Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

I've just found out the French bloke at work is a skiier.........

Poster: A snowHead
stanton wrote:
Why would anyone use new skis in popular crowded resorts, you'd be fair game to any potential thief and theres many, gangs even .
I certainly dont condone these actions after all it criminal
I have also been a victim 3 times in the 80's in the US (Killington) & in Europe (St Anton & Ischgl ) . Since then, the only pair of new ski's I owned I immediatly defaced by painting them (after all its only the base thats usefull) .
I now just by 2nd/3rd hand skis from anywhere (papers,charity shops,summer sales). This way if there stolen I know I have only lost €50 ! I leave my skis in the hotels that I frequent to save carrying them.

Well, anyone who buys their skis new (which must be 98 or 99% of ski owners) and has only one pair (which must be most of them) has no choice. And anyway, if you buy them you presumably want to ski on them.
But as for painting your skis - I've only come accross one person who did that. You aren't Tony G. are you?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
page 14 paragraph 6. of the ski club policy:
Quote:
The Underwriter shall not be responsible for ..... claims arising for Ski Equipment left unattended in a place to which the general public has access or left in the custody of a person who does not have an official responsibility for the safekeeping of the property

With a clause like that, think I'll be insuring elsewhere this year.

That's like a motor-insurance co. saying we won't pay out if you crash your car whilst using a road !

Ski-locks...
Those combination-lock things with a retactable cord from S&R.... AVOID !!
Had one, used it to lock some bags to the seats in BSM whilst waiting for the euro*.
Somehow, despite one of us always being with the bags and thus no-one else being able to interfere with them, the lock code re-set itself and thus couldn't be undone.
Had to resort to brute force and tear the cord out the lock. Would have been more awkward if it refused to split, what with a train to catch.... Shocked
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Oh, that French bloke - just before he's about to depart, break his kneecaps.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
austin7, most of the policies I've been looking at seem to have a phrase like that this year. Can anyone recommend a policy without such a restriction?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
up4it, your location is Berkshire, so I'm sure you'll understand the reference if I suggest you set his stapler - and every other item of his - in jelly, and absentmindedly call him "Gareth".
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
austin7, intrestingly I went and had a look at snowcards small print

e. Loss or theft of snowsport, activity or golf equipment
you are not carrying with you unless you have kept it
in locked accommodation or the locked boot of a car
or protected it by using a recommended locking device
secured to an immovable object (this exclusion does
not apply to skis left unattended during the day time
for the purpose of obtaining refreshments).

So you are covered during the day
with these guys if you want to have a break for lunch
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Snowball

Sorry not Tony G.

This is drifting a bit off topic however there is a kind of link between crap old skis & theft deterent ,

Its possible to hunt around and buy second hand skis which are as good as new . Even so if your proficient enough you can ski on any planks regardless of length , age.style. My current pair which I have here in Holland I actually found a couple of years back in a dutch junk shop for €35. I bought them for the M46 Competion Marker bindings but thought sod it, I might as well use the skis as well. They must date from around 1989-91. The bases are fine. Even went Heli skiing last season (had a bit of a job pursuading the Yank operator to accept me )
I only replace my planks when I break them. Most ski manufactureres reckon on a 10 year life for a pair of skis ie; 10*1 week ski vacation before the flex goes out of the ski. The last two seasons I have clocked up 130 days and these planks are still good till I break them . You can find some good bargains on this Dutch site http://www.marktplaats.nl Its in Dutch but you should be able to find your way around Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
There aren't enough suggestions on this thread on what to do with the guy.

I suggest you post this on the tgr boards. Or I'll do it if you want me to, and I'll post a link here to the thread. Those guys are creative types and they really hate ski thieves.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
up4it, if you are convimced that he is genuine, are you going to name and shame him?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
You could just post his e mail address Twisted Evil
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I had my skis go missing from the base area at Deer Valley, a few years ago. I'd locked them up with a retractable cable combination lock, but foolishly had not secured them to anything solid.

Turned out that at the end of the day, there was one pair of skis remaining on the rack - the same make as mine (Rossi Bandits) but a newer model.

Next day a sheepish guest returned mine to the base lodge, realising he'd taken the wrong pair away.

Still a dam nuisance though: I spent hours going back and forward between the hill, the police station ( to get a report for the insurance company) my hotel, the hill again (to retrieve my skis) and the police station (to tell them to mark the crime of the century up as "solved".
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
A word of caution: last season we had 2 pairs of new skis nicked from the 'cave' of an apt in Les Houches....the gendarmerie refused to record the theft unless we gave them the registration numbers of the skis. How many snowheads know their numbers Puzzled !

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Fri 22-10-04 7:30; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mac46, I am extremely surprised at this. A theft is a theft - I wouldn't have thought that they had the right to refuse to record it. It's not up to them to decide when the insurance has been invalidated for some reason. I would have asked them if someone broke into my apartment and nicked my television, would they refuse to register the theft if I didn't know the id number? Of course they wouldn't. Reckon you were had. (Maybe one of them nicked your skis!)
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Never the less forewarned is forearmed I shall go and look at the new skis right now and note the number
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hmmm. Just examined my policy - with Insure and Go through FTYourMoney - and discovered that I'm only covered for equipment left in "Your [emphasis is the insurer's] locked accommodation" or in the boot of a car. Roof racks are excluded unless locked during the daytime. To claim for a theft from a car boot, I must demonstrate evidence of "forcible and violent entry". I bet they'd disallow a claim from North America on the grounds that the skis were in the trunk, not the boot. Mountain restaurants are an absolute no-no.

In my experience, it's often impossible to lock equipment in your accommodation. Skis are usually banned from bedrooms, and equipment rooms are left open all day and are usually conveniently close to a door. Last year a guy in my chalet had some boots nicked from the 'locker' room - I wonder how his claim was regarded by the insurer.

A policy worded that tightly is effectively worthless. I might need to see if I can get an extension on my home insurance. And I guess I'll be looking for a better policy next year.

Is anyone actually happy with the wording of their indurance policy?
snow report
Most places I've been to have individual lockers in a room that is itself often locked most of the time. Simple to break into of course, but still, at least the policy would not be invalidated.
snow conditions
Perhaps it's the cheap and cheerful nature of the chalets that I've used that's led to an absence of lockers in the boot room. Your place must be more upmarket, PG Smile
snow conditions
Smile Wasn't really thinking of my place, but to be fair I've only stayed in hotels or self-catering, never catered chalets.

Our place has a deadlocked private ski room with a metal security door inside a locked garage basement, so I doubt thieves would bother!
ski holidays
A good few years back a mate of mine had his skis lifted during Apres SKi from outside the Piccadilly Bar in St Anton. He went to the Police Station to report but because he was just slightly intoxicated the Police told him to go away ! They first treat it like a case of mistaken identiy ie;someone else has gone off with the wrong pair and they may show up/returned in the morning . The Police Station in St Anton has at least 30 reports of stolen skis/boards per day .
ski holidays
My insurance specifically says that at on-piste facilities skis must be split if left unattended.
latest report
I was quite impressed by snowcard.co.uk, they specifically allow you to leave skis unlocked and unattended at lunchtimes, at other times however they are supposed to be in a secure place
snow conditions
This thread is getting me seriously worried. Even if your insurance is OK, as Jonpim found out last year in Val T, there is a massive hassle and LOSS OF SKI TIME! (Among the most precious commodities on the planet).

As a person charged with the custody of three new pairs of skis for self, wife and son, are there any recommended locks you could realistically use on the mountain? I don't remember seeing any in Snow and Rock's catalogue, or have I only just begun to be interested?

Any recommendations, or is splitting pairs (which I have always done) enough?
snow conditions
Locking ski racks are a good thing. the lock itself you buy yourself. It's a small rectangular kind of padlock thing that fits into the rack having put your skis into it and slid the locking bar across - you'd have to be a much more seriously committed thief to go for them (and why bother when most skis aren't locked up?)
Shame more places don't have them.
ski holidays
Two schools of thought for locks

1. Any lock is better than no lock, it will encourage the thieves to pick someone elses skis, so long as the lock secures the skis to something solid

2. Putting a lock on a pair of skis attracts the attention of thieves as they must be worth something, locks are rarely tough enough to stand up to a few mins work from a determined thief.

Most effective deterent, a chainsaw to the wrists of the thieves Twisted Evil
ski holidays
Most racks I have seen are just wooden pegs or metal frames. I suppose one of those lightweight bike cables would offer some protection, but it's one more thing for already crowded pockets.
latest report
Ray Zorro, I don't know his e-mail address.
latest report
Is that last post libellous?
well it's definitely not now! There'll be no lynchin' today folks! I suggest u ride on back to town and go about yer business - Sheriff Admin
snow conditions
On the strength of this discussion, I have just queried my own cover with my insurer as they are vague in the policy. They suggested that a bike lock would be sufficient for compliance.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Jonny Jones, "defamation is an injury to a person's character or reputation such that a right thinking person would think less of the injured person as a result of the injurious act. For there to be a defamation, the person injured must be living. There are two types of defamation, libel which is a defamation which is written down and slander which is a spoken defamation. It is a defense to an action for defamation that the words said or written were true." from www.mylawyer.com/glossary.htm

I would have thought that this discussion is the result of his admission and therefore would not be libellous.
ski holidays
Get Real.

How's anyone going to prove to an insurance company that there skis were locked with a padlock, etc ?? Who wants to carry around a ball&Chain lock ? Just leave your skis as everyone else does scattered about & relax your on vacation after all Very Happy
ski holidays
Jonny Jones, ,maybe but i doubt he reads this forum, and even if he does, i'm not making it up. Should i remove it to be on the safe side?
ski holidays
Ray Zorro, I think you're citing American law, not English, although I believe the two to be very similar in this area. I just wouldn't want Snowheads to have to suffer any libel claim from an enraged Frenchman who denied absolutely that he'd ever claimed to steal skis. What if a potential employer searched for his name on the net, found Snowheads and declined to employ him as his honesty is questionable? The damages claim could be significant.

Proving that he'd actually said what up4it claims he'd said could be very difficult. I'm not casting doubt on up4it's integrity, but could Snowheads rely on him appearing in court to defend the action? I simply suggest that it might be wise to remove his name from the site.

Still, it's up to the moderator to decide, not me. Let's see what happens...
latest report
Ray Zorro, this was based on an anecdotal account of an alleged verbal admission, so naming the guy could constitute defamation. The name should be removed.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Fri 22-10-04 11:56; edited 1 time in total
snow report
On another issue, the mods are good but can't be everywhere. Naming someone in this manner is unnecessary - the poster should edit his post.
snow report
I've edited the name out, to be safe, while we find out. I hope no one has any objections??
snow conditions
up4it, just noticed that you're a relative newby around here. I hope I haven't sounded too agressive and put you off Snowheads for life.

You've certainly started one of the more active discussions we've had of late. Don't let me put you off Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
up4it, I'd wait till monsewer le sticky fingers was off on his winter break, then make an anonymous tip to the local police, suggesting that they may wish to link recently missing skis with the particular piece of effluent that has just floated into the resort. That or a few faxes/emails sent to the local bars the day before he arrives, ideally with his photo, better yet both options ! Twisted Evil
latest report
Chris Bish wrote:
This thread is getting me seriously worried. Even if your insurance is OK, as Jonpim found out last year in Val T, there is a massive hassle and LOSS OF SKI TIME! (Among the most precious commodities on the planet).

When my board was stolen I claimed on my home insurance which was on a new for old basis as opposed to my travel insurance (Columbus) which would have heavily discounted the replacement value. Barclays home insurance paid up pretty quickly.

As for loss of time - yep, that was the real hassle. A complete day lost going from Arc 1800 to Bourg St M as there was no police station in Arc 1800. Then had to find two decent hire boards which was not easy (hire boards are usually rubbish compared to the quality of hire skis) and my g/f took at least a day to get used to her hire board and so I had a day of dealing with mid-piste strops as well!!

at least the insurance money bought me a nice new set-up

by the way - it was stolen from a 2nd floor apartment balcony.
ski holidays
Tony Lane, there's always been a gendarmerie that opens during the season in Arc 1600, as well as the main one in BSM...
But the point about losing precious snow time stands...
latest report
PG wrote:
Tony Lane, there's always been a gendarmerie that opens during the season in Arc 1600, as well as the main one in BSM...

then the 'helpful' girls in the 1800 tourist info office wasted even more of our time than necessary!!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy