Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where is the lowest piece of permanent snow in the Alps?

Poster: A snowHead
??
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
some glacier somewhere I expect?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
chamonix?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mouth wrote:
some glacier somewhere I expect?

bossons must be pretty low, checking recent satellite pictures shows the snout around 1500 meters although that is ice not snow.

I've seen snow near me at 1800 m in potholes.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I guess it would depend on your defination of "permanent" - never melts in any summer or has been there for the last 100-10-5-4-3-2-1 years?

I have know idea where it is though?

Mouth, I would expect that there are snow patches in the alpes that last from year to year as they do in Scotland that aren't "glaciers" and some of them would be lower that a true glacier Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Not the Alps but I remember seeing in Norway a glacier that nearly comes down to sea level. Done a quick google and think it's near Styrn where the summer ski place is.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I remember walking up Ben Nevis in June 82 - on a glorious day - and there was plenty of snow on the summit. Looked thick enough to last all summer to me. Did it in those days? Does it now?

I also remember snow at the top of the "hidden valley" in Glencoe. That was north facing and steep sided so it might have stayed.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
My freezer mwah ha ha ha
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
davidof,

Where is bossons?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
johnboy wrote:
davidof,

Where is bossons?

Puzzled rolling eyes Very Happy
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I also would say the Bossons glacier in Chamonix is probably the lowest remaining Alpine glacier.

In 12,000 BC, it was 1km thick and down to the valley floor (1000m).

In 1800 AD, it was still hanging on by its fingertips at village level (1000m).

By 2006 AD, it had retreated to roughly 1400 - 1600m.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Whitegold, has someone been taking pieces of it home with them as a souvenir?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
laundryman, I remember walking up Ben Nevis in June 82 - on a glorious day - and there was plenty of snow on the summit. Looked thick enough to last all summer to me. Did it in those days? Does it now?

I also remember snow at the top of the "hidden valley" in Glencoe. That was north facing and steep sided so it might have stayed.

I once heard a story that the ownership of some land on Ben Nevis depended on snow always lying somewhere on the mountain, the "owner" used to go up and shade the small bits of snow in gullies in the summer. Perhaps Haggis knows more about this, or maybe I just dreamt it!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mouth, brilliant.
ski holidays
 brian
brian
What you need is the world glacier inventory

http://nsidc.org/data/glacier_inventory/

According to them the Bossons glacier goes down to 1210m asl

laundryman, I don't think the snow normally lasts right through the summer on the summit of the ben, now or in years gone by, the patches that last right through (if they do) are in the north facing gullies. There is still snow knocking about in some of the gullies on the north face this year, as documented by winterhighlander, firefly.

http://youtube.com/v/825i6dihjDI
latest report
brian wrote:
What you need is the world glacier inventory

http://nsidc.org/data/glacier_inventory/

Interesting, take a look on geoportail.fr at the aerial photo and the IGN map. You'd have to check on the ground how far the ice goes down to though. Maybe a job for one of the zookeepers although I'm not sure they ever leave the shop.
snow conditions
brian,

Cool
ski holidays
I think the underer grindelwald Gletcher down to 1300-1400.
ski holidays
Not sure about the alps ? However I suspect Iceland and Norway have the lowest European glaciers.

As for Scotland - some snow usually survives until September on the North Face of Ben Nevis.

However the closest Scotland has to a glacier is the small patch of snow on Braerich. Up until end of the 1990's the patch on Braerich had only be recorded to melt fully 3 times in the last 60 years. But since 2001 I think it has melted every year - which is kind of worrying. Global warming in action... ?

Doug.

p.s I have heard "jbob's" story too...
Though I think it may have been about the northern corries in cairngorm in the 1800's ?
snow report
La Ros??? It always has the best conditions wink
latest report
laundryman, I walked up on a baking hot day in June this year and there was lots of snow on the summit.
snow conditions
check out this for a "scottish glacier"

http://uk.youtube.com/v/BVtSE1fPjnc

regards,

Greg
snow report
OT - but the New Zealand Fox and Franz Josef glaciers are impressive:

Quote:
While glaciers around the world are retreating, the Fox and Franz Josef glaciers still flow almost to sea level.
ski holidays
kitenski,

Cool
snow report
kitenski, big chunk of snow ... and look at the old skinny ski's!
ski holidays
Haggis_Trap wrote:
Not sure about the alps ? However I suspect Iceland and Norway have the lowest European glaciers.

As for Scotland - some snow usually survives until September on the North Face of Ben Nevis.

However the closest Scotland has to a glacier is the small patch of snow on Braerich. Up until end of the 1990's the patch on Braerich had only be recorded to melt fully 3 times in the last 60 years. But since 2001 I think it has melted every year - which is kind of worrying. Global warming in action... ?

Doug.

p.s I have heard "jbob's" story too...
Though I think it may have been about the northern corries in cairngorm in the 1800's ?

Iceland's vatnajokull downs to sea level....Is a glacier like Mallorca (a little more) in extension and has 1000 1500 meters of thickness.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy