
gwaelod wrote:
Martin Nicholas,

Are you saying that when you are going from Geneva to Annecy you would go the whole way round the motorway rather than cross country through Cruseilles?

snowHead

That's what I do. Adds a few Euros in tolls and is a longer drive, but a straightforward route and I've never been stuck in any traffic. The few times I've gone cross-country via Cruseilles I got caught up in slow traffic on every occasion.

When the route via Cruseilles is replaced by a new autoroute (due for completion for the 2008/09 winter season IIRC) this will reduce my journey time from GVA to Les Arcs by about 20 minutes.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rob@rar wrote:
gwaelod wrote:
Martin Nicholas,

snowHead

That's what I do. Adds a few Euros in tolls and is a longer drive, but a straightforward route and I've never been stuck in any traffic. The few times I've gone cross-country via Cruseilles I got caught up in slow traffic on every occasion.

When the route via Cruseilles is replaced by a new autoroute (due for completion for the 2008/09 winter season IIRC) this will reduce my journey time from GVA to Les Arcs by about 20 minutes.

Cheers. Will bear in mind for March, as our flight lands 4.30pm and last year was very slow in going across through Cruseilles.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
mjr wrote:
Off to the Atomic boot camp thingy on 21/10/07. I'm hiring a car and have been given directions. There are two routes and I've decided to take the motorway.

A friend emailed me the directions but they seem really complicated.

Is it really that bad? I've got plenty of time to get there but looking at the map it seems pretty easy.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

P.S. Does anybody need a lift? I'm arriving from Edinburgh on Sleazyjet around lunchtime.

www.viamichelin.com
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
http://www2.mappy.com/

snowHead
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

When leaving Geneva airport just keep your eyes skinned for the right turn to France

This can be the hardest bit. On leaving the airport there are GREEN signs for France (because motorway signs are green in Switzerland). Follow them carefully. Once across the border, after the tunnels, the first set of Annecy signposting will take you OFF the autoroute through Cruseilles - safest is to follow Chamonix in the first instance, if you want to go on the more straightforward motorway route. The motorway junction for Annecy, quite a bit further on, is very clearly signposted. From Annecy, more choices, straight down beside the lake to Ugine and Albertville, or round the motorway via Chambery. I do the former, but the latter is probably quicker in most instances. Best to get your navigator to look at the websites mentioned, in conjunction with a map, before you leave the UK!
ski holidays
God Help me rolling eyes , PM david@traxvax, it's a regular journey for his transfer and if he can get his dick out of his ego long enough, he should be able to give you a turn by exit route.
snow report
Masque, you have such a way with words. As you asked so nicely, I expect david will come up with the answer.
ski holidays
pam w, given my mood . . . I'm being NICE! . . . but yes, he should be able to give a junction by junction route . . . especially out of the Autoroute nightmare around Geneva. I've managed it a couple of times but I'd not be able to tell you how Confused
snow conditions
Getting from GVA (Swiss side) to the motorway is very straightforward. Simply drive out of the car rental garage, joining the main road as soon as you exit, then drive through a couple of sets of traffic lights and follow signs for "France".
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
Getting from GVA (Swiss side) to the motorway is very straightforward. Simply drive out of the car rental garage, joining the main road as soon as you exit, then drive through a couple of sets of traffic lights and follow signs for "France".
I'm glad someone else said that. I've never had a problem, despite being notorious for getting lost everywhere I go! Smile
ski holidays
If you want to cut across the Cruseilles route (and we've only ever got caught up once, and reckon a clear run actually knocks a good 20-30 mins off the journey time), the trick is to keep in the right hand lane at the border, the junction is the first after the border and isn't very far. It's a tad confusing because it looks like you're about to pick up the motorway to Lyon
snow conditions
eng_ch, we've only had busy traffic on the way back there, and it was in a blizzard.
ski holidays
Cruiselles is usually fine - admittedly it does snarl up sometimes but on the whole it's o.k.

At the mo they are still doing roadworks around the turn off after the border, but it's not too bad and won't be busy in October!
There is sometimes a slight rush hour getting out of Geneva at 5pm but nothing like the M25!!!!!! Shocked

If you go the motorway route to Annecy you are lloking at tolls + another 15mins on your journey, once you are on the cruiselles route you don't really have to turn off and it takes you down to the Annecy ring road which will take you down the Albertville or Chamberyturn offs.

www.gravite.co.uk
Alpine adventures
ski holidays
If anyone does need directions send me an email mountain.sun@virgin.net and I'll send you directions both via Annecy and motorway.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy