Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Bought Burnin' Luvs - need a lock - recommendations?

Poster: A snowHead
So, I've just gone and done it and figure I'd better have a lock. any recommendations?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Bin the lock and always swap a ski when you leave them unattended. Locks break, keys are lost, combinations fail, and they are generally a right fanny about. All IMHO of course.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've heard it's like that in Chelmsford.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Frosty the Snowman, I know, but from time to time I'm on my own at the mountain restaurant so no-one to swap with.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Jerry, Ho bloody Ho wink. why d'ya think I left Sunderland.....
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
holidayloverxx wrote:
Frosty the Snowman, I know, but from time to time I'm on my own at the mountain restaurant so no-one to swap with.

Not only that, it identifies your skis from anyone else's Burnin' Luvs. It's at least a deterrent to the opportunist thief or someone picking up the wrong skis by mistake. But we only use locks in France, no need in CH (touch wood) Wink
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
holidayloverxx, I have a Dakine Cool Lock, small enough to put in a pocket but enought to be a visual deterent. I'm sure that Liz B uses the same one as well and I know Michelle has one as she got it for Xmas Laughing.
Where did you buy your BL's from?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
holidayloverxx, how about your postcode in big black indelible marker letters??? Bit of a deterrent.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I never use a lock and have never had my skies stolen... knock on wood.

Who the heck steals skies on a mountain? Scousers can't afford to go to the alps!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Timmaah,
Quote:

I never use a lock and have never had my skies stolen

Me neither...but I think this could be a reflection on my skis Embarassed
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
holidayloverxx wrote:

Whats this? Nobby no mates. wink
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Lock your skis up. Get one of those retractable combination lock and it deters the accidental theft as well as intentional. OK if someone really wants your skis it probably won't stop them but it should make them chose an easier target. Swopping your skis is OK as long as the thief isn't sat there having a drink watching where skis get swopped to! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Timmaah wrote:
Scousers can't afford to go to the alps!
You'd be surprised! (Make the most of your skis while you have them now that he knows) Laughing
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Linds, I've bought the BLs from Sport Conrad. They;ll mount the bindings when I tell them the sole length of the boots I'll get at the boot clinic. Thanks for the rec on the lock

pam w, Shocked and spoil the nice orange and yellow paint job Shocked .....good idea but I'd rather claim on the insurance.

Spyderman, Not now I'm a snowHead. In reality though Mr HL and I do ski differant parts of the mountain then meet up. Also I;ll be pretty much on my own at the Atomic Boot Camp.

cathy, Yep - I think that'll be the plan.
snow conditions
 brian
brian
As long as you didn't buy the new season's model you'll be fine.
snow report
brian, previous season, so not at all desirable wink
snow conditions
I have one of these. Light and easy to use.

Motorcycle cable lock
snow conditions
Will a cheap lock make it easier to claim against insurance, even if it doesn't add much deterrent to them getting stolen in the first place?
snow conditions
rob@rar, Just claim for an expensive lock. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
kermit, thanks for that

rob@rar, got to be better than saying "I casually leaned them against a wall and wandered off for an hour"

I guess I'm really wanting to avoid the "taking by mistake" scenario. If they they get stolen then it's a PIA, but as long as I've taken reasonable precautions and can claim on the insurance then such is life.
ski holidays
holidayloverxx wrote:
but as long as I've taken reasonable precautions and can claim on the insurance then such is life.

I don't think many insurance policies consider leaving them unlocked and unattended as a reasonable precaution. I think there might have been a thread on this issue a while back, but IIRC there were only one or two policies that would cover ski theft from outside a restaurant.
ski holidays
rob@rar, I agree - I meant the reasonable precaution of locking them up.
latest report
rob@rar, just checked my policy:

"You must take suitable precautions to secure the safety of your baggage and must not leave it unsecured or unattended or beyond your reach at any time in a place to which the public have access"

I guess that mean I'll have to only go to restaurants with table service - a hard life wink
latest report
Timmaah, hope yer planning on some new skis this season Twisted Evil
snow conditions
holidayloverxx, ... If I need to lock I use

this one

from Halfords.

The smaller, retractable cable locks sold for locking skis are merely 'an indication' for a person not to take your skis - no deterent really - even a decent scissors will cut them

(Take a ski with you to Halfords to ensure the head of the lock is able to pass through the binding.)
latest report
BernardC, thanks - quite bulky though. Might have to start carrying a small backpack Shocked
latest report
BernardC wrote:
.... ensure the head of the lock is able to pass through the binding.

Just realised, I don't know what you mean Puzzled
snow report
holidayloverxx, when you lock up your skis you pass the cable through the bindings of each ski plus preferably to something permanent so they can't be picked up en masse. For my lock - and we have a couple for various reasons - there's no problem in the metal thingy at the end of the cable passing through. We just have the standard locks you can buy in ski shops.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
cathy, I think I need to be looking at a pair of skis, but I get the idea. I've only used those crappy ones which stop you lifting the skis out of a rack.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Charlatanefc wrote:
Timmaah, hope yer planning on some new skis this season Twisted Evil

I am indeed but after reading this thread and about all the "pikeys" that seem to get up on the mountain... I may have to think about getting a lock. NehNeh
ski holidays
..... best just to ski all day ..... Very Happy snowHead
snow report
To discourage your skis being taken by mistake: put one ski at one end of rack, the other on the other end. You'll be lucky to find both yourself. No chance of anyone else finding both. Wink
ski holidays
One problem with skis which are popular is people picking up yours by mistake - this has happened to us with rental skis, but they found their own way home at the end of the day. Best thing is to have skis not found in your ski area - my Volkls, last season, were always the only ones of their kind in the rack. Plus they were two years old, and last year's when I bought them, so I never had much concern about them getting pinched. My husband has Rossi Zeniths and they're four a penny. He puts strip of bright electrical tape on his - looks naff, though!
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
He puts strip of bright electrical tape on his - looks naff, though!

Snowheads stickers??
ski holidays
I use these. The cable is thicker than usual for these types of locks. A couple of years ago, after a lunch stop I saw a woman trying to lift a pair of our locked skis whilst saying to her family "They must be ours. They're yellow" rolling eyes Thankfully, the lock had stopped her. So a lock like this is good enough to avoid the "taking by mistake" scenario. ... and remember to avoid going to Resort X. wink
ski holidays
jtr, Razz

Mind you I've been considering a lock for my new ones too!!

However, this notion of passing a lock or cable through the bindings. Where is the point on the bindings that provides the opening to take the cable? or is it the case that put the ski faces together and wrap the cable tightly around the middle of the bindings so it is then the heel and toe of the binding that stops it from being slid off?

Puzzled Puzzled
ski holidays
Megamum, there is normally a gap around the rear binding/brake to push the end of cable through before inserting back into lock.
ski holidays
codger, Oh, OK, thanks - I'll look for it when mine arrive and find a cable with an end to fit.
ski holidays
kermit, yes, Snowhead stickers would be much better - must get some
ski holidays
pam w, then you'll be needing to visit the snowGear section Toofy Grin
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy