Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chalking edge files

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
as a dry lubricant to reduce chip catching and file card use. For those who've tried it, worthwhile, pointless, likely to clog bases? Classroom or climbing chalk?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Used to do it (was told to years ago by an old engineering tutor) with classroom chalk & also tried Deb's climbing chalk. Worked with low quality files & stopped them clogging.

Never had any base clogging problems as I file in one smooth arm locked movement & walk down the ski so all debris comes off on the top sheet side - as opposed to an eliptical overlapping action which lifts the file back rearwards over the base of the ski & allows debris to drop on the base.

I now use high quality (but expensive) files which just don't clog at all so no need for chalk at all. When tuning as much as I do the higher cost of the files is well worth it in the long. My current set of three has done approx 250-270 pairs of skis/boards & are about 50% worn.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
comprex, part of my apprenticeship was having to file a lot of metal, but I digress...

Forget the chalk (unless you want to go climbing) and as spyderjon, says, get a decent file but back it up with a file card. A bit like a steel base brush and very usefull for getting the clag out of the teeth after filing softer materials.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
spyderjon, Never had any base clogging problems as I file in one smooth arm locked movement & walk down the ski so all debris comes off on the top sheet side

I must try to do that, one thing I do find useful is to run a felt tip pen down the edge before filing, to avoid missing any, probably not required if I perfect the long stroke.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy