Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Are World Cup Downhill Events Worth Attending?

Poster: A snowHead
I have discovered that I am going to be in Banff at the same time as the Men's World Cup Downhill and Super G are being held in Lake Louise and I was wondering as it's going to be my first week and I am gagging (pure busting, as they say in this neck of the woods) to do some skiing would it be worth my while to go and see the races at the expense of my own ski time? Would I learn anything or gain anything from watching the pros? I'm not really one for standing around watching sports as I have always preferred participating, but would I be missing out on anything by not going?

Considered opinions and personal experiences are being sought here.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
if its on then banff should be nice n empty.. get some sking done..
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I don't think you'd learn anything by watching (unless your eyes work in slow-motion), but it's a good atmosphere, and if you want to see the racers up close it's a good opportunity to do that. I've seen the Men's Downhill and Combined events at Val d'Isere a few times and enjoyed it a lot. You don't have to watch the entire thing from start to finish, but at the very least I'd say it would be good to drop in to see what's happening.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
thewahwah, Definitely worth watching. Might be worth going for one of the training days, as you may get to share some space on the piste with the pro's.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the quick replies.

CANV CANVINGTON wrote:
if its on then banff should be nice n empty.. get some sking done..

That's exactly what I was thinking. I'm hoping to take 3 full days of lessons - would I be pee-ing off instructors by making them teach when they could be off watching their fellow pros at the height of their profession?

rob@rar wrote:
I don't think you'd learn anything by watching (unless your eyes work in slow-motion)

That reminds me of going to the Northwest 200 (an Irish version of the Isle of Man TT Races) - you see a millisecond of a motorcyclist speeding past you, not very exciting (admittedly I'm not a biker).

srobbo wrote:
Definitely worth watching. Might be worth going for one of the training days, as you may get to share some space on the piste with the pro's.

Good god, no Shocked. I wouldn't fancy wiping-out a pro with my inept sliding, destroying the remainder of their season and being chased out of town in to the bargain.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Worth going just to get an idea of the speed these guys do.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It's worth having a look at. You can go up the mountain on your skis, watch a few racers and then ski down (not the racetrack, obviously!)
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After the first half dozen it's like watching paint dry. I've been to a few and best thing about it is that other parts of the mountain are empty. Doubt you'll get same kind of atmosphere you get at Kitz, Schladming etc.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'd say its worth a look if you've never seen one before, if only to tick the "done that" box. But don't expect to see much - they just go past too fast
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
It's brilliant, got to do it at least once.
I'd say it's only like watching paint dry if you don't follow the tour - if you know who's who it's great.
Training days are when you can get up close to the guys, chat, take some pics - if that float's your boat.
Some pics below from Chamonix '05
http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/jerry.fisher@btinternet.com/album?.dir=/53d4&.src=ph&.tok=phLC_2DBvKSOSvAI
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Jerry, nice photos. I think I've seen those before (the panoramas from the balcony are memorable) but didn't realise they were your photos.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Cheers rob, and as this thread says (check out the pics at the bottom) what a difference a year makes.
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=537931&highlight=chamonix#537931
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Jerry wrote:
Cheers rob, and as this thread says (check out the pics at the bottom) what a difference a year makes.
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=537931&highlight=chamonix#537931

Yes, not a good difference though!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
thewahwah, it's worth 30 minutes of watching from a really good location (so they are at max Warp speed) - these folks sound jet propelled. Most impressive. Don't expect to be allowed anywhere near the race course until afterwards. But yes, it's cool. IMV. a good location isn't the finish, as with F1, find a good, fast, tough corner - ideally with a good bar terrace to sit and sup a beer on at the same time.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
thewahwah,

.....and I wouldn't be tempted to go near the racecourse after the race either - at least not the steeper sections, since it'll be sheet ice. (Or "Oh sheeeeeeit! Ice!!")
snow report
thewahwah,

The downhill was on when I was on Honeymoon in Lake Louise in 2004. I don't really follow it, but there is a really cool atmosphere in the finish area. Food, drink music etc. We stayed in the Chateau which was taken over by race teams. Only downside was that they all went to bed early and there was no one to party with in the saloon bar!!

I waould say it is worth a morning.
snow report
thewahwah, You should definitely go. You get absolutely no idea from watching TV what it's like. Yes - they go past almost too fast to see, but you will never forget the impression it makes to actually be there. Suppose you never get another chance? Yes - you may very well p*ss off the ski instructors if they can't go themselves. They might get work helping with the logistics too. You view of fast will be completely different afterwards, as will your amazement at what people can actually do on a pair of skis. Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy