Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

90mm ski 'allrounder' suitable for touring

Poster: A snowHead
Me 73kg, 5' 8". Probably go for 170 to 175 cm length ski

Looking to replace my Head Mojo 90's with something just as wide (90mm) in the waist but lighter (less than 3600 gr the pair exc bindings) that also work reasonable on the piste. Already have 76mm touring ski and 70mm rock ski in the quiver. Generally take the list with me each time I ski and test as many on the list before deciding.

The shortlist so far is as follows ......

Scott Mission http://www.telemark-pyrenees.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=2469

Atomic Snoop Daddy http://www.telemark-pyrenees.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=1_48_296&products_id=3592

Head OB 95 http://www.head.com/ski/products.php?region=de&tag=freeride&id=908

Karhu Jak http://www.karhu.com/products/product.asp?ID=8

Karhu Jak BC http://www.karhu.com/products/product.asp?ID=7

Black Diamond Voodoo http://www.telemarktips.com/TeleNews83.html

anybody have views / experience with any skis on the list or further suggestions?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 22-09-07 18:53; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I used the Havoc last year and I thought that all the BD skis that we tested (Havocs, Kilowatts and Verditcts) were pretty light with alpine bindings and very light with the Freeride plus so I would think the Havoc worth adding to your list.

I say it was a better ski than the Mission and skis well but on and off-piste, but not tried any of the others
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The BD skis are the lightest I've tried but I thought their piste performance was a lot weaker than the Missions. We've used the Missions for three years with Freerides - only problem is the wide shovel catching in skin tracks.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
DB, I'm a bit taller than you and a fair bit heavier, and am looking for something similar - but I think definitely erring to 90+ rather than 90-. As JT said, we tried the BD Havocs and Kilowatts last year. I actually tried 3 different types opf Havoc: the 06, and two different versions of the 07, as they were playing about with the flex pattern. I also tried the Scott Mission at the PSB (along with the 06 Havoc). I wrote reviews at the time (in PSB 06 feedback threads - Nov 06 - and LG Ski test, or something like that - March 07 - you should be able to find them from that - post back if you can't find them and I'll have a look for you).

IIRC the Mission was a blast on piste, and pretty light, the 06 Havoc not at all bad (and lighter), although it wasn't at all easy getting the tip engaged to get a carved turn going. Once the turn was in progress it was fine though. Off piste I much preferred the Kilowatt to the Havoc (felt way more stable), and this is probably my hottest prospect favourite now, apart from the really beefy skis like the Stockli DPs and Dynastar Legend Pros, although those are really way too heavy for what you want. I did want to have a go with the Snoops, although I don't really get along with the Atomic skis I've tried off piste (always feel a bit flimsy and insubstantial to me) - but never managed to find them for hire. fallliner's comment about the extreme shaping of the Missions is why I'm sort of dismissing them. Horses for courses, and all that.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
THanks for the input guys.

JT, the Black Diamond Voodoo is the back country version of the Havoc. Exact same dimensions but ca 10% lighter 3.3 kg v 3.6 kg in a 175cm length, maybe I should give them both a try (if I can find them).

fallliner, Had a couple of hours on the missions and wasn't bowled over. Can't see the shovel being much more of a problem than the other skis on the list as they are all pretty much the same (123 to 127 mm).

GrahamN, Atomics work for me but there again even a pair of Pocket Rockets did at my weight. Here in Austria Atomics are easy to find so shouldn't be a problem to demo. I like the light weight but the non-wood core construction makes me worry that a core shot could kill them or they will lose their pop (flex) much quicker than many of the other skis on the list. The kilowatt in a 175 cm is 3.5 kg so I'll add it to the list.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sat 22-09-07 21:22; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
BD Voodoo. End of. Toofy Grin
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:

The last time I took advice from you I ended up buying a new pair of walking/mountain boots for a trek that didn't happen (the weather closed in).

So way Voodoo End of?

PS Great boots by the way.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
DB, Lightest wood core 80 something. They rock, watch those edges on the top sheet. Whoo hoo.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
DB, Get yourself some Dynafit BNDgs and a pair of Axon. Whoo Hoo
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Axon? What's dat den?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
DB, Two bottles of red wine, ooops.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
What about a 174cm K2 Apache Coomba or is their 102mm waist just too much for the piste?

or 167cm as doesn't K2 size via running length?

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Mon 24-09-07 13:39; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Anyboby know the weight of the Fischer WATEA 84 in a 176cm?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DB, I think the Coomba is a great idea, it is just that bit too wide perhaps, did i say that? Fischer, i dunno?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
In terms of Havoc vs Voodoo, it really depends on whether your priority is easy uphill or performance down. The Havocs at 3.6kg are just at the top of the weight limit you mentioned, the Voodoos are about 300g lighter.
ski holidays
Found a test in German (which like every other mag ski test should be treated with a fist of salt)
The havoc didn't come out too good whereas the Snoop Daddy got top marks.
http://www.testberichte.de/preisvergleich/level4_skimagazin_63221.html

and another German test, the Mission, Coomba and Snoop receive good marks. The kilowatt doesn't fair too well (could be related to magazine advertising income).
http://www.testberichte.de/preisvergleich/level4_skimagazin_63221.html
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:

I'm mulling over the idea of investing in a pair of these with Dynafit bindings. Waivering over a 175cm or 185cm. I'm 5'11 approx 76Kg. I've not tested a 185cm so would be a bit of a gamble in that length. Do they ski short being a twin twip of sorts? Of course the longer length are heavier which can be viewed as a negative for a touring setup. Opinions welcomed!
snow report
DB, I'm a tad lighter than you and have no problem with my 174cms K2 Apache Chief's (98cms) on piste. I think it's a better all mountain ski than my Missions, which in turn, offer better piste performsmce.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy