Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

On ski carriage and bindings

Poster: A snowHead
Aiming to take two pairs of skis with me next season when I head out, and am trying to scheme up a way of avoiding unnecessary baggage fees. Flying BA, so can take one pair for free anyway, so was wondering how feasible it would be for me to unmount one pair of bindings (which could go in hold luggage) and then squeeze the extra planks in with the other pair in a single-pair bag, thus avoiding looking like I've got two pairs.

I've no idea how easy or sensible this is to do, so am after some advice - bindings are Atomix Neox 412s, skis are Metron M11:B5s and Nomad Crimsons. Alternatively I could just get a twin bag or a Sportube, but then I'm down to the whims of the check-in staff and their mood on the day...
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Can't see it being a problem myself. I always take half my clothing as padding in my ski bag.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I guess what I'm really after is people experiences of trying to take two pairs of skis without paying extra, and/or how easy it is to take bindings off like this and then re-attach them without it being a big safety risk...
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
PhilG, I always take two pairs in one bag, can get three in with a squeeze never been questioned as to how many in bag...... yet Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
PhilG, Dead easy with the Neox's. Next to VIST Speedlock bindings they're the best on the market for this kinda thing.

You slide the toe & heel pieces off both pairs of skis & then put both pairs of skis (which now just have the lower rail & brakes attached) in the ski bag. You'll need to put a wedge under the brake levers (which are attached to the lower rail) to lift them up to keep everything flat.

And if you're really tight for weight then you then only need to take one pair of toe & heel pieces in either your hold bag or carry-on luggage. Best to put em in cardboard box with a bit of bubble wrap around them as the long boot scale arms could get bent. It only takes a few minutes to swap the bindings from one ski to another if you just take the one pair of bindings.

I've done exactly as I've described on my last three trips with M:B5's/M:EX's, SX-B5's/M:EX's & SX-B5's/Nomad Crimson's.

To slide out the toe & heel pieces just follow the same process as changing the binding's fore/aft position but instead on just moving the toe/heel pieces to a different position simply slide them right out of the rail. Here's a link how http://www.jonsskituning.co.uk/content/view/35/50/

Call me if you get stuck.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
spyderjon, thanks for that - it sounds mostly simple enough, the only concern I have is about the forward adjustment screw; how precise does that adjustment have to be, and does it have any impact on binding release? Bottom line: while the instructions looks straightforward, am I likely to be risking my safety if I do this, given I've no prior experience of ski/binding maintenance (although I expect to buy a few bits from you soon snowHead )
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
PhilG, The toothed boot length scale on the Neox's is very fine/accurate & as long as you re-install the toe & heel pieces to the correct boot length then the forward pressure won't need re-setting, however it takes a second to visualy check it's correct (see my same web link). I've done this process loads of times with my Neox's & never had to alter the forward pressure.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Philg, if your going BA, then in my experience they DO NOT weigh your ski bag, so you can get 2 pairs in there Wink
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
As a regular flyer on BA (frequently with skis), it's been my experience that they don't even ask what's in the bag. It's a great way to get extra baggage on the plane without being charged Laughing. Their official policy is one piece of sporting equipment on top of your checked in allowance. On the website it states this:- "One pair of skis and ski poles or a snowboard or a monoski. Plus one pair of ski boots and bindings." As I said, I've never been asked what's in my ski bag, which always weighs much more than one pair of skis (and I expect the check-in staff have a good idea what a pair of skis should weigh). Funnily enough "sports equipment" can weigh upto 32kg, 9kg more than your suitcase can. I've not been on BA since the middle of August, but have heard that they're going to get very anal about the 23kg limit on the checked bags after this month. Normally a few kg's over the limit doesn't matter. I think a lot depends on the member of staff at the check-in desk. Earlier this year I was let off paying 120 quid for an extra bag because the nice BA lady was in a good mood and felt generous. Smile, and be pleasant, and they're far more likely not to ask difficult questions. After all, it's on a need to know basis what's in your ski bag, and they don't need to know the exact details.
Of course if you are going to North America you get an extra piece of luggage in your allowance, as you do when flying in World traveller Plus. Sometimes it can be worth paying the extra for the "Plus" just for the extra baggaga allowance. I only paid $100 extra for my wife's return ticket from Argie to London this summer for her to sit in the Plus section. This would mean that you check in three pieces instead of two.
As regards ski transport I normally put that grey pipe lagging stuff along each edge, and then wrap each ski in bubble wrap, but if you do this you'll only probably only get one pair in a bag. If you take the bindings off and wrap two skis together you should be OK. I've never had any skis damaged and always put a lot of extra crap in the bag.
Hope this helps.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Skier from Argentina, welcome to snowHead
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for the welcome.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Skier from Argentina, you are very welcome. Are we going to get any photos or TRs (trip reports) from Argentina?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

As a regular flyer on BA (frequently with skis), it's been my experience that they don't even ask what's in the bag. It's a great way to get extra baggage on the plane without being charged

I've found the same even on Ryanair, they weigh the bag esp on the way out but don't see how many skis, boots, clothes are in it. On the way home they often don't even bother weighing your ski-bag - I guess Austrian and Italian baggage handlers are a bit more butch than their British counterparts who can't even lift half their own bodyweight because of namby-pamby elfinsafety rules.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
PhilG, Last season I did the same: took my tyrolia bindings off my railflex plates (similar system to the neox and vist) and managed to squeeze the second pair of skis in the (single) ski bag.

I'm in the process of buying a double ski bag for this season, however, because not all my skis have detachable bindings. Has anyone had any troubles with the big double (or some even 4 pairs) ski bags?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ive carried 2 skis in a double bag w/0 problems for last 2 ski trip . charter companies don't check. I suspect BA don't check but they seem to refer to one sports bag rather than 1 skis. don't know about easyjetryanair
ski holidays
Buy a snowboard bag and put two pairs of skis in it.. it works a treat.. you can also use your clothes for padding ! Very Happy . I have done this dozens of times with no problem..

Well except for the one time I flew from Newcastle...

I was traveling in a group of 4.. two of us had two pairs of skis in snowborad bags, 1 a snowboard (in a snowboard bag) and my dad had the old mans skinny ski bag with one pair in it. We also had the majority of our clothing in with our skis. The check in staff went mad Evil or Very Mad and insisted that we try to squeeze all of our ski`s into 1 (yes one!!) bag Puzzled ... their reason being that our skis and clothes together weighed too much.. Puzzled I couldn`t get them to comprehend that 4 pairs of skis would weigh a hell of a lot more... while the manager was berating us for putting our clothes in with our skis another 10 or so people checked in with bulging s/board bags filled to the gunnels with stuff.. which irritated us no end... obviously we couldn`t fit all our skis in one bag.. so they started to tell us we wouldn`t be allowed to fly!!! Eventually after 40 mins they saw sense(ish) and let us squeeze 3 pairs in a board bag and one pair in with my mates snowboard.. it was absolutely ridiculous..

An absolute nightmare.. never will I fly from Geordie Airport again...

Ok.. sorry.. rant over.. but still perplexed by the whole saga Puzzled
ski holidays
mrtoastie,
Sounds bizarre. One way we used to get around the weight limit 25 years ago is we would get to the front of the check-in queue and if the case was overweight we would V-E-R-Y S-l-O-W-L-Y unpack the offending bag and put the clothes on until the check-in staff got fed up - it worked a treat!
ski holidays
Can I add another suggestion.....if you want to take multiple pairs of skis, why not just pay for the carraige of them? Or do you see getting away with it as putting one over on the airline?
snow conditions
mrtoastie, how bizarre. we've never had any problem, although EJ once made us check in our ski boots (we didn't have skis and it was before they charged) with the oversized baggage, much to the amusement of the guys at the desk.
latest report
Parlor,
I'm hoping to get 10 days in Bariloche at the end of the season next month (5th to the 15th), but work commitments look like they're going to put a stop to that, unless I can sneak off early. Shame, as the wife has been onto her friend, who has a hotel there, and it's still snowing. I've skied in Cerro Castor, which is where the British team (amongst others) seems to go. They were there two years ago. Haven't been to Las Leñas, but it's supposed to be more about posing and parading than skiing. Plus it's above the tree line and in the sun all day. It's also very susceptible to storms. When I get home next month I'll see if I can find some pictures.
latest report
Guvnor,

My view is that I'm paying for the carraige of a ski bag weighing less than the weight allowance (usually 32kg, but possibly 25kg) and its none of there business what I put in it provided its underweight, and not prohibited for carraige by air.

For example if I'm going to a xc ski race where I might have several pairs (of very light) skis if I had to pay for them all individually I wouldn't be able to go! So far I've not taken more than 2 pairs (1 skate, 1 classic) but I'm not a serious racers -our club juniors are and they do have more than 2 pairs of skis each.
latest report
Guvnor, it is not a case of trying to get one over on the airline.. it is a case of trying to minimise the cost of travel so that I have more money to enable me to ski more... !! It is already an expensive activity.. !! I work as an instructor in Canada. As an example I have to pay up for the following additional charges if I fly with Air Canada... in addition to the baggage fee..

Fuel Surcharges: For travel within Canada and between Canada and the U.S., the fuel surcharge is included in the base fare.

NAV Canada Surcharge: Nav surcharges within Canada are either 9 / 15 / or 20 CAD based on distance. For transborder itineraries, 7.50 CAD / 6.10 USD each way or 15 CAD / 12.20 USD per round-trip ticket. This surcharge is collected to cover the fees that Air Canada pays to NAV Canada to operate Canada's Air Navigation systems.

Insurance Surcharge: In order to account for the rising costs of aviation insurance, Air Canada along with other North American carriers have implemented an insurance surcharge. This insurance surcharge is 3 CAD, each way for travel wholly within Canada. (Some exceptions apply).

ATSC: The Canadian Parliament has enacted the Air Travellers Security Charge Act to fund security personnel and security equipment in response to the events of September 11. For domestic itineraries, the ATSC is 5 CAD one-way to a maximum charge of 10 CAD. For transborder itineraries, the ATSC is 8 CAD / 7 USD one-way to a maximum charge of 16 CAD / 14 USD.

Airport Improvement Fees: Many airports in Canada and around the world have implemented Airport Improvement Fees (AIFs). Some Airports collect these fees at the airport at time of departure, other's are collected at the time of ticketing and are reflected in the additional charges portion in your fare. Canadian Airports that include the AIF on your ticket are as follows: (All amounts in CAD)

.....airlines have got smart.. or has the consumer got a little blinkered by the apparent cheap air prices we now enjoy.... they have just stripped the charges out from the price and called them additional charges...
snow report
mrtoastie, I suspect the latter point is closer to the truth - we have been previously blinkered by 'cheap' prices versus 'all in' prices...

My point still stands though - they are the prices for the services offered, why is everybody so desperate to get round them? What other things do you apply this practise to? Do you share TV licences with neighbours? Do you attempt to hide things at the supermarket checkout? Try and get into the cinema for half price? Run your car on red diesel? All similar variations on a theme, but would you moan as much if you got caught by the respective authorities in these instances?
snow report
Drive you fools, drive Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

(this post comes with a warning that it is intended as fun and I at no point think that any snowheads are fools)
ski holidays
Guvnor, my main aim is simplicity - if they had a clear policy of "one extra pair skis = £10", I wouldn't worry, but you just know that if they did find exception, they wouldn't know how to handle it. BA don't do excess baggage on a weight basis anymore, so I couldn't just say "the extra skis are 4kg, here's some cash", it's a flat rate per bag, so this case would get very murky. Would I then have to pay for the entire ski bag for instance, simply because they didn't have a clear policy for this situation, which is £60 extra each way?
ski holidays
so phone the airline and ask them for the actual guidelines, rather than try and fins out the best way to avoid adherence to the rules
ski holidays
Guvnor wrote:
so phone the airline and ask them for the actual guidelines, rather than try and fins out the best way to avoid adherence to the rules

What a load of pedantic dross... rolling eyes
snow conditions
Sorry last bitching session about rip off airlines..

Glasgow to Kelowna (BC) leaving 21st Nov returning 29th Apr... it is nice to know that as a UK citizen we get special treatment from Canadian authorities.. it only costs us an extra £70.80 for the pleasure.. bargain Laughing

Passenger Type Adult
Base Fare 308.00
Fuel Surcharge 123.40
Taxes, Fees and Charges
Canada Airport Improvement Fee 3.90
Canada Security Charge 8.20
U.K. Passenger Service Charge 30.80
Canada Goods and Services Tax (GST/HST #10009-2287) 0.20
U.K. Air Passenger Duty 40.00
Total airfare and taxes before options (per passenger) 514.50

Number Of Passengers 1
Grand Total - Pounds Sterling £514.50
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
mrtoastie, Just remember that if your ski bag goes missing, all you can claim for is ONE pair of skis. A friend of ours tried the same trick borrowing a double ski bag but only paying for one pair of skis. Unfortunately the bag didnt turn up, after three days of waiting still no bag. When trying to claim for the loss, he didnt state there was two pairs in the bag ( thinking the airline would charge him for them ) then when he claimed off his insurance he had the original paperwork form from baggage claim stating only one pair of skis.

So the question you have to ask yourself how much is one of your pairs of skis worth ? If its more than the cost of ski carriage of em then theres your answer.
latest report
Bones, sounds to me that if he'd said there were two pairs when filling in the loss paperwork for the airline, he'd have been safe. No way for them to prove you didn't tell the check-in clerk it was two pairs...
snow report
have always had two pairs in one bag, never occured to us to do otherwise. We did once get some funny looks carrying a ski bag through Barcelona airport in October though.
ski holidays
PhilG,
Basically you have three choices; One, cough up £60 at the airport for an extra ski bag. Two, pre-pay online (if you can) in advance for the same bag and get a 30% discount on the excess charge. You can't do this on some routes, London to Buenos Aires being one, altough strangely you can going the opposite way Puzzled . Three, just turn up at airport with your single ski bag stuffed full to bursting point with skis, check-in, smile, and when they ask you how many bags you have, show your suitcase and then nonchalantly point at your ski bag. Keep smiling. I bet they won't even weigh it (but don't blame me if they call your bluff and you have to shell out some extra beer tokens Blush ).
snow conditions
PhilG, yup you re right, but as he had only paid/booked for one pair ( package deal ) and he expected em to turn up in a couple of days never really thought it through, at least he did have the good sense to describe/list as missing the new pair he'd just bought Smile We always used to to pack two pairs in one double ski bag, but the last few times we ve been to North America we take them in seperate bags( double bag each ) leaving ample room to pack gear in Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy