Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Brand new skis - ready to use or not?

Poster: A snowHead
David Murdoch wrote:
SnowHot, How does wax protect the bases? It all gets scraped off Puzzled I've always just used my skis straight out of the plastic. Well, I get the bindings added I suppose. Maybe that's why they only last around 120 days?

Unprotected bases are more likely to get base burn. Some manufacturers prepare their skis for shipping with some product on the bases and may not need a wax before use, but most don't.

I'm kind of a wax freak. I like to be specific about my temp/snow condition wax as the weather and snow conditions change.
I'm almost embarrassed at my compulsive attention to this. Embarassed
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
holidayloverxx wrote:
SnowHot, Aaah - wave magic is my alternative - to be honest, I would like to test more but the BL price is just too good to miss.

Megamum, I hope someone answers your questions, I don't know the answers either. as far as regular tuning goes I pass nottingham fairly often so can detour to spyderjon when necessary. I quite fancy having the lesson so I could do it myself.

First of all..........if you're interested in the wave spice at all, you should read my review posted here.
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=638717&highlight=#638717

Second, spyderjon is among the best in regard to ski maintenance. I really like his attitude about doing quality work and helping "us" to have the knowledge to do it ourselves.
Kudos to him for that!!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
David Murdoch wrote:
SnowHot, How does wax protect the bases? It all gets scraped off Puzzled I've always just used my skis straight out of the plastic. Well, I get the bindings added I suppose. Maybe that's why they only last around 120 days?

Very Happy 120 days or around 20 week's by which time the ski's are out of fashion anyway Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
boredsurfin wrote:
David Murdoch wrote:

Very Happy 120 days or around 20 week's by which time the ski's are out of fashion anyway Very Happy

Quite honestly........
I have a quiver of skis, and rarely keep a pair long enough to do more than one or two complete tunes on them.

I still say that a good hot wax and scrape is necessary to protect the bases, having had base burn on a pair of skis several years ago, I don't want to experience that again.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
SnowHot, what is base burn?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
holidayloverxx wrote:
SnowHot, what is base burn?

Someone more technical than I can probably better explain this but I'll try.

The activity of skiing causes friction on the base of the ski, which will also cause heat. If you ski until your wax is worn off, or without waxing, the bases can get dry and scaly looking, similar to a piece of wood that is dried out. When this happens, the best resolution is a base grind to get back to "virgin base material".
Skis with base burn generally don't hold wax well.

Someone smarter than I am can correct me if I'm wrong.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
And there was I thinking that wax was an optional extra, something one may choose to apply to improve the skis performance.

Save for exceptional conditions, isn't it fair to say that skis natuarlly go too fast for most of us anyway, that's why we spend so long figuring out how to turn them ?

I just find that spending the best part of £400 for new skis they should be 'ready to go' for 80% of recreational skiers ? In the past I've bought several pairs of skis, and a board, and at no time has any retailer suggested waxing before use, although that was an option on my recent Ski-Bilek purchase.

Is this 'pre-waxing' notion a recommendation from the ski manufacturers?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Do you get base burn on snow?

I always presumed that plastic did heat damage so waxing is very important even if only to protect the base but on snow waxing was about getting them to slide well rather than stopping burn - am I wrong?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
roga wrote:
Do you get base burn on snow?

I always presumed that plastic did heat damage so waxing is very important even if only to protect the base but on snow waxing was about getting them to slide well rather than stopping burn - am I wrong?

Base burn can and does happen on snow.
There is still friction, otherwise, why would you need to wax to go faster?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
masmith, A well tuned ski/board might well go quicker in a straight line but the skier controls that by completing their turns etc. It's the other benefits that are really desirable:

- easier to turn
- better edge grip
- better glide (for less poling/walking on the flats) -
- reduces wear

These are benefits to all skiers irrespective of ability level. For those who are tackling gnarly lines then a well tuned ski could also have safety implications, ie the ability pivot easily &/or to hold an edge in a 'turn or die' situation. Warren Smith is currently writing a piece regarding this for my website.

Those that doubt the benefits of a well tuned ski/board have obviously never been on one.

BTW, the majority of UK retailers are pretty ignorant on the subject.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
spyderjon, If I am wrong on any point, please feel free to correct me. I love learning more about this stuff and am happy to be used as a bad example. Very Happy
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I don't doubt the need to look after my investment and they are likely to be over-cared for rather than ignored.

However, I must echo the sentiment made by masmith, above - whilst I accept tht some skiers will prefer to treat a new ski with a temperature specific wax anyway I too would have thought it wasn't asking much of a manufacturer charging those sorts of prices for skis to ensure that they came out with a 'ready to go' general temp wax finish so that you can try them out straight away.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Megamum, ski manufacture is a very competitve business so the cost of any 'extra' processes done after the ski has effectively been finished, like base cleaning, waxing or sidewall removal, comes striaght off the bottom line. No surprise then that some manufacturers cut back in this area to gain/retain competitive advantage & so satisfy our continuous quest for cheaper products. So it's our fault really.

BTW, the wax doesn't need to be temperature specific, a uni wax will do. Higher level skiers will often do 4/5 wax applications will a soft wax or a specific base prep wax to build up the amount of wax in the base.

If you think this is all a bit anal, to put it in perspective a World Cup race tech tuning speed skis (ie DH/SG) with probably perform about 50 wax cycles with loads of brushing in between before the skis ever hit the snow.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
spyderjon, Is there a thread on here about the process of waxing?
I know we've discussed it on Epic in detail, including brushing and corking, and scraping, oh my!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
SnowHot, I had a look at spyderjon's, web-site last night (follow the links he gave above for those products) and there is some really useful info on how to do all this on the left hand links. (Oh, golly.......am I hooked?!!)
ski holidays
Quote:

(Oh, golly.......am I hooked?!!)

You mean you still have doubt (about BEING hooked)? Wink
snow report
spyderjon, what's sidewall removal?
snow conditions
holidayloverxx, Used mine straight out of the box. You and me, red hot skiers we aint. Trust me I'm not a doctor, they will be fine. Save your dosh and get them serviced by spyderjon after the first week. Skiers like you and be aren't going to bug-up a decent pair of skis in 6 easy days skiing.
latest report
I JUST BOUGHT THEM!!!! Burnin' Luv 153cm, previous season, incl bindings, mounted and delivery £225.00.....me very happy Very Happy
ski holidays
holidayloverxx, Well done. If this thread's anything to go by, mine are going back.
snow report
Shopping list for Lockwoods on boot fitting day.... Poles, wax, bag, de-burring stone....anything else (apart from boots Laughing )
snow report
holidayloverxx, If you're looking for a bad influence to help bend the credit card you're going with the right person wink
snow conditions
Megamum wrote:
. (Oh, golly.......am I hooked?!!)
Is this the first recorded use of the word "golly" this millennium?
ski holidays
SnowHot wrote:
There is still friction, otherwise, why would you need to wax to go faster?

Fair point, as a not particularly scientific bod I just presumed the snow cooled the base even if there was friction but I stand corrected Very Happy
snow report
Frosty the Snowman, Razz Razz
ski holidays
SnowHot wrote:
You need to make sure you have something to sit on...
snow conditions
holidayloverxx wrote:
I JUST BOUGHT THEM!!!! Burnin' Luv 153cm, previous season, incl bindings, mounted and delivery £225.00.....me very happy Very Happy

Woohoo Cool
ski holidays
holidayloverxx, way to goooo.............I missed the post, join the bad influence club, how many more girlies can we corrupt into ownership? It sure feels good doesn't it - don't forget to post piccies when you get them. snowHead
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Jerry wrote:
SnowHot wrote:
You need to make sure you have something to sit on...

OOOF!
I'll keep that in mind for the future!!!
Thanks!
snow report
spyderjon, thanks for the tip Cool
latest report
holidayloverxx wrote:
spyderjon, what's sidewall removal?

Have a quick read of this .

On some makes of ski the sidewall needs trimming back before any hand sharpening/polishing of the edges takes place as the sidewall snags on the tools. The very popular K2 Recons is an example of this. If you have a shop tune then this isn't required as the edge grinding machine grinds the sidewall at the same time as grinding the edges.

holidayloverxx, the factory edge angle spec on your Burnin' Luv's is 0.5,2 which as you now know from reading the link above means a 0.5 degree base edge angle & a 2 degree side angle. It's important to remember this so that you can specify these angles to the shop/tech when you want them servicing as if you don't they'll just put the skis through their machine on their default setting (usually 1,1 or 1,2) & that increase on the base edge angle will noticeably change the characteristics of the ski (you'll have to tip it more to engage the edge in the snow) as well as removing material unnecessarily. And if the side edge is reduced to 1 degree it will reduce edge grip & again is removing material unnecessarily.
snow report
spyderjon, Ok, I get it - can you remember for me wink
snow report
spyderjon, OK, I'll bite and be cheeky with it - how about my Wave Magic angles or is there a website I can look them up on please?
snow report
spyderjon,
Quote:

It's important to remember this so that you can specify these angles to the shop/tech when you want them servicing as if you don't they'll just put the skis through their machine on it's default setting (usually 1,1 or 1,2) & that increase on the base edge angle will noticeably change the characteristics of the ski

That's a bit alarming. I've never said anything to a shop/tech, other than 'please service these skis', on account of not having a clue what to tell them. Embarassed Embarassed Any chance of your letting me know whether I have to memorize something to tell a shop about my Head iXRC 800s (other than advising them to wear sunglasses against the horrible colours - including ORANGE, Megamum! - but they wouldn't go with your gear, they're bright blue/orange, not black/orange.)

Another question. When I bought those skis a couple of years ago, I hardly did any off-piste, and I've been satisfied with their performance on piste. I'm going to try and do some more off-piste next season - do you think I'll have trouble with them? (Crosses all fingers, on account of not wanting to buy any new skis.)

Thank you and sorry for dumb questions.
ski holidays
holidayloverxx, Mrs Axs LUVS her burnin luvs! - enjoy Laughing snowHead (are yours the yellow/orange /red ones ?)
ski holidays
Megamum, Elan's factory spec tends to vary from model to model & they just quote 0.5 to 1 for the base edge & 0 to 2 degrees for the side edge. I've not tuned any Wave Magics so don't know the factory angles however charatanefc's Elan Magfire 8 came with a 1,2 set up. I've a
database
on my website that I keep up to date so I'd suggest you ask Gavin at Elan what the WM's angles are or that get your local store to measure them when you get 'em waxed. When you get the info I be grateful if you could let me know so I can update my site.

EDIT:Snowhot, just remembered you've got Wave Magic's. What are the factory angles, although being a good tuning geek I'm sure you've put a 3 degree side angle on them by now wink

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Mon 17-09-07 23:02; edited 2 times in total
latest report
AxsMan, thanks - yellow and orange - not this seasons which are more red I think.
snow report
Yup, those are the ones - look coooool! And (more importantly!) Mrs Axs found them MUCH better than her old rossis, particularly in icy conditions. They gave her a huge confidence boost. She also leaves me in her wake now Embarassed c'est la vie!
snow report
AxsMan, I have never liked Rossis either
snow report
spyderjon wrote:

EDIT:Snowhot, just remembered you've got Wave Magic's. What are the factory angles, although being a good tuning geek I'm sure you've put a 3 degree side angle on them by now wink

I just got the skis and haven't taken the time to check out the specs on the edges just yet.
It will be a few months before I can use them, but I suspect I'll ski them a bit on the current spec then go with a 3. I kept the 1/2 on my nordica last year, which was fine, but you're right about the Speed Magic.

AxsMan wrote:
Yup, those are the ones - look coooool! And (more importantly!) Mrs Axs found them MUCH better than her old rossis, particularly in icy conditions. They gave her a huge confidence boost. She also leaves me in her wake now Embarassed c'est la vie!

The good thing about being left in her wake, is that the BL doesn't throw up much snow spray!!! Laughing
I've skid on the burnin luvs and the rossi's.(several rossi's in fact, for demo and review). I found the rossi's to be "uninspiring". the Burnin Luvs were fun enough that I bought them! Loaned them to my sister and can't get them back.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy