Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Manchester - Chill Factor e

Poster: A snowHead
desperate times!
its my bosses 40th today and I rang up to book him on the 'high speed carving' lesson for £50 only to find it isnt running yet
are any of you aware of a decent advanced ski class I can get him in on? the Chill Factore staff didnt seem to have a lcue what I was talking about

oh and asap pls!!! his presentation is in 2 hours... Shocked
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Monkfish, I rang up a while ago asking about the carving and/or moguls lessons... I was told that these run "on demand" and that there is never enough demand so effectively they never run - probably why they didn't know what you were talking about!

You could book him a Private Lesson at Chill Factor?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
First posting on here, but have been reading for sometime.

vivski wrote:
rumour has it that CFe are going to stop all race clubs other than their own from training there.......I only have this on rumour at the moment, but from a few different sources....

Yep - they've 'kicked out' racers who train with other clubs on Sunday mornings. My son's club was one of them. As he's only 8 at the moment and didn't do a lot of sessions, so he wasn't greatly affected, but he'd planned to increase it next year. Also, some of his team mates are now in England and GB children's squads. Being based in the Midlans meant Manchester was ideal for a weekly session. Castleford is now our nearest, maybe MK and then next year Hemel will be opening - but your talking about a 4am start for a 7am training session!

I can, to a certain extent, understand CFe's decision from their perspective of 'it's our slope' but next year there could be as many as 15 or 16 indoor snow races on the summer race calendar. Many racers have now lost the opportunity to train regularly for these. Short-term gain for the CFe racers, but long-term loss for GB ski racing?

Frankly, I find it a rather selfish and short-sighted decision.

Also, we were quite literally kicked out at 9.00am, so I'm wondering who else trained beyond this time for the gates to still be out at 11?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
magic_hat wrote:
Monkfish, I rang up a while ago asking about the carving and/or moguls lessons... I was told that these run "on demand" and that there is never enough demand so effectively they never run - probably why they didn't know what you were talking about!

You could book him a Private Lesson at Chill Factor?

looks that way ...we spent the rest of his collection on space hoppers, novelty coffee mugs etc so we only had £50 left in our budget ...private lesson £90 (which seems pretty extortionate!!!)
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Jon.L, short-sighted indeed - there seems no way the CFe's own club could absorb all the racers from all the other clubs who train there and as you say many are top flight racers already or aspire to be so removing the option to train there seems terrible - especially from the "home of the english alpine team"! A great loss to the future of GB skiing.

Personally I have only been a few times so far but intended to go more often once my financial situation improved cos wanted to get more into snow racing as well as plastic but that's pretty much done it for that idea Crying or Very sad

I also wondered who was training till 11 cos the couple of times I have been with avalanche we have also been swiftly kicked out at 9.... unless one particular week there were delays in getting racers onto the slope in the morning cos I've heard of that happening before!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I heard that they had another staff clearout at chillfactore what a shame they got rid of a really really horrible person that thought he was it and obviously he wasn't. Ha
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Has anyone skied at CFe recently? I've not been for over a year, and would be interested to hear any recent feedback.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
beanie1, we're up there every week with our son. It's much quieter. He skis in the Kids Club on Sats at 9.00. At that time apart from the kids groups there are few other skiers on the main slope. It gets busier by 11.00 but not much. In recent weeks I have never seen more than about 6 people in the lift 'queue' and you can usually have the slope or one side of it to yourself for a run for the first hour at least. The kids club is great now, it was a bit chaotic on some weeks in the season, largely due to the numbers and turnover of kids. Now it's quieter, generally the kids are regulars and there are less of them. There's a really good bunch of instructors, all great and really keen with the kids. There are also a couple of really good older kids from the race club who help out with the kids which is nice.

Last week it was busier on Saturday as it was the first of their 'Summer League' race events. I have been up there a couple of times during the week in the past couple of months and it has been very quiet, the last time I was there on a Monday afternoon a couple of weeks ago the lights were off over half the slope which was a bit grim.

I've never been up in the evenings so wouldn't know how it is then.

A few changes around the place: one of the shops has closed down, the one which was the first on the left as you walked in, sold mainly boarding gear. Signs up saying Surfanic store coming soon. Looks like one or two other units are still free although they're a bit disguised by one of those expensive pick your own sweets stalls. The downstairs cafe has been taken over by Costa. The future bookings desks near the changing rooms have all gone now and been replaced by the hire clothing section. All the bookings/ticket pick up all happen in the foyer now. They have removed the ticket barriers at the entrance to the changing rooms.

Anything in particular you wanted to know? snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
IIRC, that shop was Dare2B.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
altis, Dare2Be is still there, it was the one next to it that's closed, I think it was called Adrenaline Junkie? Anyway it says Surfanic is coming which is the same as Tog 24 I think.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
sarah wrote:
altis, Dare2Be is still there, it was the one next to it that's closed, I think it was called Adrenaline Junkie? Anyway it says Surfanic is coming which is the same as Tog 24 I think.

No, they are completely different companies, with no connection at all I am aware of (and Tog24 is 50 years old, while Surfanic is only 9 years old).
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
beanie1, I was there for the Summer League race last Saturday, the snow was in good condition with only a couple of places on the lift tracks where the matting was showing through. The building still feels well finished.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
There are some beginners coming on one of my holidays next year and was wondering if anybody has done the beginners course at CFe? If you have or know of people who have would you recommend my mates doing it before we go i.e will they have learnt enough to go into level 2 lessons in the resort or will they still be classed as an absolute beginner.

Thanks
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
cham08, I wou;dn't do the learn to ski in a day course, I'd do the course that splits the 6 hours up into 3 sessions. 6 hours in one stretch is too tiring, they'll progress more by splitting it up.

Don't know if they'd be able to go into Level 2 after this course though, it really depends on the level of everyone else in that group. If everyone in that group has done a full week skiing before then I doubt your friend would be able to join them unless they are a real natural. However, doing the beginner course will certainly be worthwhile and help your friend progress more quickly. If there are enugh people at ski school that week then there may be a class of people who've done a similar amount.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
cham08, I like the learn in a day it gets you to recreational standard in one go. Yes they can expect to be sore and tired but they'll get over it.
If it goes well they should be at level 1 (based on ESF). By the end of the learn to ski in a day controling a snowplough is what it aims to do. But I would recomend a few practice sessions to consolidate this otherwise they could get put back to beginner if it all falls apart on holidays.
BUT it means they will be able to use the indoor facility to practice. Maybe take another lesson or do the informal coaching evenings (Wed in Tamworth cant speak for anywhere else). If they get to doing some basic parallel turns they should be ready for level 2 no problem.

We are all sooo different in our learning curve and confidence and how well one can get back up and go again are big factors.

Level 3 would require they have been on a mountain as it can get onto black terain and varied snow quite quickly IME but is a reasonable expectation for 2nd week fast learner willing to make a few mistakes and learn from them.
latest report
Beanie/RPF thanks for your advice, much appreciated.
snow report
How busy does the Chill Factore get during the kids summer holidays does anybody know? Thanks
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy