Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Japan Ski?

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone know of any ski holiday compaies that do Japan for an April 2008 ski?

(only one I've found so far is Crystal Ski in March)

Cheers
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
From this month's Daily Mail Ski & Snowboard magazine:

Inghams
http://www.inghams.co.uk

Ski Dream
http://www.skidream.com

Ski Independence
http://www.ski-i.com

And the company I work for:

Ski Japan
http://www.skijapan.com
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
buzz55, Mountain Tracks are doing an off-piste trip, though this is in February 2008. If you get to Japan this season, do please let us know how it all went. Have a great time Very Happy snowHead
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I think Falline give a small mention to the Japanese ski ventures in this months rag. snowHead
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
....is " FALLINE THE BEST AND ONLY SKI MAG WORTH READING" due to be issued today ... ? Toofy Grin

(Paraphrase credit to Boredsurfin, )
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
All those sites are very coy about prices, I wonder if DIY might be an option if we were clever with flights (might be an extended travel time).
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Unless you've got air miles, you'll be hard pressed to beat the Inghams prices from the UK
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
buzz55,
Why April? My impression is that for all the very large snow falls Japan gets the skiing is not that high and it can get a bit warm in April, fine if your there but possibly not the best month to plan a long distance ski trip?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
December, January and February are better for cold smoke, but not many sunny days.

March gets a good mix of pow and sun.

April and May for more sun, spring conditions with the expected unexpected dump wink
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
April, well - some of my best skiing has been end of March / April, and from mid Jan - end March I will be skiing in Europe so looking for something different to end the season with, from what I can remember last year (2007) Japan ski resorts had big dumps end of March / April.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
buzz55,
Well Mike Pow, obviously knows the area a lot better than I do, but I visited in April and when I tried to book accommodation a lot of the locals were suprised and thought the conditions might be a bit iffy. When I arrived there was plenty of snow and I had a good time but the conditions were not as good as you usually get in the higher alpine resorts at the end of the season, it was very warm and there was not a lot of refreeze at night. Off piste was decent but the pistes softened very quickly.
If you're there and taking advantage of good late seaon falls thats one thing ,to fly that distance and not get a late fall may be a bit dissapointing.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
According to my better half, who is Japanese, many of their resorts close because they get too much snow at times. And apparently thr Japanese rarely ski off-piste. She has said that in April got to be Hokaido, Touhoku area (appi or zao) or Hakaisan (Niigata prefecture).
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Spot on T-Bar & 666

And I'm only talking about Niseko area of Hokkaido. Haven't skied on Honshu (the main island).
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Most of the resorts stay open until Golden week in early May (a public holiday) I was still skiing top to bottom at Hakuba/47 and Tsugaike has a heli lift that takes you up the back of that resort. The backcountry is epic and usually a lot safer at that time of year. Tateyama opens their backcountry in April because they have too much snow during the winter.
http://www.town.tateyama.toyama.jp/english/alpine/spring.html
Check the snow wall next to the bus
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Japan is easy to book by yourself and in my experience just as cheap and you get exactly what you want.
ski holidays
I have booked a week in Mar 2008 to Niseko when I visit HK. The Hotel is about GBP400 per head half board, same cost as flying from HK to Saporo.

What would be the advice of bringing out skis and boots from UK all the way to Japan?
latest report
Flight cost seem quite high.

You should be able to just check the ski in at the airport.

In HK, I vaguely recall there's a place in the city that acts as a "satalite airport check-in counter" where you can hand over (and collect?) your checked luggage to the airline.
snow report
saikee wrote:
I have booked a week in Mar 2008 to Niseko when I visit HK. The Hotel is about GBP400 per head half board, same cost as flying from HK to Saporo.

What would be the advice of bringing out skis and boots from UK all the way to Japan?

Boots. If they're fitted then yes.

Skis. What have you got?
ski holidays
Will be be in Niseko for the first two weeks of February and am really looking forward to all that powder that Niseko is famous for!! We have booked through Inghams and found there service very good. On the down side and comparitively speaking a ski trip from the UK to Japan for two weeks is quite a bit more expensive than I normally pay for in Europe. However, I believe that the excellent snow conditions and powder make the cost more than acceptable.
snow report
I forgot to add that Japan Airlines, who Inghams fly with, don't charge for ski and boot carriage and are very relaxed on luggage allowances.

Mike Pow, I have a pair of K2 Apache Recons as I tend to split my skiing 50/50 on-piste and off-piste but I am looking at spending most of my time on the powder whilst in Japan; do you think that I should be ok on my Recons? (i'm not yet overly experienced in powder)
snow conditions
The Recons will be great.

That's a ski that we have in our fleet and guests are very happy with it 'in' and 'on' Niseko snow. Little Angel

Quick plug.

If you'd like lessons please take a look at the company I instruct for:

Niseko Base Snowsports
www.nisekobase.com

And if anyone's going to the Metro Ski Show next week I'll be there on the Kyoto Hokkaido Inbound Council stand - 110a, 110b
ski holidays
Mike Pow, we are staying that the Prince hotel in Niseko Higashiyama. What ski school(s) do they use?
snow conditions
Mike Pow... it is a small world... I was the instructor you were probably cursing at the beginning of last season...

I was really excited about the prospect of working for NBS..but a few weeks before departure to Japan my plans changed due to a stupid promise I had made to a friend.

To cut a long story short. Made a pact with a buddy that we would do the season together.. he advised me he also had a job with NBS.. so all sorted... few weeks before departure he advised his job/visa had fallen through so we decided to go to Silver Star in BC were we also had guaranteed jobs (LMO cert etc). Changed my flights etc.. less than a week before departure "good" buddy tells me he is not going to Canada either and is staying in Europe Evil or Very Mad

I therefore headed off to Canada alone. I had an awesome season but will always regret passing up the opportunity of working in Japan.

Moral of the story... don`t let misplaced loyalties get in the way of your dreams/plans.

I have a friend working as a snowboard instructor in Niseko this season - Mayumi Kinoshita.
latest report
Hornster,

There's a Japanese ski school at Higashiyama with English speaking instructors.

Alternatively you can catch the gondola right outside the hotel which takes you to the top of Higashiyama. From there it's a short ski traverse / walk to the Grand Hirafu ski area of Niseko United (2-300m).

Play on the Ace 3 Chair area for a bit, then make your way down the mountain to the Ace Family slope.

That's where NBS meets for group lessons at 10:30am every morning.

I think powder skiing is all about subtlety and nuance. Often difficult to communicate in a second language wink

mrtoastie,

When you've had enough of Canada I highly recommend Niseko. Will introduce myself to your mate.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy