Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Walkie Talkie for skiing

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello,

I'm thinking of buying a couple of walkie talkies for skiing, any recommendations for good Walkie talkie devices?

Is thi any good, on ebay: Midland GXT700 26-Mile Two-Way Radios (Pair)

Cheers
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
buzz55, good seach terms to use are FRS and GMRS because most of those threads include distinctions on where one is allowed to use which frequencies.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=5342
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=3377
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I would be amazed if those were legal in Europe where usually you are limited to about 3km on gear which doesn't require a licence, and the sellers ad says they require a licence in the US
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
hmmm, I see what you mean - either I go for the new USA models which can do 26km or go for Europe/UK which can only do 5km...
I see we get a raw deal yet again!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hello, I use walkie talkies for my work in construction with my team, but they should be good enough for skiing too, they are durable and will work after falling in snow and such. I chose mine from this article https://www.paramountind.com/best-walkie-talkie/, you can use it as a guide to what is good for you. Be careful of the laws in your area regarding their frequencies, in my area we are free to use them for non commercial use, so it's no problem, I don't know you location so better be safe. Good luck to you.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
that interrupted a long-term radio silence!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@pam w, Smile ...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yello & ptt buttons if the mountain has wifi or you have phone signal and data
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Mr.Egg, phones are ok, but far less easy to use than a w/t : dig em out your pocket; worry about dropping the slim slippy things; take your gloves off; put your glasses on (if you've got cr*p eyesight) ... etc.etc.etc.

W/T: just pull 'em out and press to talk
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@geoffers,
I meant zello
Ptt is push to talk, so your phone stays in your pocket.
You can go bluetooth route or wired connection to your phone.

Also worth looking at motorbike instruction headsets.
They can be set up as voice activated rather than pushing a button, but can be annoying
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I used a set of Motorola walkie talkies when we used to go away in groups. Had around 5/6 between us all and they were great, so much easier to use than phone as we had them clipped to our backpack strips and could easily access it. Still amazed at the time we were in the board park in ValD and managed to get through to my cousin who was in Le Lac in Tignes at the time.

Not used them so much more recently as the group trips are finished and its just the family now and a phone can suffice for now and SWMBO doesn't like the walkie walkie in her pocket in case she falls
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mr.Egg wrote:
@geoffers,
I meant zello
Ptt is push to talk, so your phone stays in your pocket.
You can go bluetooth route or wired connection to your phone.

Also worth looking at motorbike instruction headsets.
They can be set up as voice activated rather than pushing a button, but can be annoying

+1 This is the secret!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have a set (4) of Motorolas. They have proved very useful off piste, when going down one at a time and I have used them when cycling in groups over the mountains, as you get split up quite quickly. The range is surprisingly good.

Otherwise, the walkie talkie function on an Apple watch is brilliant, if you both have them.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I have 4 of these and my family, friends and I have always found them excellent
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Motorola-TLKR-Extreme-two-way-radio/dp/B00ANG0M18/ref=pd_sbs_107_2/258-2936686-0537352?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00ANG0M18&pd_rd_r=03c658f7-7123-4aab-8652-839fee8b5850&pd_rd_w=63bhf&pd_rd_wg=AszPp&pf_rd_p=cc188cba-1892-42b3-956f-6c67d0ab7a00&pf_rd_r=WQQFED8P86SMQK9YRTDB&psc=1&refRID=WQQFED8P86SMQK9YRTDB&tag=amz07b-21
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy