Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

My ACL rehab - not for the squeamish.

Poster: A snowHead
JT, My surgeon let me watch my op Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
LARGEZOOKEEPER, there is defo somthing amiss with these zookeepers Laughing
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
A bit of a nasty bruise has developed on the side of my shin. It may be where the surgeon clamped his woodwork tools !

Getting better all the time now though. not even needing the pills, but I will take the ocational ibuprofen to help with the swelling. I wore my rigid splint loosely in bed last nght because I have a tendency to lever myself about half asleep and I dont want to damage the new ACL. Also without even the tubigrip in place, the wounds feel a little vulnrable.

I will refit the tubigrip later, but for the moment I am interested in bruise watching. Almost as interesting as watching paint dry (which I did last week). I am still doing the little group of excercises as often as I remember, and using my ice pack but swelling isnt much of a problem.

Actually, now I dont have the tubigrip on, I can feel the knee isnt slopping about like it did before and so the new ACL must be doing its job !
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Eeeeoooow! Shocked

(Oh, that's just for the carpet Laughing )
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
maggi, I'd just like to point out that lampbus has enhanced that photo for dramatic effect (not necessarily deliberately). That SCGB brochure is not that colour (the lettering is red, not purple) - there is way too much blue in the picture. Wink

Isn't there some self-inflicted torture here, looking at brochures for ski holidays you're not going to be able to go on? snowHead

(Hope the recovery goes well)
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
maggi, I have a carpet brochure on the coffee table as one of my 'leg rest' projects. Ill put that in the next photo so that....
GrahamN, I wondered how long it would take someone to notice that - the colours are a bit bad on my cameraphone. The bruise does look worse in real life Shocked
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
lampbus, great thread

You wrote:
I do wonder what goes on when the anesthetic has kicked in
So don’t go off to sleep next time. A regional (“Local”) anaesthetic is much better.

Helen Beaumont wrote:
My friend was advised not to ski at all after her reconstruction
This advice is nonsense

You wrote:
Skiing ? not next season, but 2008-2009 I will be back in the bindings.
Why not next season? Most advice is you can be back at full activity within 6 – 9 months (ref 1, ref 2). I have a number of friends (all doctors) who ruptured their ACLs, and all were skiing the following season, whether they had been repaired or not. (Interesting review of the pros and cons of operation at kneeguru.)

But when you do return, the Big Question is To brace or not to brace.
ehealthmd.com says Yes. Jointhealing.com suggests No.

When you do go back, it would seem telemarking is not a good idea Sad .

All sites emphasise the vital importance of adhering to the post-operative physiotherapy regimes.
Do those exercises and do them well.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Jonpim, I know the advice was nonsense. I just wondered if it was the same consultant that's all, as the hospital was the same and the advice different. He obviously wasn't a skier.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Helen Beaumont, Just get strong legs, no problem. I've had 3 reconstructs and it doesn't cause me any hassle at all.
As far as this record breaking family goes
1) Nicholas- 6 ACL Reconstructions (National team coach)
2) Brother Raphael- 5 ACL Reconstructions (WC Racer)
3) Sister Audrey - 3 ACL Reconstructions Shocked Shocked Shocked
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
LARGEZOOKEEPER, Shocked Shocked Shocked

They must have run out of bits of your family to use as grafts and then put world teflon supplies under severe strain...
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
LARGEZOOKEEPER, she has strong legs that's not in question, she's a fitness instructor,and sports massage therapist. I think she is probably now erring on the side of caution, or maybe has taken the path to the dark side. wink
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
stoatsbrother, Not my family, just friends
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
LARGEZOOKEEPER, DON'T SKI WITH THEM... THEY ARE DANGEROUS. Shocked wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Jonpim, interesting articles, thanks. I may well get a brace to ski in - if only to remind me I could do it again. However, I think i will be training my whole body to automatically defend against the risk positions. My NHS physio seems to be realy switched on to this sort of thing, but I will look for a specific skiing physio in due course to check.

LARGEZOOKEEPER, question is - do they brace or not ?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Two new knees (well, the 2nd op is imminent ) and my friend wants to ski again. I think that is pushing it and even he admitted today that as he is pain free, he doesn't want to risk it...so he will not go mad.....Laughing
snow report
lampbus, No braces, solid physio and re-muscling. Most good doctors will advise against a brace as it tends to make you lazy and with proper strengthening exercises you don't need one.
snow report
LARGEZOOKEEPER,
Quote:

Most good doctors will advise against a brace as it tends to make you lazy and with proper strengthening exercises you don't need one.

I don't think this is true the link in my previous post is a study from one of the pioneers of ACL surgery working out of Vail whose study indicates that wearing a brace for skiing following surgery is more likely to prevent further injury than not wearing one.
snow conditions
T Bar, I just looked at the link and in the past I have worked with many athletes who have been operated by Dr Steadman or the european guru, Dr Pierre Chambat and although they might suggest braces for a short while, they try to minimise their use as a replacement ACL should be as least as strong as the original. I realise that this is true for ahletes and maybe not the case for normal humans, however the surgeon that did my operations, Dr Jacques Lemoine, said to me that if I thought I needed a brace then the knee wasn't strong enough to be skied on. After my first op I wore one (CTI custom) for 2 weeks on piste and about a month off piste and after the next 2 ops I never wore it again. If anybody wants a CTi Custom for a left knee, I know one that's going cheap Cool
snow report
LARGEZOOKEEPER,
I certainly won't argue with your surgeon, not all surgeons seem convinced that ACL's need repairing rather than more muscle strengthening but it does slightly beg the question as to why you needed three repairs. wink
snow report
T Bar, Three independant accidents which would have snapped originals like twigs Shocked
snow report
LARGEZOOKEEPER,
Good luck with these then, sounds like you need some lessons. Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
T Bar, Are you offering Puzzled wink Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Last night I got half way up the stairs to bed.... and realised I was taking the steps normally. Not the step at a time I have been. I still take one at a time carefully on the way down, and usually on the way up too today, especially after I have excercised.

But there is clear progress. I can lock it straight almost normally, with only a bit of discomfort. Yay !

I am starting to feel the 'damaged' hamstring now - I am almost off the painkillers, and with more activity I can realy feel it kicking in to help control the leg. Especially when I went for a walk down the road without my crutches. Still more time needed, but at least I got out the house for 15 mins.

I also changed the dressings this afternoon - so now's the time to flash the high rez wound shots :

It looks a bit like the ladders made from steel hoops cast into concrete lift tower bases. Or am I the only one who has made a study of such things ? Shocked
ski holidays
I phoned the surgeon's admin today to ask if he got any good snaps internally, we shall see . . .
latest report
lampbus, Wow, neat!
latest report
lampbus wrote:
It looks a bit like the ladders made from steel hoops cast into concrete lift tower bases. Or am I the only one who has made a study of such things ? Shocked

I hope you do not have any discomfort when they take the fekkers out.

Kingston hospital gave me a removal tool for the local GP to use( GPs they do not keep a stock of them). It is a one shot, disposable device. Unfortunately, mine was not very robust and buckled fairly quickly. The doctor found another instrument somewhere - but he might as well have used a staple remover. Mind you, my handiwork was not as neat looking as yours.
ski holidays
Our local hospital once took a pin out of my ring finger middle joint with a pair of Mole Grips as the cupboard with the right gear in was locked and no one had a key. It was hilarious Very Happy
snow conditions
lampbus,

Just caught up on this thread - glad it's all going well. Work hard with the physio - I hope to see your silky piste skills again one day.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ooh, all this talk of ACLs and surgery has got me poring over my "Sports Injuries - their Prevention and Treatment" (Peterson & Renstrom) book from my sports massage course. (Thankfully for this time of the morning, the photos in the book aren't as gory as the achilles tendon ruptures that I had to look at for a friend yesterday. They show the bit with the nylon cord...)

"Most surgeons use the patient's own tissues, either from the patellar tendon or the hamstring tendons; both are very good grafts. Occasionally [...] allografts (tissues from cadavers) can be used, but it should not be the first choice in athletes." (or snowHead )

"Results of ACL recon. surgery are good: active people can return to the preop level in their sport after an acute ACL injury in around 80-90% of cases, and in about 70-80% of chronic cases."

Good luck with the rehab. I note the book says "Rehabilitation [...] requires an extremely compliant patient". Are you that man?
snow conditions
clara_jo wrote:
"Rehabilitation [...] requires an extremely compliant patient". Are you that man?

Yes Miss Madeye-Smiley
latest report
Laughing Having a leg out of action has a lot to recommend it, if you talk to some male friends of mine... (ie, just talking generally, not specifically about me. Oh God, somebody take my spade away... Embarassed )
snow report
Red Leon, thanks. Silky eh, thats a new one !
snow conditions
Morale of the story............dont hire "special skis" for races snowHead
snow report
lampbus,

If it is that neat on the outside, hopefully they were that precise on the inside...Laughing
latest report
lampbus wrote:
Red Leon, thanks. Silky eh, thats a new one !

No need to be so coy - there are plenty of witnesses.

Smokin Joe wrote:
Moral of the story............don't hire "special skis" for races snowHead
Cruel. Laughing
ski holidays
lampbus, It's certainly looking pretty good isn't it? Keep up the physio work. Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
elbrus, you should by now know that if PSG broke a ski, it would simply grow back. What chance did a rogue ACL have? rolling eyes

In all seriousness; if anyone has such an injury and they are offered treatment in resort - it's worth considering. I for one would not rely on continuation treatment back home on the NHS.
snow conditions
I (Mrs Snow and Trek) ruptured ACL and tore meniscus in 1994. Skied with CTI brace for 3 winters. Then had meniscus partially removed and ACL reconstructed with patella tendon.

Now nearly 10 years to the day of my op and ski happily without any brace. Knee can give occasional twinge (over use e.t.c.) but still loves the bumps!

Had mine done in East London by a surgeon who looked after some of the London football and rugby teams. Operation was in early December, drove again at Christmas and Mountain Biked in the Alps in the April. Wakeboarding & Waterskiing in the May. Had all the physio at Crystal Palaces Sports Injury Clinic - can highly recommend.

b]lampbus[/b], Keep up the good work it's worth it in the end!!!

If you live in France (in their health system) they won't operate to replace anyone over the age of 40's ACL/MCL unless it is vital to their job (i.e. ski instructor e.t.c). You have to pay if you want it done! Have 2 girlfirends in that position at the moment. So you have more chance I think of getting it done in th UK unless your insurance is willing to pay for it.
snow conditions
Todays photo !

Ive fitted steristrips after photo taken .
snow report
Bloody 'ell lampbus, looks better than mine already Shocked
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy